Fresh NBA Concepts | Utah Jazz (10/30)

DrJack

On 12/27/2018 at 9:10 PM, BellaSpurs said:

The only thing that set needs is the removal of the lines in between indiana and pacers,also the court better replicate the jersey. Otherwise it gives me Colts vibes which isn't a bad thing!

If I removed the lines, it wouldn't resemble a center court!  I do love the idea of matching courts though . . . maybe I'll follow up this series with some court designs.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:54 AM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Happy to see the template is being put to good use!

The Blazers' Association and Icon Edition uniforms are very crisp -- the simple design really emphasizes the color palette and striping pattern. My only suggestion would be to slightly reduce the thickness of the nameplate and numerals -- currently, they feel a too big to accommodate longer last names and/or two-digit numerals.

The Blazers' Statement Edition uniform offers a unique take on the diagonal sash design element, and I think it really works. I'm a bit skeptical about two things, though: 1) the rounded 'trail blazers' script clashes with the linearity of the numerals, side panels, etc.; and 2) the slightly-lighter-than-black shade of gray feels a bit off. I think a more cohesive script and a simplified color palette could go a long way for this uniform.

I also really like what you've designed for the Pacers! It's a simpler, more classic version of what they currently wear -- it's a bit vanilla in the context of their all-over-the-place uniform history, but I think it's perfectly fitting for a basketball team in the heart of Indiana. My only suggestion would be to incorporate a bit more yellow into the Icon Edition uniform -- as-is, it feels a bit too much like the Nuggets' new Icon Edition uniforms and not enough like the Indiana Pacers.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for the rest of the League!

Thank you much, that means a lot coming from you!  I struggled with adding more color to the Pacers navy set, because I wanted the navy/white color scheme to be strong so that the gold statement set would really pop, but I hear you about not "looking like the Pacers."  Here's a version with a bit more yellow and I think you're right, it is a better look.

JhYHbzy.png

On 1/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, jaytavo305 said:

Pacers are beautiful, your 2 for 2!

On 12/27/2018 at 7:59 PM, GDLions said:

My god! The Pacers set is insane! It's an original idea thats perfectly done, bravo!

Thank you all for the kind words!  I hope y'all like the next ones as much as the past two!

And with that, let me post the next team . . .  the San Antonio Spurs!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Spurs, I wanted to really push the black and silver color scheme.  For that reason, the only white you'll see in this set is the Association uniforms.  The wordmark is simplified, but has a modern twist on a classic aesthetic.  The side stripes on the Association and Icon edition uniforms form a 'spur' on the shorts and the inline stripes echo the wordmark and the numbers.

The statement uniform is a bit more wild.  It incorporates the first custom logo I've added to a set so far with the state of Texas on the shorts.  The different color shorts and jersey are something that people see as a "throwback", but its a look that I wish was more common in the modern game.  I know it feels a bit bizarre, but it is a design element I"m planning on bringing back for a few different teams in this series.  The stripes at the hem and waistband are supposed to call back to the inline design of the wordmark and numbers on the Icon and Association uniforms.  I'd love some feedback on this set in particular!

zh3oThj.png

ZZSrmKL.png

LzXIbhI.png

Thanks y'all.

Oooh the Spurs are interesting (in a good way)! I’m digging a lot of it. Things I really love are your takes on the wordmark and font, and the way you’ve unified it with other striping elements of the uniform. I also love the striping itself and how you have the spur on the shorts sticking backwards; that’s a really clever touch that I really appreciate and is evidence of the thought you’ve put into this. That Texas logo is really nice as well.

I really appreciate that you went for something different on the statement uniform, and though I usually don’t like different solid colors between jersey and shorts, I think this could actually work with some tweaking, and I don’t think it has to be too much at all; I think if you changed to collar from solid black to something like grey-black-grey or even black-grey (so that grey is the color along the edge closest to the neck), it will mimic the striping you have on the shorts better and unify things juuuust enough to pull it all together!

All in all, I really enjoy this Spurs concept a lot. Very well done!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

10 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

I struggled with adding more color to the Pacers navy set, because I wanted the navy/white color scheme to be strong so that the gold statement set would really pop, but I hear you about not "looking like the Pacers."

I'm not sure I follow your thinking here -- since they would never be on-court together, I don't think the existence of a yellow Statement Edition uniform would preclude you from incorporating more yellow on the navy Icon Edition uniform. It feels like a bit of an unnecessary box to place yourself within.

That being said, I think your update works very nicely! I think the single-color white trim along with the single-color yellow wordmarks and numerals creates clean, stark contrast against the navy base color. Well done!

Your take on the Spurs' Association and Icon Edition uniforms is very cohesive, which I like a lot. Maintaining the same simple pattern across the neck trim, side striping, wordmarks, and numerals creates a clean look that amplifies the sharpness of their color palette. I also really like the spur logo detailing on the bottoms of the shorts.

My one minor suggestion for both of those sets would be to rework the spur logos - both in the wordmark and on the bottoms of the shorts - to make it look more spur-like. The current five-point design looks a bit more like a wonky star.

As for the Statement Edition uniform, I really like this as a start....I think there's a lot of potential here! Split-color uniforms can go one of two ways, but I think this one is certainly headed in the right direction. 

I think the biggest thing that can be improved upon is the consistency. The neck trim is solid, while the waistband and bottom of the shorts trim are triple stripes. Also, the thickness of the bottom of the shorts trim feels a bit too consistent with the thickness of the waistband trim in terms of proportion. You may also consider incorporating white as a unifying color to tie the silver jersey in with the black shorts -- looking at similar uniforms, your current design resembles Ohio State and Syracuse more than it does Oregon

I also think you could use a thicker, bolder typeface for the wordmark and numerals -- it might lend itself better to the simple design aesthetic and color palette with which you've started.

Overall, another solid and unique set. Keep up the good work!

12 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I think the biggest thing that can be improved upon is the consistency. The neck trim is solid, while the waistband and bottom of the shorts trim are triple stripes. Also, the thickness of the bottom of the shorts trim feels a bit too consistent with the thickness of the waistband trim in terms of proportion. You may also consider incorporating white as a unifying color to tie the silver jersey in with the black shorts -- looking at similar uniforms, your current design resembles Ohio State and Syracuse more than it does Oregon

21 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I think if you changed to collar from solid black to something like grey-black-grey or even black-grey (so that grey is the color along the edge closest to the neck), it will mimic the striping you have on the shorts better and unify things juuuust enough to pull it all together!

All in all, I really enjoy this Spurs concept a lot. Very well done!

The feedback is much appreciated.  You guys are right; the striping has to really hit the mark in order for the Statement uni to read as one uniform and not two separate pieces thrown together.  I've made a few tweaks that I think help tighten up the design a bit.  Let me know what you think!  Also, I added the Texas logo to the belt buckle location on the Icon and Association unis as just another little detail to tie the three sets back together even more.  

9SbPQbF.png

Fgq7Iw6.png

pXurnhi.png

6 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

All of these look great! 

I'm actually partial to the original white collared version of the Blazers. 

The Spurs are pure genius. Great use of the spur element on the side panels. 

Thank you!  I am still kind of with you on the Blazers white collar.  As a flat design, it is the one that appeals to me the most.  However, in live action I'm not quite sure.  I have always liked this look, and this look kind of irks me in a weird way.  

Phase 2 of this prioject (once I've beat all the designs to death) will be to put together some player renderings and get some portfolio pages together.  I'll mock-up both versions of the Blazers then and that may be where I make my final decision.  Thanks for the feedback!

7 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

I'm not sure I follow your thinking here -- since they would never be on-court together, I don't think the existence of a yellow Statement Edition uniform would preclude you from incorporating more yellow on the navy Icon Edition uniform. It feels like a bit of an unnecessary box to place yourself within.

That being said, I think your update works very nicely! I think the single-color white trim along with the single-color yellow wordmarks and numerals creates clean, stark contrast against the navy base color. Well done!

Yeah, I didn't explain that very well.  The concept from the beginning was to place the Pacers back in time a bit with a very simple navy/white scheme where the gold was strictly an accent.  Then the Statement edition really stands out.  Like a guy who wears jeans and a black t-shirt everyday, then throws on a tux once and a while and everyone says "wow"...  However you're right, once I set up the parameters for the design concept I needed to go back and look at the final outcome to make sure I had what I wanted.  I had boxed myself in a bit, and adding more yellow is a good way for the Icon set to look more like the Pacers without blowing up the concept.  

As a Spurs fan AND as a basketball coach.... I love the white and black unis, those scream the Spurs. The silver set? Burn it with fire. Contrasting top and shorts feels too much like practice gear to me. That's not a knock on your execution, just the concept behind it. Maybe aim for using the Fiesta colors with the main template instead? Also, maybe make the white uniform silver instead, not every team needs a white uniform after all.

7 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

The feedback is much appreciated.  You guys are right; the striping has to really hit the mark in order for the Statement uni to read as one uniform and not two separate pieces thrown together.  I've made a few tweaks that I think help tighten up the design a bit.  Let me know what you think!  Also, I added the Texas logo to the belt buckle location on the Icon and Association unis as just another little detail to tie the three sets back together even more.  

9SbPQbF.png

Fgq7Iw6.png

pXurnhi.png

There we go! In my opinion, I think that little change on the collar made a big difference. Very nice! And I like the addition of the Texas logo on the other waistbands as well!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

19 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

Unifying the striping pattern across the neck, waistband, and shorts bottoms is a small change, but judging by the looks I think it makes a big difference!

I'm curious about the uneven/off-center striping pattern, though. Everything else in the set - trim, wordmarks, numerals, logos - has an even triple striping pattern with a contrasting center color. That cohesiveness is part of what makes this a strong set of designs. Is there a reason it was suddenly abandoned on the updated version of the Statement Edition uniform?

On 1/12/2019 at 8:54 AM, Hoopladawg87 said:

Unifying the striping pattern across the neck, waistband, and shorts bottoms is a small change, but judging by the looks I think it makes a big difference!

I'm curious about the uneven/off-center striping pattern, though. Everything else in the set - trim, wordmarks, numerals, logos - has an even triple striping pattern with a contrasting center color. That cohesiveness is part of what makes this a strong set of designs. Is there a reason it was suddenly abandoned on the updated version of the Statement Edition uniform?

Yes, there was thought behind it yet.  Glad you asked!  Full disclosure, I'm an architect by profession and I tend to overthink these things . . . 

The Icon and Association sets were easy.  Jersey base color, and then thick/thin/thick striping in contrasting color.  See below:

3UCcYA3.jpg

The Statement jersey was harder because of the mismatched tops and bottoms.  The waistband of the shorts is where it transitions from gray to black and if the waistband goes with simple, “even” triple striping, the top of it would be against the gray jersey and the pattern wouldn't read right.  You'd have a super thick gray block, thin black stripe, thick gray stripe, black shorts.  So with that in mind I laid out the whole thing as a striping pattern and leaned into the uneven-ness. See below:

IkQoubx.jpg

This striping pattern accounts for the transition from gray jersey to black shorts, and could theoretically go on forever.  I'm just taking a slice of the pattern for this uniform, but if you were to continue it, below the hem of the shorts would be another large gray block and above the collar of the jersey would be the transition to the next large black block.  Because the mismatched jersey and shorts is such a strange look, I'm trying hard to look at the uniform as a whole and treat the entire thing as a cohesive composition.  This was my attempt at doing that.  

Hope that makes sense!  

On 1/11/2019 at 7:06 PM, HoopsCoach55 said:

As a Spurs fan AND as a basketball coach.... I love the white and black unis, those scream the Spurs. The silver set? Burn it with fire. Contrasting top and shorts feels too much like practice gear to me. That's not a knock on your execution, just the concept behind it. Maybe aim for using the Fiesta colors with the main template instead? Also, maybe make the white uniform silver instead, not every team needs a white uniform after all.

Haha, thank you?  I expected this response from at least a few people and coming from a basketball coach it makes sense.  When I played, my school didn't have matching tops and bottoms until you made varsity.  One pair of green shorts, and then a green or yellow top depending on if we were home or away.  There was something that felt "big time" about getting that matching set of uniforms, and an opposite "practice squad" feeling about wearing the mismatched set.  So I understand the feeling.  However. . . I don't think that is a failure of the concept or design in general.  That's just tradition speaking - and a fairly new tradition at that, because mismatched sets used to be common back in the day.  Soccer, baseball, football, lacrosse, hockey . . . every other sport wears contrasting tops and bottoms at times.  Why not basketball? So that's where I'm headed with this series.  Not every team will get the mismatched treatment, but a handful will.  Maybe by the end I'll make a convert out of you!  

As far as fiesta, or the all silver, those are both great ideas.  I considered the fiesta set, and think I may incorporate those colors into the City uni.  For the all silver, I'll try that out and see what I think.  A three uniform rotation of silver, black, and silver/black would be pretty nice and definitely unique.  Thanks for the suggestions!

I’ve waited a few days to comment to see if my opinion would change and I think I’m ready to comment. Originally (as a traditionalist-ish) I disliked the more drastic changes, especially the removal of white and font change. I do have to say while I think a bit of white would really make the whole away set pop more, I definitely don’t hate it. And for the font, I’m still not so moved on, the current font has been around in some form since the 90s and i don’t quiet hate the lettering, just the inline. And for the alternate, mismatched doesn’t look good at all for any team imo, it just doesn’t carry along that professionalism that it needs. I also am gonna have to say a no to the font on that jersey. It’s to thin and just doesn’t look right, that and the number needs to be under the San Antonio. If you want to go something cool as an alternate, I’d suggest the 90s fiesta warmup jackets. They had a nice cursive font and a cool design I think could translate well to a Jersey.

Now I do think you did some good things, such as the updated striping I really like. And the font is almost there on the home and aways. I really like the Texas logo, especially on the waistband, looks really clean! And while I think the black jerseys could use some white. They look really intimidating and good as well!

The home and aways are really well made and I’m sorry if I nit picked this to death, lol. Just felt passionate about this.

Keep up the great work!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I’ve waited a few days to comment to see if my opinion would change and I think I’m ready to comment. Originally (as a traditionalist-ish) I disliked the more drastic changes, especially the removal of white and font change. I do have to say while I think a bit of white would really make the whole away set pop more, I definitely don’t hate it. And for the font, I’m still not so moved on, the current font has been around in some form since the 90s and i don’t quiet hate the lettering, just the inline. And for the alternate, mismatched doesn’t look good at all for any team imo, it just doesn’t carry along that professionalism that it needs. I also am gonna have to say a no to the font on that jersey. It’s to thin and just doesn’t look right, that and the number needs to be under the San Antonio. If you want to go something cool as an alternate, I’d suggest the 90s fiesta warmup jackets. They had a nice cursive font and a cool design I think could translate well to a Jersey.

Hey, thanks for the feedback.  I'm fully aware these concepts aren't all going to please everyone, especially since I'm be taking some risks.  Even so, I appreciate anyone taking the time to give a thoughtful review!

I considered using that exact 90's fiesta warmup script for the Statement jersey, but decided against it for fear of coming across as an attempt at a "faux-back".  I'm trying to take the Spurs identity forward a couple decades, because (as you note), many of their current design elements have been around since the 90's - and frankly I don't think they're all that good.  The Bank Gothic-y font and the chunky numbers and the way the logo is awkwardly shoehorned into the wordmark . . . none of it works all that well, imo.  It's almost too bad that Duncan & Co. made the 90's-00's look so recognizable, because it's now hard for the franchise to move on.

I chose the inline font because it has some of the beef and strength that I identify with the Spurs, and as a design element it also allowed me to seamlessly work in the spur under the U and tie into the striping.  I was focused on creating the cohesiveness that I see the Spurs lacking currently.  In the Statement uniform, the narrow font is actually an adaptation of just the inline from the other two uniforms.  It's beefed up a bit and stretched vertically to take up more real estate, but it's the same font family.  Again, trying to keep a cohesive identity.  

Sounds like I missed the mark in your book, but still, thanks for the feedback.  There will be City uniforms coming eventually, so look for some Fiesta flair in that set.  For now I'm doing some tweaking on the next two teams and I hope to get those posted this week.  

On 1/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, Duck_Duck said:

Thank you!  I am still kind of with you on the Blazers white collar.  As a flat design, it is the one that appeals to me the most.  However, in live action I'm not quite sure.  I have always liked this look, and this look kind of irks me in a weird way.  

Phase 2 of this prioject (once I've beat all the designs to death) will be to put together some player renderings and get some portfolio pages together.  I'll mock-up both versions of the Blazers then and that may be where I make my final decision.  Thanks for the feedback!

That's a highly cogent argument. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had hoped to get two concepts posted last week, but then I started tinkering . . . then work got crazy out of nowhere . . . then I got high I went out of town for the weekend. . . then next thing you know and here we are.  No excuses, play like a champ!  Without further ado, the Detroit Pistons!

The Pistons have a long history of clean, classy, almost boring uniforms which has periodically been interrupted by some wacky ass :censored:.  I don't mean that in an entirely bad way, just that they've had some crazy designs.  What I tried to do here was to start with their more classic design elements and push them just a hair closer towards the wacky.  Nothing crazy, but nothing boring.  Classic red, white, and blue, classic racing stripe side panels, classic circular logo, etc.  Then I played, by bringing the racing stripes across the chest, dropping the number into the circle and the team name below.  I updated the wordmark using an adapted version of Draplin's DDC Hardware font to give the team some of the blue collar muscle that Detroit is know for. 

I miss Detroit's red alternates so I knew I had to bring them back with the Statement uniform.  I drew some inspiration from some older Pistons looks and brought back the lightning bolt, incorporating it into the side panels.  Nothing crazy, nothing boring . . . except that Flagstar Bank patch.  That thing is awful.  Yikes.

nF4T9Cg.png

10Kgn5G.png

c7266Ib.png

Y'all's feedback has been top notch so far.  Keep it coming!

I really like what you have done with the Pistons! Detroit is a hard project, somewhat limited in ideas and yet so much history. Of the bunch I must say the Association and Icon were my favourites. Really like the Hawks inspired lines and the focus goes to the DP logo. You have also been able to keep the fan-favourite side lines which is a nice touch as well :) Great work man! :) What is next team up? 

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

Archived