NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Oh please no. I hate every single one of our black jerseys, it doesn't fit with the team, it's technically not one of our colors, and it says Buzz City Every. Single. Time. I hate 'em, and I hope we burn those jerseys as soon as we can. I'd like to see a green jersey, since Charlotte likes to call itself a "green city", and one of our two city flags is green. Judging by the promo image here, we'll see another bland black Buzz City with a vague theming that doesn't make sense. If you really want an accurate City jersey for Charlotte, you'd either put the city name or the official nickname, not a stupid nickname made up by marketing people who don't understand this city, and you'd lean into our history. Make jerseys based on the Revolution (where the Hornet's Nest nickname comes from) or NASCAR, not "flight". Use themes and ideas fans can relate with, and tie into the city. Not to mention, the teal and black don't look good together. Oh well, we'll see another Buzz City jersey that looks awful, fitting for this awful franchise that can't seem to do anything right.

Sorry, I needed to vent about MJ's ownership and how it sucks again. Not excited for these new jerseys.

As a non hornets fan what you said makes perfect sense. Out of all nicknames I see buzz city making the least sense. Though I personally do think black and teal look pretty neat (especially with that fading to purple in the 2017 city editions). I like the sleek futuristic vibes of it. Dark and “neon” kinda like tron vibes

But then again I’m always having unpopular opinions here and getting made fun of for it 

IMG-7122.gif

11 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

As a non hornets fan what you said makes perfect sense. Out of all nicknames I see buzz city making the least sense. Though I personally do think black and teal look pretty neat (especially with that fading to purple in the 2017 city editions). I like the sleek futuristic vibes of it. Dark and “neon” kinda like tron vibes

But then again I’m always having unpopular opinions here and getting made fun of for it 

Our first City, the one with the teal fading to purple, wasn't bad. I didn't like the black numbers on black jersey, but the colors outside of that looked neat. Last year's was awful, because it made no sense. Charlotte isn't the "City of Flight", we're the Queen City, but the Hornets seem to be completely oblivious to that. I honestly don't like how the teal from our logo looks on black, not to mention black isn't one of our colors. Every single black jersey is BFBS, and they all have that awful Buzz City nickname on them. We could be seeing really neat concepts like a modernized pinstripes jersey (my personal hope) or something relating to Charlotte's self-proclaimed "Green City" status. Honestly the Hornets name and identity is completely wasted on MJ and Nike. They clearly don't understand why we love the throwbacks so much, or at least don't understand the idea of brand integrity at all. I'm hoping someone buys the Hornets from MJ and changes the logos and jerseys to a modernized Hugo logo. As much as I hate to say it, New Orleans had an excellent update of Hugo, and I literally would've preferred we just take that logo and make it teal/purple rather than blue/yellow. 

13 hours ago, Conrad. said:

It's definitely not a black jersey. 

Thank God.

the user formerly known as cdclt

5 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Our first City, the one with the teal fading to purple, wasn't bad.

I think it was really good, actually. Put the team or city name on it, make the lettering teal or even purple, and you’ve got a great alternate. Still BFBS, but a good looking BFBS.

ExJworW.png

6 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I think it was really good, actually. Put the team or city name on it, make the lettering teal or even purple, and you’ve got a great alternate. Still BFBS, but a good looking BFBS.

Yeah, but BFBS is inherently bad. That same template could work wonderfully on any of our other colors, but MJ and the org continue to shove black down our faces.

All the hornets black jerseys fade into one another, i actually don’t remember the specific designs because they’re literally identical. I’d say move away from black entirely and make a permanent fauxback, or a fusion between the modern uniform and 90s uniform.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

13 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I’m guessing/crossing fingers it’s a purple throwback for Charlotte.

That’s my hope, but the coloring is in teal and black ... I’m guessing it’s more of a statement/city unveiling. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

All the hornets black jerseys fade into one another, i actually don’t remember the specific designs because they’re literally identical. I’d say move away from black entirely and make a permanent fauxback, or a fusion between the modern uniform and 90s uniform.

I agree. I’m not a Hornets fan like some on this thread, but when I think of the Hornets’ jerseys I think of two things ... pinstripes and teal. I know the NBA wanted different logos, etc. when the Bobcats took on the Hornets nickname, but MJ and Nike should try to connect the two franchises a bit better. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

15 minutes ago, kimball said:

I agree. I’m not a Hornets fan like some on this thread, but when I think of the Hornets’ jerseys I think of two things ... pinstripes and teal. I know the NBA wanted different logos, etc. when the Bobcats took on the Hornets nickname, but MJ and Nike should try to connect the two franchises a bit better. 

The problem is the original logo is designated as a "legacy" logo, making it literally impossible to use it as a primary unless the NBA un-designates it. We can't even use it outside of throwback stuff and marketing, which sucks because it's much better than the current logo. If we had just recolored New Orleans' updated Hugo, our identity would be so much cleaner. My ideal situation would be an updated Hugo accompanied by updated classic jerseys, and a burning of everything related to MJ's tenure as owner, especially the nickname "Buzz City".

13 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

The problem is the original logo is designated as a "legacy" logo, making it literally impossible to use it as a primary unless the NBA un-designates it. We can't even use it outside of throwback stuff and marketing, which sucks because it's much better than the current logo. If we had just recolored New Orleans' updated Hugo, our identity would be so much cleaner. My ideal situation would be an updated Hugo accompanied by updated classic jerseys, and a burning of everything related to MJ's tenure as owner, especially the nickname "Buzz City".

I hate the Buzz City nickname and it should go. Don’t they have a Hugo logo in their logo set? I’d start there with maybe a new wordmark. But, at least incorporate pinstripes somehow.

kimball banner.png

5 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

How about the new Hugo Logo? Just add the words Charlotte Hornets somewhere on it to satisfy the NBA’s dumb “every Primary Logo must have Team Name” rule and done.

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

Just so you know, if you saw the Pistons logo without the team name, you would have a hard time identifying them. It would be a red basketball with white seams and a blue border(and then a smaller chrome border). None of it screams “Detroit” or “Pistons”. They’re only using it because of its championship success in the late 80s. The logo was a product of 70s “let’s use the team name and city name in a basketball” obviousness.spacer.png

2 hours ago, Shadojoker said:

19d5eb1a3477c0f30afe81f60db3dd2e.jpg

Ive always loved the black, teal and the white combination (sans the sleeves)! The last 2 HORRIBLE "Black numbers on black jersey" = terrible idea.

img_1113.jpg?w=788

This with white outlines on name and number would have been perfect and legible. 

change that awful Buzz City to Charlotte and i’m sold 

Archived