NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Tracy MidGrady said:

An example of why he's worth 52 billion 

Perhaps. But Facebook saving money on naming their cafeteria isn't why Zuck is worth $60 billion.

I read somewhere that Ballmer earns something like $2 million a day without doing a single thing. He's so awash in money he could operate the Clips as a non-profit and give tickets away.

There's savvy business manuevers (like Mark Cuban and broadcast.com), and then there's being in the right place at the right time and your product fundamentally changes our economy and you can live off residuals and have more than you could ever spend.

Ballmer is in a class of his own compared to other NBA owner wealth.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Ballmer is in a class of his own compared to other NBA owner wealth.

And, that's why I hope ... and believe ... he'll win the Battle of LA against the Lakers.

His passion and business savvy is light years from the current Lakers' ownership situation and will be until the Buss Family sells.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Steve Ballmer is worth $52 billion.

What does he need to sell arena naming rights for?

He doesn't "need" the money. But it does help the valuation of his team, his staff, and the players.  

Even Paul Allen couldn't say no to free money. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

45 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Steve, don't you tempt us with the possibility of getting rid of your awful logo and colors. Don't you give me that hope...only to have it crushed. 😟

And, I think in that story he was still talking about possibly changing the team name. Something I hope they don't do. As horrid as the Clippers history has been they're the Clippers and they're past is every bit why I've been a fan for nearly 30 years.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I suspect the fruits of lack thereof from the Kawhi/George era will go a long way in deciding how drastic the rebrand goes. Like the Curry era locking the Warriors into that "Golden State" moniker even when they've jumped across the bay.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

I suspect the fruits of lack thereof from the Kawhi/George era will go a long way in deciding how drastic the rebrand goes. Like the Curry era locking the Warriors into that "Golden State" moniker even when they've jumped across the bay.

True. It's tough in the current climate of the NBA though, with players not really committing to playing in one place for a long time (Steph, aside). You have to start a team's rebrand at least like 2-3 years in advance of a change, and by the time you finish and present it to the public, your "main attraction" players might have left already and your team might be in a lull of success. I think Kawhi and PG will be free to leave in 2 (or is it 3?) years, so you're starting the rebrand now, betting on them to have success and them both wanting to continue the success past their current contract obligations. Agonizing spot for the FO.

I guess all those factors are why we're seeing less wholesale brand changes in the NBA these days. Just tweaks here and there and no real risks being taken. Sad times, indeed.

EAq7QIyVUAATuZc?format=jpg&name=large

Please Spurs...just please...be unique instead of plain.

Then again Pistons fans on here hollerin BLOODY MARY at the teal years over their "classic look". Spurs doing this would get the same reaction since they won 5 championships not too long ago.

But as a advocate for both rebrands. Bad Boys were long gone except Dumars and same for Spurs big 3. Time to rebrand.

shado_logo.gif

Spurs don't need a rebrand. They're a no nonsense franchise and need a no nonsense brand. What they've worn for the last couple decades is fine for that. I like the Fiesta logo, but the only reason it worked is because they wore neutral colors on their uniforms to offset the garishness of the fiesta colors.

bSLCtu2.png

54 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Spurs don't need a rebrand. They're a no nonsense franchise and need a no nonsense brand. What they've worn for the last couple decades is fine for that. I like the Fiesta logo, but the only reason it worked is because they wore neutral colors on their uniforms to offset the garishness of the fiesta colors.

Spurs fans would be up in arms if they changed the jerseys that drastically. Atleast I would, we have (I’m biased) a top 3 uniform in the league

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

28 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

Spurs should keep their main jerseys. Keep their main logo. Keep all that classiness. But I would like to see an alternate city edition jersey that’s fiesta themed. 

This is the best case scenario. There is nothing wrong with their jerseys now, at most they can do a City or a different alternate that has the Fiesta vibe. It keeps both sides happy.

5 hours ago, Digby said:

Yet another opportunity to return to light blue / orange San Diego colors.  RwB really contributes to the generic team feel.  Orange/sky blue would be so much more of an identity that could have been cemented with lob city, and now they have another, somehow even better chance.  But the timing is wrong with 2024.

The alternate jerseys are a possible way to put a foot in the door though.  Orange/blue city jerseys could be a test run and help establish the identity early , similar to rams throwbacks and maybe browns color rush

6 minutes ago, Ark said:

Spurs won a championship in the Fiesta era, so there is no argument against embracing the Fiesta. 

Except there is. They won four titles after dropping it.

The Fiesta runs contrary to the Spurs organization’s ethos under Popovich. No-nonsense black/silver/white is the best course of action.

22 minutes ago, chakfu said:

Yet another opportunity to return to light blue / orange San Diego colors.  RwB really contributes to the generic team feel.  Orange/sky blue would be so much more of an identity that could have been cemented with lob city, and now they have another, somehow even better chance.  But the timing is wrong with 2024.

The alternate jerseys are a possible way to put a foot in the door though.  Orange/blue city jerseys could be a test run and help establish the identity early , similar to rams throwbacks and maybe browns color rush

I’m totally down for a light blue and orange. I absolutely loved the light blue city jerseys they had two seasons ago. It’s a clean cut and cold combination. And would be such a fresh breath of air.

Plus i believe it would leave the sixers and Pistons to be the only rwb team? Which judging from previous comments that they are the two most deserving teams of rwb. 

IMG-7122.gif

A team's success in an era is the worst reason for why or why not a team should wear that era's uniform today (or use an identity in this case). The fact that they won in the Fiesta era makes that argument a non-starter. 

7 hours ago, kimball said:

And, I think in that story he was still talking about possibly changing the team name. Something I hope they don't do. As horrid as the Clippers history has been they're the Clippers and they're past is every bit why I've been a fan for nearly 30 years.

Just need to go back to the boat theme. It’s a great name, they should actually embrace the real meaning. Get rid of the black and go blue red and baby blue. 

Archived