DrJack

Fresh NBA Concepts | Utah Jazz (10/30)

Recommended Posts

Last one that I've recently done is the Dallas Mavericks.

 

This one is tough for me, because I generally think the Mavs have always looked bad.  In the 80's, 90's they were so blahhhh.  The modern shift in 2001 was cool.  At the time, these were among the best uniforms in the league.  Problem is, they got dated fast.  By 2010 they had worn out their welcome, and it's criminal that they're still in use in 2020.  They've also had their fair share of complete trash.  I don't even like that shade of green they've used in the past.  I think it pairs poorly with the blue.  They're too similar.

 

The one thing I can find that I want to latch onto is this Mavs wordmark.  It's funky.  It's unique.  I'm a sucker for lowercase letters.  And it's a complete outlier within the rest of the Mavs identity. It feels so random, and yet, it's my favorite thing they've done.  So I'm running with it, making a matching "dallas" wordmark, and creating a new cowboy hat logo that fits with this. 


hUr06pE.png

 

As you can guess, I also kept tweaked the green by lightening it up and desaturating a bit to more of a sage color.  It's now unique, and contrasts better with the blue.  

As for the uniforms, the Icon and Association ones are similar and traditional.  The wordmark carries much of the design weight.  The trim is fairly traditional and I use navy for the darker accents.  With the Statement jersey I took a chance on something more adventurous.  I went back to the mis-matched tops and bottoms, using blue and navy for the two-toned look and a retro double wordmark on the chest.  Sage and white trim is used to tie it all together.

As always feedback is appreciated and criticism is welcomed!
 

LpHicv3.png

 

w5ow1uF.png

 

a4QGPL3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the Celtics, I like what you were going for, but the Celtics' brand is so traditional that this would be a Mavs 2001-like radical change. if you brought back the double stripe and minimalized gold, it would be great.

Speaking of the Mavs, my OCD is writhing in pain because there is no green on the association uniform. That uniform is also missing the 2 sponsors(Nike & Chime).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

For the Celtics, I like what you were going for, but the Celtics' brand is so traditional that this would be a Mavs 2001-like radical change. if you brought back the double stripe and minimalized gold, it would be great.

Speaking of the Mavs, my OCD is writhing in pain because there is no green on the association uniform. That uniform is also missing the 2 sponsors(Nike & Chime).

 

Fixed the sponsor issue, good catch.  They were still white and thus invisible.

I personally don't mind the lack of green on the association set, but I get why it could bug you.  Working it into the trim or the wordmarks didn't really do it for me.  If you have a suggestion as to how I could work in some green, I'm all ears.

As for the Celtics, if I brought back the double stripe and minimized the gold, I wouldn't have made any changes!  But you did give me an idea for how to revise the Statement jersey... that one just still isn't quite where I want it and I can't put my finger on it.

Thanks for the feedback though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magic look absolutely incredible !!!!! The shorts are such a unique, cool design. Always thought they could have such a cool identity in today's age, the Shaq era and Tmac era uniforms are great, this is a perfect modern refresh with it's own twist, absolutely love it. For the mavs, I really like the white association and the two tone statement. I might drop the sage, as I think it feels a little forced, and the double blue looks beautiful for them already. Excited to see this back and running, some great creative designs here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DrJack said:

Fixed the sponsor issue, good catch.  They were still white and thus invisible.

I personally don't mind the lack of green on the association set, but I get why it could bug you.  Working it into the trim or the wordmarks didn't really do it for me.  If you have a suggestion as to how I could work in some green, I'm all ears.

As for the Celtics, if I brought back the double stripe and minimized the gold, I wouldn't have made any changes!  But you did give me an idea for how to revise the Statement jersey... that one just still isn't quite where I want it and I can't put my finger on it.

Thanks for the feedback though!

I think you should choose a blue for the Mavericks(I personally like royal more, but it's up to you)

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

For the Celtics, If you could do something like this, it'd be perfect (in my eyes).

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I think you should choose a blue for the Mavericks(I personally like royal more, but it's up to you)

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

For the Celtics, If you could do something like this, it'd be perfect (in my eyes).

spacer.png

I agree with this, the only reason why the sage didn't work before is because it wasn't united through the whole set... I like the look of the royal and sage, I think I would roll with that going forward. I still might prefer the double blue, but this is definitely a step forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I think you should choose a blue for the Mavericks(I personally like royal more, but it's up to you.)

I like those a lot.  That's the balance I was missing. 

I tested out the two tone blue on @jaytavo305's suggestion and those are actually really sharp, imo.  Let me know what you think.

 

aruHZNI.png

 

JqcjGHi.png

 

boZLpjS.png

 

I'm torn, I think they could go either way.  I might sit with this a while, while I work on a few other teams and come back. My gut says stick with the sage and royal per your revision (it's so unique), but the two-tone blue is so clean, even if it is a bit played out.  Thanks again for your feed back and taking the time to mock-it up.

I'm re-working the Celtics minimalist third, and I'll take a look at revising the Icon and Associations as well.  You made good points on that one too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough call between the double blue or the sage! Both look great, I'm excited to see who's next, some great designs so far !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, quick refresh on the Celtics before I move on...  I took your comments to heart and when back to the double stripe motif that's so classic with them.  I added a thin gold third stripe that acts kind of like a little drop shadow on the striping. I also bumped up the drop shadow on the wordmark and numbers.  That's for the icon and association editions. 

For the statement jersey I went back to the drawing board and revisited my original idea.  How do you say "Boston Celtics" as simply as possible?  Green.  An all green uniform.  Put some kindergartners in green pennies at recess and they'll want to call themselves the Celtics.  So that's where I'm starting.  Classic Boston wordmark.  Classic Celtics number font.  Replace the name on back with a shamrock, because the only name that matters is on the front.  Green-on-green, but unmistakably Boston.

CxNpZdd.png

 

jDxNNQv.png

 

rhVCQyX.png

 

Any feedback is always appreciated.

 

Up next are the New York Knicks, Atlanta Hawks, and Utah Jazz over the next couple of days...

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrJack said:

Ok, quick refresh on the Celtics before I move on...  I took your comments to heart and when back to the double stripe motif that's so classic with them.  I added a thin gold third stripe that acts kind of like a little drop shadow on the striping. I also bumped up the drop shadow on the wordmark and numbers.  That's for the icon and association editions. 

For the statement jersey I went back to the drawing board and revisited my original idea.  How do you say "Boston Celtics" as simply as possible?  Green.  An all green uniform.  Put some kindergartners in green pennies at recess and they'll want to call themselves the Celtics.  So that's where I'm starting.  Classic Boston wordmark.  Classic Celtics number font.  Replace the name on back with a shamrock, because the only name that matters is on the front.  Green-on-green, but unmistakably Boston.

CxNpZdd.png

 

jDxNNQv.png

 

rhVCQyX.png

 

Any feedback is always appreciated.

 

Up next are the New York Knicks, Atlanta Hawks, and Utah Jazz over the next couple of days...

Cheers!

These are great! The drop-shadow on the double stripe makes it unique, but still

1 hour ago, DrJack said:

 unmistakably Boston.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, next up the New York Knicks...  
My personal feeling is that the Knicks' look regressed a bit when they moved away from the black and blue 90's uniforms.  They were a little 90's, but I loved the chunky side panels and thick trim.  The Melo Era uniforms were fine and classy, but boring.  The Celtics have already cornered the market on bland.  Lastly, the last few years have been pretty directionless in what the team has rolled out (uniform wise, I can't do anything about the play on the court).  Are they classic franchise with a timeless look?  An homage to NYC?  A joke?

 

I wanted to challenge myself to evolve the Knicks look for a new era.  Keep the brand tight, tie them to NYC in a unique way, and step forward instead of looking backwards.  So I kept what I liked (classic color scheme, no black), brought back what I missed (chunky trim and side panels), and added a little NY flair of my own.  The side panels on the Icon and Association sets utilize a bold pattern I snagged straight from the streets of the the Big Apple. I made the wordmarks custom, but based on this Junior Knicks type.  The statement uniform is a bold return to orange for the team, with the player number centered in the Knicks alternate basketball logo, and NYC on the shorts.

 

Hopefully y'all see something you like here.  Feedback is welcome and encouraged.

 

8ZS8Zd4.png

 

VDefdw7.png

 

rlW61wr.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DrJack said:

Ok, next up the New York Knicks...  
My personal feeling is that the Knicks' look regressed a bit when they moved away from the black and blue 90's uniforms.  They were a little 90's, but I loved the chunky side panels and thick trim.  The Melo Era uniforms were fine and classy, but boring.  The Celtics have already cornered the market on bland.  Lastly, the last few years have been pretty directionless in what the team has rolled out (uniform wise, I can't do anything about the play on the court).  Are they classic franchise with a timeless look?  An homage to NYC?  A joke?

 

I wanted to challenge myself to evolve the Knicks look for a new era.  Keep the brand tight, tie them to NYC in a unique way, and step forward instead of looking backwards.  So I kept what I liked (classic color scheme, no black), brought back what I missed (chunky trim and side panels), and added a little NY flair of my own.  The side panels on the Icon and Association sets utilize a bold pattern I snagged straight from the streets of the the Big Apple. I made the wordmarks custom, but based on this Junior Knicks type.  The statement uniform is a bold return to orange for the team, with the player number centered in the Knicks alternate basketball logo, and NYC on the shorts.

 

Hopefully y'all see something you like here.  Feedback is welcome and encouraged.

 

8ZS8Zd4.png

 

VDefdw7.png

 

rlW61wr.png

 

 

Those orange unis would be the best in the league if they were real. That ball logo is so underutilized

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the Knicks! Very classy and unique, fits the vibe of their franchise for sure, while still pushing it forward. Absolutely love the blue away set, the pattern really pops off that darker background. Can't wait to see some more concepts from you, I'm impressed with nearly every one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, up next is the Utah Jazz!  

 

I'm taking this this opportunity to push the Jazz identity a little further into a modern direction.  While in general I'm glad they brought the J-Note logo and word mark back a few years ago, I never like it when team's just "re-adopt" old identities and logos.  Old logos are great for throwbacks, but it is pretty lame to recycle into your primary identity.  I much prefer the Blazers "evolution" of the pinwheel to the Jazz's "the 90's were crazy, and the 00's regrettable, let's just go back to our 80's logo" process. 

 

The new Jazz wordmark and J-Note are my interpretation of what a next step in the evolution could be for them.  I abandoned the decidedly un-Utah Mardi-Gras colors in favor of a palette that brings in the uniqueness of their 90's colors, albeit a little more muted.

I9Uydqg.png

 

The Icon and Association sets use horizontal striping on the jersey and shorts that mimic the musical staff.  The Statement uniform (now with Jordan logos) uses the icy blue color, some bold striping on the shorts, and a vertical UTAH text.  

 

X8M5AZ6.png

 

2vo915D.png

 

hrYwBlF.png

 

As always, bring on the C&C.  Thanks, y'all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a great look you've cooked up for the Jazz. The updated color scheme and logos are amazing. The home and away sets are solid, but there should be some light blue on the purple set and some copper on the white. The color balance is a bit wacky without them there. The alternate is amazing, I think I prefer it to the main set. I'd love to see white and purple versions of the alternate with the full wordmark. Altogether, this is an amazing update for the Jazz, and this whole thread has been terrific. Well done so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's something that's off putting to me about the whole Jazz word mark tilting to the left but the ball tilting to the right, even though it technically is correctly aligned. What would it look like if the ball was tilted to the left similar to the rest of the wordmark? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That logo and uniform rules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The logo font really represents the whole Jazz, New Orleans, neon light sign kinda feel, albeit they're in Utah 🤣 I swear that makes no sense. Regardless of the logic of it, I absolutely love the color scheme, and the uniforms just have a really cool, minimalist artsy vibe to them. My only concern is maybe unifying the colors throughout the home and away jerseys, the home focuses more on that copper which isn't found on the away, except for in the logo. Same with the icy blue which is on the away, but not the home. I think both of those uniforms are beautiful, and I wouldn't change the design, maybe just try to incorporate all the colors. Otherwise it's another Win in this awesome thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

There's something that's off putting to me about the whole Jazz word mark tilting to the left but the ball tilting to the right, even though it technically is correctly aligned. What would it look like if the ball was tilted to the left similar to the rest of the wordmark? 

I hear what you're saying, but to me the center seam of the ball wants to be at a right angle to the tail portion of the logo.  Here's a couple options where the ball is flat or tilted in line with the rest of the wordmark.  IMO it feels like the ball is falling off.  I'm curious what others think about it.

3s8gVoy.png

 

3 hours ago, raysox said:

That logo and uniform rules

Thanks dude, that means a lot coming from you!  I'm a big fan of your work!

 

3 hours ago, jaytavo305 said:

The logo font really represents the whole Jazz, New Orleans, neon light sign kinda feel, albeit they're in Utah 🤣 I swear that makes no sense. Regardless of the logic of it, I absolutely love the color scheme, and the uniforms just have a really cool, minimalist artsy vibe to them. 

I appreciate it man.  One reason I ditched the Mardi Gras colors was because I wanted to move away from the New Orleans ties.  On the other had I really did want to get something "Jazzy" and embody that Jazz Club, hip, artsy vibe, while distancing myself from the "mountain creep" that the team seems to have a hard time getting away from.  The colors are "Utah", the look is "Jazz".  Together the identity is Utah Jazz (in theory).  Logical? No. but we're working with what we have.

 

As far as color balance goes, because a few people mentioned it, I've messed around with a couple different looks and IMO each uniform set looks best as is.  I added a little copper into the away trim, and some icy blue into the home trim, but it felt awkward.  I intentionally had the trim match the double lines in the wordmark, and inserting another color just didn't work for me.  If anyone has ideas on how to bring a little more color balance to the Icon and Association sets, I'd love to hear it.

Lastly, now that I'm 1/3 of the way through the league (more than a year after starting, lol) I wanted to put these sets all together and see how the league is looking.  Check it out.  

QhhqTCJ.jpg

 

10 down, 20 to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.