NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

18 hours ago, simtek34 said:

How about the new Hugo Logo? Just add the words Charlotte Hornets somewhere on it to satisfy the NBA’s dumb “every Primary Logo must have Team Name” rule and done.

spacer.png

Not quite the same, the original Hornets logo had a basketball and also wasn't wearing Air Jordans. Something like this is what I'd want:

https://imgur.com/wVEbo8f (I can never seem to figure out how to embed images, the link always turns red for me.)

I just generally don't like that logo, it doesn't have the charm of the original.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Just so you know, if you saw the Pistons logo without the team name, you would have a hard time identifying them. It would be a red basketball with white seams and a blue border(and then a smaller chrome border). None of it screams “Detroit” or “Pistons”. They’re only using it because of its championship success in the late 80s. The logo was a product of 70s “let’s use the team name and city name in a basketball” obviousness.spacer.png

To be fair, if you didn’t slap on the team name, the Knicks, Lakers, Nets and Rockets logos pictures here would be pretty worthless as well.

2 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

To be fair, if you didn’t slap on the team name, the Knicks, Lakers, Nets and Rockets logos pictures here would be pretty worthless as well.

True, true. But I was responding to simtek34’s comment of...

18 hours ago, simtek34 said:

Just add the words Charlotte Hornets somewhere on it to satisfy the NBA’s dumb “every Primary Logo must have Team Name” rule and done.

It’s not dumb, it’s there for international use and and recognization.

10 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

And why does it look like Hugo ate the basketball?spacer.png

HAHAHA! I was just going to comment how much I hate the basketball butt on Hugo. I'd love a redesign of the original.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

legngwiheii4eld1u0agakxhc.gif?

also, i did this many moons ago...

9b8701a1a7e7ff3e5b4c803f8bd3e074.jpg

2013! Damn...

I think a simple recoloring of the last New Orleans logo would be perfect. It has the classic charm while retaining sharp lines and feeling like a modern logo. Obviously, the names would need to be changed, but it's literally exactly what I want in a Hornets logo. Hugo has the ability to stand the test of time, and the fans love the classic stuff. I honestly feel that if the team had stayed, that's what we'd have. 

6 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Ugh, no cartoon logos, please.  I can see it in the 90's but not now.   I like the latest one.

But it's what the fans want. The new one is fine for an expansion team, but the Hornets have history, and just like the Pistons, Knicks, or Lakers, we have a right to utilize that history, even if it doesn't make perfect sense design-wise.

the user formerly known as cdclt

23 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Just so you know, if you saw the Pistons logo without the team name, you would have a hard time identifying them. It would be a red basketball with white seams and a blue border(and then a smaller chrome border). None of it screams “Detroit” or “Pistons”. They’re only using it because of its championship success in the late 80s. The logo was a product of 70s “let’s use the team name and city name in a basketball” obviousness.

1) It works as a merger of basketball imagery with a top-down view of a piston.

2) To your point specifically....and?

14 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

1) It works as a merger of basketball imagery with a top-down view of a piston.

2) To your point specifically....and?

1) To the casual fan, I doubt the first thing they would see is the top of a piston, whereas if you remove the Wordmark from, let’s say, the Bulls, you can tell that it’s a bull.

2) I was pointing out to simtek34 that the rule for team names is necessary in some cases. 

On 8/18/2019 at 5:38 PM, simtek34 said:

How about the new Hugo Logo? Just add the words Charlotte Hornets somewhere on it to satisfy the NBA’s dumb “every Primary Logo must have Team Name” rule and done.

Just now, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

2) I was pointing out to simtek34 that the rule for team names is necessary in some cases. 

Ah, fair enough. Still, I think Hugo the Hornet is a case where it isn't needed :D 

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Ah, fair enough. Still, I think Hugo the Hornet is a case where it isn't needed :D 

Hugo is recognizable, with or without a bulbous basketball butt.(oh, how I love alliterations)

16 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Wow, crazy how different the conferences were aligned then compared to now

I think it’s amazing how many of these logos stuck around for so long ... Rockets, Jazz, Sonics, Celtics, Lakers,Hawks, Suns, Bucks, Bulls, etc. Those stayed at least 20+ years. That’s amazing. Today we change logos twice a decade it feels like or tweak it often.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

19 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Wow, crazy how different the conferences were aligned then compared to now

Speaking of conference alignment, the structure was pretty weird in the late 80s/early 90s for the Magic, Hornets, and Heat. All 3 of those teams took turns in the Western Conference's Midwest Division (one season apiece from 1988-89 to 1990-91). And they actually had western conference type schedules too. The T-Wolves were exempt from this.

Charlotte Hornets Announce Return of Purple Throwback Uniforms

August 20, 2019 - 16:42 PM

The Charlotte Hornets this afternoon unveiled their new “Classic Edition” uniform that the club will wear for a series of games for the upcoming 2019-20 NBA season. Throwing back to the mid-1990s, the Hornets Classic uniform this season will be […]

Read More...

Archived