Fresh NBA Concepts | Utah Jazz (10/30)

DrJack

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/27/2018 at 8:27 PM, Duck_Duck said:

Thank you!  I wish the same thing, lol.  

I still find myself going back and forth on which red jersey design I prefer, but for now I'm leaning towards the chest number over the original design.  I've updated the 3 uniform sets below to include the jersey sponsor (sigh) and the other minor tweaks. 

moR8xDQ.png

Q8BqBUu.png

C9giDHD.png

Of course more feedback is always welcome, but I'm going to move on and post the next team . . . the Indiana Pacers

To stick with the pinwheel inspriation, one side of the hash marks need to be white.  Kudos on keeping it 5 hashmarks per side/article.

Alright, alright, alright... next up is the Phoenix Suns!

Probably the biggest design risk I took here was removing black from the Suns identity entirely.  With such a striking contrast between bright orange and deep purple, I've never really seen the value in adding black (90's nostalgia notwithstanding).  In order to play up that contrast (and hopefully get people to forget about black), I made a couple deliberate design choices.

1. I darkened the purple to "almost black".  I was inspired by this Carl Anders photo of the bright sun popping through a dark night sky.  I wanted contrast like that in the Suns' uniforms.

2. I kept the Icon and Association uniforms identical except for the base color.  Not a drop of purple on the Association set, not a drop of white on the Icon set.  This is to evoke a night / day or sunrise / sunset duality between the two.

3. After a long and brutal negotiation period with PayPal, they agreed to let me change the color of their logo patch to orange so that it would work with the color scheme of the rest of the jersey.  

The Statement jersey is, yes, a little evocative of the Utah Jazz's new unis....  sorry.  Believe it or not, this concept was started before those were unveiled.  I've zoomed in on the shorts pattern of the other two sets and stretched it across the entire uniform to create the gradient.  The idea here is that opponents have flown too close to the sun when the team steps on the court in these loud and bold uniforms.  Someone's gonna get burned.  

Hope you enjoy.  Feedback welcomed!

ohsOh9X.png

EYglcNk.png

VaJXJUf.png

1 hour ago, raysox said:

Man theres some stellar concepts in here. Keep up the great work.

Get it? Stellar? Because the sun..? (Sorry I'll leave)

This set is gorgeous though. I think the pattern you went with fits them better than Utah, no question

8 hours ago, Duck_Duck said:

Alright, alright, alright... next up is the Phoenix Suns!

Probably the biggest design risk I took here was removing black from the Suns identity entirely.  With such a striking contrast between bright orange and deep purple, I've never really seen the value in adding black (90's nostalgia notwithstanding).  In order to play up that contrast (and hopefully get people to forget about black), I made a couple deliberate design choices.

1. I darkened the purple to "almost black".  I was inspired by this Carl Anders photo of the bright sun popping through a dark night sky.  I wanted contrast like that in the Suns' uniforms.

2. I kept the Icon and Association uniforms identical except for the base color.  Not a drop of purple on the Association set, not a drop of white on the Icon set.  This is to evoke a night / day or sunrise / sunset duality between the two.

3. After a long and brutal negotiation period with PayPal, they agreed to let me change the color of their logo patch to orange so that it would work with the color scheme of the rest of the jersey.  

The Statement jersey is, yes, a little evocative of the Utah Jazz's new unis....  sorry.  Believe it or not, this concept was started before those were unveiled.  I've zoomed in on the shorts pattern of the other two sets and stretched it across the entire uniform to create the gradient.  The idea here is that opponents have flown too close to the sun when the team steps on the court in these loud and bold uniforms.  Someone's gonna get burned.  

Hope you enjoy.  Feedback welcomed!

ohsOh9X.png

EYglcNk.png

VaJXJUf.png

My OCD is going crazy about the white uniforms having no purple, but this is a really good set.

12 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Stellar. Absolutely stellar job on the Suns.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:31 PM, MCM0313 said:

My OCD is going crazy about the white uniforms having no purple, but this is a really good set.

10 hours ago, NOLAPelicans23 said:

I really like this, and looking closer I noticed the lines within it. My only thing is I want at least one uniform to say Phoenix on it.

