MLB Celebrates America's 250th Birthday

raysox

Sestercentenial - the 250th anniversary of something

This idea has been in my head for a year. In my Sun League Sim Baseball thread(which you should check out), the Marlins moved to Indianapolis out of nowhere after the first season. That got me thinking about my old abandoned idea. I brought it up to a friend at work and he fell in love with the idea and has not stopped talking about it for a full week. What's the idea you ask?

When the MLB played at Fort Bragg in North Carolina in 2016, it was the first MLB game to be played in the state. What if the MLB just went ahead and crossed off every other state in the USA.

An idea fit for America's Past Time, one week in the summer of 2026, every team will venture out and play a single game at the best suitable ballpark the state has to offer. Them and another team will each play a home and away game with a travel day in between. Three series will play 3 games, provided that the travel wouldn't be too much to handle. The MLB seems comfortable enough to do this, an example would be the MLB games in Williamsport the last two years for Sunday Night Baseball.

I can get into the match-ups and ballparks later, but I need help with my logo before I go nuts! My goal was to represent America, the MLB, make it classy, and make it seem like it truly is an existing logo.

So here's a refined idea of what I've thought up the past week. A 250 with the MLB logo above. My issue is, on one hand, it looks like the MLB's 250th birthday. Sestercentenial doesn't really fit into the logo because it's such a clunky word.

250-Logo-01.png

Also, if possible, get the state the games are in to be represented smoothly in the logo(to sell merch, of course). However, I ran into some problems. Mainly Utah's abbreviation spelling  OUT. Also we have two rectangle shaped states.

250-Logo-02.png

I kept texting friends pictures of the concept, and kept getting "it's not American enough", so I went ahead and tried a firework exploding in the 0.

250-Logo-03.png

This was by far my favorite. The state name idea was axed, with the best solution being listing it underneath

Ball.jpg

Jersey-Betts.jpg

Jersey-Ohtani.jpg

Here's them on caps!

Cap-Row.jpg

So yeah, C&C?

It's a nice idea, but it still looks too much like the 250th anniversary of MLB. And with your lockup, it looks like 25 when you add an icon to the zero, like the fireworks.

The Red Sox celebrated Massachusetts' bicentennial in 1976, and there was no reference to MLB:

1976-boston-red-sox-mlb-baseball-game-us

Since it's not an MLB-specific anniversary, I think it sends a mixed message by including the MLB logo in it.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'd agree that the logo needs to be more USA-centric as opposed to MLB-centric. Maybe Old Glory instead of the batterman, and replace the fireworks (which are looking a little pinwheely) with a baseball?

You could even have the flag flying on a bat flagpole, to keep it more baseball.

I really do like this idea (although I think we all know MLB would mess it up with one-off uniforms).

• LMU unlocked this topic

Wow, guess who's back! After over 2 years of frustration of "looks like it's the MLB's 250th birthday", I finally settled on a formula that I fell in love with.

Check out my full Behance project here - https://www.behance.net/gallery/118165525/MLB-USA-250th-Celebration

MLB-USA-250-Series-Logo-01.png

And here's my map of games for good measure

Map-of-USA-250-01.png

This is/was a great project.  I know it's merely conceptual, but for some of the states it wouild be nice to see them showcase some of the college parks instead of MiLB parks.

- Louisiana could be at LSU's Alex Box Stadium

50-06101-00_marquee-05.jpg

- Tennessee could be at Vanderbilt's Hawikins Field (huge left field wall and all)

1280px-Hawkins_Field.JPG

22 hours ago, TBGKon said:

This is/was a great project.  I know it's merely conceptual, but for some of the states it wouild be nice to see them showcase some of the college parks instead of MiLB parks.

- Louisiana could be at LSU's Alex Box Stadium

- Tennessee could be at Vanderbilt's Hawikins Field (huge left field wall and all)

I mean, that's nice and all but showcasing those college parks doesn't make sense considering the Brewers would be playing in their affiliate's stadiums. Baton Rouge is interesting and probably in nicer shape than the old Baby Cakes stadium, but the draw of playing in New Orleans would make more sense.

Mississippi State is another big college park, but the Braves playing in the Jackson area in their affiliate's home made too much sense.

Believe the only two college parks is Hawaii (duh) and Oregon (where the Eugene Emeralds play anyway)

It would be cool to see a game played in Frederick. Considering the Keys are now unaffiliated with an MLB team, but are still MLB affiliated in the Draft League. A great showcase for young players of “what could be”.

There’s also the tidbit of the Keys being named after Francis Scott Key who was born in Frederick and laid to rest in the city just behind Nymeo Field

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 6:51 PM, raysox said:

Sestercentenial - the 250th anniversary of something

This idea has been in my head for a year. In my Sun League Sim Baseball thread(which you should check out), the Marlins moved to Indianapolis out of nowhere after the first season. That got me thinking about my old abandoned idea. I brought it up to a friend at work and he fell in love with the idea and has not stopped talking about it for a full week. What's the idea you ask?

When the MLB played at Fort Bragg in North Carolina in 2016, it was the first MLB game to be played in the state. What if the MLB just went ahead and crossed off every other state in the USA.

An idea fit for America's Past Time, one week in the summer of 2026, every team will venture out and play a single game at the best suitable ballpark the state has to offer. Them and another team will each play a home and away game with a travel day in between. Three series will play 3 games, provided that the travel wouldn't be too much to handle. The MLB seems comfortable enough to do this, an example would be the MLB games in Williamsport the last two years for Sunday Night Baseball.

I can get into the match-ups and ballparks later, but I need help with my logo before I go nuts! My goal was to represent America, the MLB, make it classy, and make it seem like it truly is an existing logo.

So here's a refined idea of what I've thought up the past week. A 250 with the MLB logo above. My issue is, on one hand, it looks like the MLB's 250th birthday. Sestercentenial doesn't really fit into the logo because it's such a clunky word.

250-Logo-01.png

Also, if possible, get the state the games are in to be represented smoothly in the logo(to sell merch, of course). However, I ran into some problems. Mainly Utah's abbreviation spelling  OUT. Also we have two rectangle shaped states.

250-Logo-02.png

I kept texting friends pictures of the concept, and kept getting "it's not American enough", so I went ahead and tried a firework exploding in the 0.

250-Logo-03.png

This was by far my favorite. The state name idea was axed, with the best solution being listing it underneath

Ball.jpg

Jersey-Betts.jpg

Jersey-Ohtani.jpg

Here's them on caps!

Cap-Row.jpg

So yeah, C&C?

I actually like this logo best from all of the options you presented. The multiple ballparks idea is pretty neat too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived