Different colors of jerseys and pants in baseball

On 3/19/2019 at 2:11 PM, RoughRiders99 said:

I mean, the Pirates and the A's can pull it off as seen here: 

4810678543_affae5f868_o.jpg

I'm thinking teams like the Rockies, Diamondbacks, Rays, Marlins, maybe the Blue Jays, Mariners, and Padres could also pull this kind of look. The newer teams could pull it off.Classical teams like the Yankees or Red Sox or Cubs or Dodgers, probably not so much. I know it's a traditional sport, but I think with the right teams with the right colors and look, they can easily pull it off. If softball players can do it, so can MLB.  I'm not saying make them a throwback or whatever. I think there CAN be modern "monochrome" and/or different colored jersey/pants that aren't white or gray looks in MLB.  

What do you think? Just thought I'd bump up this thread in light of the MiLB's Copa de la Diversion program! 

The Pittsburgh Pirates and the Oakland A's have a history of some unique uniforms in my lifetime and I've always tended to like most of them, be they traditional or non-traditional.  

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/19/2019 at 5:32 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Can't think of any currently, but:

CgV2RMcWQAARk75.jpg

CgV1i1oWcAACaPU.jpg

Do shorts count?

White-Sox-Shorts-1976-Goose-Gossage-590x

Regarding the White Sox, the shorts were a brief experiment but the standard home uniform was still originally white over navy and roads were navy over navy (!). The navy pants were just one more reason they looked ridiculous to me. However, in a couple years they went with navy over white for home or away and made me think they looked like they finally had a "real" uniform (collars, shirttails, and no stirrups notwithstading). Shortly thereafter they evolved to a white over white combo at home, which was even better.

In short, the point is that color over white (or gray) seems "normal" to me. Pants that aren't white or gray look like an abberation. FWIW I didn't mention powder blue because to me that's essentially gray for a baseball uni. Its not an identity color but just a backgound color.

I'd have a lot less of a problem dealing with a monochrome dark baseball uniform than I do having to deal with all the monochrome dark football uniforms.

In my mind, baseball uniforms are supposed to have matching jerseys and pants, and football uniforms are supposed to have contrast.

On 4/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, RayFinkle said:

Dislike the sport of baseball, but love the different colored uni's that some teams sport.

All white vs. all gray? Blah. Boring.

If I had a dislike button, I'd be using it at you.

tinysig.jpg

16 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'd have a lot less of a problem dealing with a monochrome dark baseball uniform than I do having to deal with all the monochrome dark football uniforms.

In my mind, baseball uniforms are supposed to have matching jerseys and pants, and football uniforms are supposed to have contrast.

I think you got it reversed. Monochrome in football is much better than monochrome in baseball(when it’s not white grey or maybe black)

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• 3 months later...

See I’m a huge fan of the white vs grey in baseball. But I like when teams bring colors into the mix, but I’m not a huge fan of it al the time. It’s one of those “okay in moderation” kind of things. But when I see a navy Indians versus a royal cubs in a World Series, I’m not a fan of it.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

I like seeing visiting team colors, so having colored tops (and even colored pants) for road jerseys works for me... as long as they look like game jerseys, and not BPs, like the new blue Marlins one does.  One of the thing I like about winter football is seeing the visiting team in their bright-red parkas, or blue parkas, etc.  It's one reason why I want the NHL to go back to white at home.

I have no issues with gray, and if I had to choose either "always gray" or "always color" I'd probably choose gray, but for regular-season games I think color is fine for a road uniform.  I'd rather home teams stay in white... but I guess there's always exceptions.  Color v color shouldn't happen.  CS/WS would look better if white v gray, but I don't want to over-legislate how teams dress.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't mind color v color matches, with two conditions: they should quite rare, and they must clash. I don't want to see the purple Rockies taking on the navy Indians, that can be confusing, even with gray/white pants. Additionally, I feel like alternate jerseys should be worn as such: alternates. They shouldn't be the most worn jersey of the team, they should be rare, and they should never appear in the playoffs. However, if a team were to designate a colored jersey as their away, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Japan does this (pretty well, too, as the Carp, Golden Eagles, Dragons, and Hawks look very good), and I feel like some of the newer teams (specifically Miami) could pull this off. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived