NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad the Jazz have moved away from purple, especially with the note logo, yeah it pays homage to their roots but it's more of a New Orleans thing. 

The black and copper alternates did stand out, maybe they should try a navy, purple and copper scheme? Leave the purple in for historical/sentimental value, use the navy to tie them both together

1 hour ago, Haz_Matt said:

I'm glad the Jazz have moved away from purple, especially with the note logo, yeah it pays homage to their roots but it's more of a New Orleans thing. 

The black and copper alternates did stand out, maybe they should try a navy, purple and copper scheme? Leave the purple in for historical/sentimental value, use the navy to tie them both together

Navy, purple and copper? That sounds horrible. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

2 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Something along these lines

spacer.png

You could MAYBE get away with that if the navy blue was MUCH darker almost like a black. But, I still don't think that works.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

33 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I know it’s just a screenshot, but have the Lakers gotten closer to their former gold/yellow?

HA ... I wouldn't put money on it.

kimball banner.png

On 8/4/2019 at 1:48 PM, Haz_Matt said:

The stuff they have now, except for the red rock jersey, is nearly identical. Even the statement and earned editions had the same base design, just different word marks/logos on the chest.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Am I the only one who hates their number font? The logo was created in the 70s but the font is so 2010s. They clash badly to my eye. 

37 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

Am I the only one who hates their number font? The logo was created in the 70s but the font is so 2010s. They clash badly to my eye. 

I like it better than the block they have from 2010-16. And it’s all suppose to tie in with the 66% slant that the Jazz logo font is at along with the piping cuts on the shorts. Could they do something better? Probably? But, I don’t think there are a lot of ways going about it.

The one thing that does bug me the most about the number font is the open 4

864088198-utah-jazz-v-minnesota-timberwo

kimball banner.png

13 minutes ago, kimball said:

I like it better than the block they have from 2010-16. And it’s all suppose to tie in with the 66% slant that the Jazz logo font is at along with the piping cuts on the shorts. Could they do something better? Probably? But, I don’t think there are a lot of ways going about it.

Number font is top 5 in my opinion. Too many teams have the same font. I love how unique Utah's font is.

shado_logo.gif

17 minutes ago, kimball said:

How about a standard block font? Sometimes, the wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented. 

spacer.png

12 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

How about a standard block font? Sometimes, the wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented. 

spacer.png

Block numbers aren’t exactly a good match to the rest of the team identity or the style of the uniform. They only “work” because they’re ubiquitous and generic, which is good if your team has the same “classic sport Americana” look and not much else (like the Celtics or Giants, for example), but otherwise tends to look a bit default and/or undercooked. Personally, I think the Jazz bring a little more polish and personality to the table with their identity, and a block number feels a bit antiquated in the context.

Their identity pieces are a mix of curves, high contrast forms, angled terminals, and a support typeface for the word UTAH. The numbers match the support typeface, bringing a little roundness to the corners and angled terminals to support the graphic elements in the ball, the note, and the Zs, respectively.

Distinctive type is one of the best ways to increase the versatility and potential of your identity, though you have be careful not to overdo it because it can quickly turn into a disaster. I think the Jazz are toeing the line quite well with their pieces (thanks to our very own Ben Barnes, who is the creative director in Utah).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

In a vacuum, the blue/green/yellow Jazz set looks okay, but they really hit on something special with their City uniform. Real Salt Lake uses blue/red/yellow and is generally a pretty handsome franchise.

There's a long history of the blue/green/yellow look in Utah, but their best days were actually in shades of purple, and they haven't really mattered much since, with the exception of the brief spark of D-Will and AK-47 and now with Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert.

Team eras can be defined by uniforms, and the current Jazz uniform is evoking a past that was attractive but not all that special.

It's a good time to consider a 2020/21 switch to shades of yellow and red. Donovan Mitchell is a Player to Watch, the overall Jazz squad is trending to be good for at least the next two years, and the franchise is on the rise. If people want classic Jazz stuff, they can find Mitchell & Ness Stockton and Malone stuff. Why not make something new and exciting for a new and exciting core?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Why not make something new and exciting for a new and exciting core?

Because, with limited exceptions, there's really no such thing as a core in the NBA, especially without a superstar. 95% of the league is rent-a-player. 

The blue-green-yellow is a great look for the Jazz, and M&N is still available. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

24 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

It's a good time to consider a 2020/21 switch to shades of yellow and red.

Switching to a purple, sky blue, teal, copper and black palette was a bit of a stretch for the Jazz. But, it KINDA worked because the font was "jazzy" and purple, green (teal) and gold (copper) was still somewhat represented.

A full-time switch to yellow and red for the Jazz wouldn't work. It only works now because the City jerseys aren't necessarily meant to stick with the team's color palette. 

kimball banner.png

Archived