7 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I would add a Phoenix script as well. But this may be one of the best suns concepts I’ve seen

Thank you all for the kind words!  This was a look that I was excited to share, I'm glad it was well received!  I also wanted to do a Phoenix script on one of them, but just swapping out the word really didnt look right.  There is something so strong about SUNS on a jersey that the longer word didn't give me.  The proportions were just wrong.  I'll work in a Phoenix script for the City edition.  A different wordmark with a different jersey design altogether should work better.

5 hours ago, KevinJohnsonThaTruth said:

Curious to see what the 90s purple for the Suns would look like on those jerseys.

Well . . . . here you go!  Doesn't quite pop as much as I prefer, but it's still fun.

UMr1sB0.png

ZQgsn72.png

5 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Is there a .PSD version of this template anywhere?

There is... @Hoopladawg87 generously let me use his template.  I shouldn't pass it around, but if you wanted to message him, he might be willing to help you out.

3 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Just going to say every one of these so far is fantastic, great job.

Thank you!  

• 1 year later...

Hey y'all, it's me, Duck_Duck. 

I know it has been nearly two years since I posted a concept, and I actually can't figure out how to log into my account.  Can't remember my password or what email I used so I can't reset it.  So here I am, as Dr. Jack, using an old account with an old email address.  If there's any mod or admin out there that can help me figure out how to access Duck_Duck, I'd appreciate it.

In the meantime, I've messed around with a few more teams and I've got concepts for the Celtics, Mavericks, and Magic I'd like to share.  I started this back when Nike was unveiling the first of their designs for the NBA and my goal was (and still is) to get through every team.  I'm slow.  I put this down, and pick it up every few months.  But I'm trying hard to do deliberate and thoughtful work, so I'm not rushing it.  Thanks for your patience.

Ok so, first up, the boring one.  The Celtics.  Hard to mess with tradition, but I told myself I had no interest in recreating existing uniforms, so I'm going to propose something for Boston.  My favorite of their looks in recent years has been the ones where the introduce gold accents.  I think gold is underutilized in their current uniforms and should be elevated to a permanent staple of their primary looks.  In the Icon & Association uniforms, I incorporated it as an outline and slight drop shadow, and also as an accent on the trim of the uniform.  I took the "thick white/thin gold" trim from the Portland Timbers latest kits which I think utilize this color scheme beautifully.  All in all, I think think these two uniforms have a little more weight and gravitas than the previously more subtle green & white versions.

Now for the statement uniform I wanted to take a much more minimalist approach. If I'm embellishing the primary uniforms, I wanted to go the other way with the statements.  Could I design something that clearly says "Boston Celtics" with as few elements as possible.  Green.  Shamrock.  Nothing else is really needed.  Super minimal trim.  No text.  I debated dropping the name-on-back as well, but they looked just a bit too much like practice jerseys that way.  Anyways, I know this is a risk, but I like the look.  

Would love to hear feedback.  What's working, what isn't?  

spacer.png

spacer.png

JU4U8Ld.png

Up next... The Orlando Magic.

Using the same general strategy I used with the Blazers and Pistons, I brought back what I saw as the strongest design elements of the franchise's past and tried to modernize and simplify from there.  The big one is the 90's scripts and numerals.  It's fun, unique, playful, and it is what I think of first when it comes to the Orlando Magic.  Next was the pinstripes.  I love the way that design element has off and on been a part of the Magic identity from the start.  They've also experimented with how to use the pinstripes. Some more subtle, some much louder.  I elected to take those pinstripes to a new evolution.  Subtly sublimated and monochrome, I also added a vertical halftone-style transition that effectively reverses the light/dark contrast as the stripes work their way down from the shoulders to the knees.

The statement jersey is black, as Orlando was one of the first (and best) examples of BFBS.  It works well against the silver and blue.  The Magic wordmark moves to the shorts and the jersey relies on silver stars and recognizable numerals for team branding.

As always, bring on the comments.  I'd love to hear what y'all think!

Lastly, if there's any mod or admin out there that can help me figure out how to access my Duck_Duck account, please message me!

spacer.png

Sllelb9.png

yxsCfk1.png

Great to see you back! Great concepts - the minimalistic Celtics statement is bit too minimalistic to me, however I especially love the shooting star for the Magic! Great concepts!

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

Archived