2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Kramerica Industries

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NFL broadcast changes announced.

The National Football League (NFL) has decided to revoke its single-header rule, meaning football fans in the US will now be guaranteed three televised games every Sunday throughout the 2019 regular season.

The single-header rule had meant that viewers in two-team markets such as New York or San Francisco would only get the two games involving their teams per Sunday.

With the removal of this ruling it will guarantee that every market has three Sunday afternoon games, plus the nationally televised Sunday night game.

The NFL elected to push back its Sunday play-off games in the divisional round to 3 and 6.30pm ET to match the kick-off times in the conference championship round.

Can the NFL make that decision without the networks and DirecTV being involved?  I think ending the single header rule, while a benefit to fans, might take a small bite out of Sunday Ticket, while being a big boost to the networks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

Can the NFL make that decision without the networks and DirecTV being involved?  I think ending the single header rule, while a benefit to fans, might take a small bite out of Sunday Ticket, while being a big boost to the networks.

They made the change for a one year "test" at the behest of the networks. Until last year, ratings were much lower.

This allows networks to make more money, which in turn will give the NFL more when the next contract negotiations begin relatively soon.

Is this the one-year test, or was 2018 the test?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

46 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Is this the one-year test, or was 2018 the test?

The upcoming season will be the test season.

Note, the NFL can opt out of the Sunday Ticket contract with AT&T after this season.

NFL Draft is heading to Cleveland in 2021 and Kansas City in 2023. Don't know why there hasn't been an announcement for what city is going to hold the draft in 2022, but I can answer why 2023. Kansas City's airport is getting renovated to have a large central terminal to supposedly make flying in and out of the airport much easier/handle more traffic. That and hopefully the city is used to having massive crowds descending into downtown from Super Bowl parades.

22 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

NFL Draft is heading to Cleveland in 2021 and Kansas City in 2023. Don't know why there hasn't been an announcement for what city is going to hold the draft in 2022, but I can answer why 2023. Kansas City's airport is getting renovated to have a large central terminal to supposedly make flying in and out of the airport much easier/handle more traffic. That and hopefully the city is used to having massive crowds descending into downtown from Super Bowl parades.

2020 (next year), the Draft is in Vegas, right?

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

25 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

There were no bidders for 2022.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The upcoming season will be the test season.

Note, the NFL can opt out of the Sunday Ticket contract with AT&T after this season.

Anyone think they could have Amazon, Hulu or Netflix bidding for some of that action?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

23 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

2020 (next year), the Draft is in Vegas, right?

I believe so. I feel sorry for the people of Las Vegas. They're about to have the circus in town 8 times every fall. 

19 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

There were no bidders for 2022.

Okay, that explains it. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I believe so. I feel sorry for the people of Las Vegas. They're about to have the circus in town 8 times every fall. 

At least Las Vegas is finally at the big kids table now after decades of being lumped in with Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, Sacramento and San Antonio as "default cities for alternative football leagues."  They had a team in the CFL's failed American experiment (with Birmingham, Memphis, Sacramento and San Antonio), the original XFL (with Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando) and the United Football League (with Orlando and Sacramento) as well as an Arena League team once owned by Vince Neil. The AAF even named Las Vegas as the site of their championship games for their first two seasons before moving the 2019 game to Frisco, Texas.

32 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

At least Las Vegas is finally at the big kids table now after decades of being lumped in with Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, Sacramento and San Antonio as "default cities for alternative football leagues."  They had a team in the CFL's failed American experiment (with Birmingham, Memphis, Sacramento and San Antonio), the original XFL (with Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando) and the United Football League (with Orlando and Sacramento) as well as an Arena League team once owned by Vince Neil. The AAF even named Las Vegas as the site of their championship games for their first two seasons before moving the 2019 game to Frisco, Texas.

I wouldn't call having the Raiders being at the big boy's table.

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The AAF even named Las Vegas as the site of their championship games for their first two seasons before moving the 2019 game to Frisco, Texas.

That was MGM's idea, the major AAF creditor in conjunction with the LVCVA

On 5/24/2019 at 8:58 AM, Red Comet said:

That's going to be an interesting one, from a logistics standpoint. With as much as the NFL--shoot, all pro sports--value downtowns, I'm curious to see how KC does with this, being that neither Arrowhead nor KCI is exactly downtown. I know eight miles is rather short, distance wise (Arrowhead to downtown,) but KCI may as well be all the way up St. Joseph with as far out as it is from downtown KC (22 miles straight up 29, but the drive makes it seem a lot further than that). Then again, maybe that'll help KC by keeping everything spread out some--which may help given the 7,489 freeways that cut through and around KC, which by the way MoDOT had best get on the ball about finishing up those roadway improvements before the NFL brings their party to town (and then leaves KC to clean up after them on their own dime).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived