Safeco Field is now T-Mobile Park

TaylorMade

17 hours ago, Ashes of Astroworld said:

I still call NRG Stadium Reliant. I cut off the BBVA part of Compass Stadium. I try not to catch myself referring to Lakewood Church's past as Compaq when it will always be the Summit. 

And no corporate names preceding the Astrodome please. Or even the Arena.

The Great Western Forum. Never knew it was named after a bank.

I have never heard anyone call the Dynamo's stadium Compass Stadium. I will say that rolls off the tongue better than BBVA. Despite that, I am surprised BBVA has kept the Compass part of the name for so long after acquiring Compass Bank

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Candlestick was like this. Many people never referred to it as monster or 3com.

Same with Arco arena. No power balance or sleep train for me.

Except Arco was corporate as well.
ARCO is Atlantic Richfield Company.

patriotssignature.png

26 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Heard them discussing what nickname it will have (ie. Safeco Field = The Safe, Century Link Field = The Clink)

- The Cell

- The Flip Phone (retractable roof)

- T-Mo

Nothing was really standing out but these things are very organic. 

Even just T-Mobile works. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, hawk36 said:

Heard them discussing what nickname it will have (ie. Safeco Field = The Safe, Century Link Field = The Clink)

- The Cell

- The Flip Phone (retractable roof)

- T-Mo

Nothing was really standing out but these things are very organic. 

At one point the Verizon Center (now Cap One Ctr) in DC was called The Phone Booth, now its called The Vault with the sponsor change. 

Vegas calls the T-Mobile Arena, "The T"

4 hours ago, Beantown77 said:

Except Arco was corporate as well.
ARCO is Atlantic Richfield Company.

Oh of course, I was commenting on that being a name that was changed after 20+ years of ingrainment into peoples minds. Yes of course ARCO is corporate, I buy gas from the ARCO thats down the street from Arco/PowerBalance/SleepTrain. 

Along with the Citrus Bowl, the Orlando/TD Waterhouse*/Amway Arena was always just “the Orena” until it got taken down. Now, the Amway Center is “the Amway”, nothing else added. I guess you can add that to one of the names that, if you don’t know what the company is, you may think is not corporate. 

*In fact, the official name of the Orena when it was sponsored by TD was actually the “TD Waterhouse Centre”. Yes, centre, the British/Canadian spelling. Even “official” sources such as the Orlando Sentinel made the mistake of spelling it “Center” (which apparently made someone at TD so angry that they felt the need to publicly call them out on it - after they had already lost the name deal to Amway. I can’t find anything about that, but I clearly remember it happening).

ExJworW.png

On 12/19/2018 at 3:17 PM, TaylorMade said:

It's funny how every time a long standing venue changes its name, people say this and then inevitably get with the times.

People said they wouldn't call "Qwest Field" CenturyLink Field.

People said they wouldn't call "Seahawks Stadium" Qwest Field.

IT'S STILL THE SKYDOME TO ME DAMMIT! 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I have a hard time with the Vivint Smart Home Arena. First off, it took several years for me to stop calling it the Delta Center, but I just ended up calling the EnergySolutions Arena “the arena” because ESA or EnergySolutions just felt awkward.

but, now with the Vivint Smart Home Arena, I tend to still call it “the arena” or Vivint Arena. The long formal name is just too long and stupid.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

13 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

I don't even live in canada and still call it the Skydome.

Rogers Centre sounds like an arena name.

SKYDOME... not "The" Skydome.

A minor but awesome detail I love(d) about the place.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

I get the change in corporate name, but why not T-Mobile Field? I hate it when the descriptor is changed too for no apparent reason. 

If nothing else, it leaves open an opportunity to name the actual field something else. Niehaus Field at T-Mobile Park, for example. Not saying that's a good idea but the door is now open.

We’re lucky on this in Boston. I wonder how much goodwill TD Bank gained and how much brand recognition they lost by keeping the “Garden” name, as everyone shortens it to that alone in my experience. 

For the football stadium, Gillette has certainly stuck, though hearing simply Foxboro as a metonym is not infrequent either.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 12/21/2018 at 12:06 PM, cajunaggie08 said:

I have never heard anyone call the Dynamo's stadium Compass Stadium. I will say that rolls off the tongue better than BBVA. Despite that, I am surprised BBVA has kept the Compass part of the name for so long after acquiring Compass Bank

That's just my name for it. it probably shortened to BBVA or called it by its nickname "The (Dutch) Oven". I'm not saying the whole thing. 

On 12/22/2018 at 5:18 PM, M4One said:

America West Arena before it became US Airways Center is another one where it went from non-corporate sounding to very corporate sounding.

It's always America West to me.  Don't even get me started on the current name.

On 12/21/2018 at 9:42 AM, leopard88 said:

This is absolutely true.  Some corporate names (even infamous ones) flow well as stadium names . . . even where the sponsor is so well known that the name is obviously corporate.

Carrier Dome

Enron Field

Safeco Field

Wrigley Field

Heinz Field

Ford Field

Miller Park

Coors Field

United Center

Target Field

Target Center

Ericsson Stadium

Same.

I think Xcel Energy Center flows well (and its just a cool name)

On 12/23/2018 at 10:29 AM, bosrs1 said:

I get the change in corporate name, but why not T-Mobile Field? I hate it when the descriptor is changed too for no apparent reason. 

I am 100% with you on this …

ARCO Arena > PowerBalance Pavilion

Comiskey Park > Guaranteed Rate Field

Skydome > Rogers Centre

Ralph Wilson Stadium > New Era Field

Then there’s the Titans’ stadium — Adelphia Coliseum > LP Field > Nissan Stadium

kimball banner.png

Archived