2019 NFL Off-Season Thread

Kramerica Industries

3 hours ago, Buc said:

That's going to be an interesting one, from a logistics standpoint. With as much as the NFL--shoot, all pro sports--value downtowns, I'm curious to see how KC does with this, being that neither Arrowhead nor KCI is exactly downtown. I know eight miles is rather short, distance wise (Arrowhead to downtown,) but KCI may as well be all the way up St. Joseph with as far out as it is from downtown KC (22 miles straight up 29, but the drive makes it seem a lot further than that). Then again, maybe that'll help KC by keeping everything spread out some--which may help given the 7,489 freeways that cut through and around KC, which by the way MoDOT had best get on the ball about finishing up those roadway improvements before the NFL brings their party to town (and then leaves KC to clean up after them on their own dime).

Well it won’t be held at the stadium, it will be held at some hall, or stage inside the city.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lincoln Financial Field was never even considered for Philadelphia's draft (images not from draft... but stage was right in front of the museum.)

philadelphia-pennsylvania-usa-19th-jan-2

PhiladelphiaSkyline_WeFilmPhilly_2200vp.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How long until cities start putting in bid packages to host the NFL draft the way they do the Super Bowl and WrestleMania?

Unlike Super Bowl hosting cities, most cities could host the draft, right? You just need a theater? Or, one day, an arena?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

16 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Boston is a pretty congested city, I can't think of many areas they could hold it outdoors (Boston Common I guess?)  Unless they want to go with TD Garden, or the Convention Center. 

That hasn’t stopped Nashville, they literally had it on main street of the city and shut it down.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

That hasn’t stopped Nashville, they literally had it on main street of the city and shut it down.

Bruh...that's EVERYDAY downtown Nashville... there's forever something going on down lower Broad. (They have that road shut even when nothing's going on, not to mention each Friday and Saturday evening after 9 p.m. so all the tourists can get their honky-tonk on.) Trust me... Nashville is well used to operating with lower Broad shut down (along with most of the rest of downtown); the Draft was nothing.

That said, Nashville isn't anywhere near as congested (yet) as Boston is, so that'll present it's own special set of challenges.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

21 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Boston is a pretty congested city, I can't think of many areas they could hold it outdoors (Boston Common I guess?)  Unless they want to go with TD Garden, or the Convention Center. 

If they were to do it insist on doing it outside, I’d imagine the government center plaza where they do all the Patriots parade presentation stuff and special concerts (like the one they did before the game yeaterday). 

It definitely creates some serious logistical problems though.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 5/27/2019 at 1:58 PM, DG_Now said:

How long until cities start putting in bid packages to host the NFL draft the way they do the Super Bowl and WrestleMania?

Unlike Super Bowl hosting cities, most cities could host the draft, right? You just need a theater? Or, one day, an arena?

I think about five years ago. The NFL has had an extensive list of demands ever since they started taking the draft out on the road. You can see a reference in this article to a "bid" being put in by Chicago for the 2015 draft: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-nfl-draft-chicago-spt-0206-20150205-story.html

On 5/24/2019 at 10:58 AM, Red Comet said:

NFL Draft is heading to Cleveland in 2021 and Kansas City in 2023. Don't know why there hasn't been an announcement for what city is going to hold the draft in 2022, but I can answer why 2023. Kansas City's airport is getting renovated to have a large central terminal to supposedly make flying in and out of the airport much easier/handle more traffic. That and hopefully the city is used to having massive crowds descending into downtown from Super Bowl parades.

I think it's possible LA might be doing it in 2022 but they dont want to step in until the venue is ready to go (new stadium)

7 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I think it's possible LA might be doing it in 2022 but they dont want to step in until the venue is ready to go (new stadium)

That doesn't really make much sense considering the NFL has no problem booking The Superbowl before the new stadiums even break ground.  

8 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

The Inglewood stadium is still scheduled to host Super Bowl LVI, which will be a couple of months prior.  

In other Inglewood Stadium news, it looks like Social Financial dba SoFi will have the stadium naming rights.

This is disgusting, right?

https://sports.yahoo.com/seahawks-sue-draft-bust-for-nearly-800-k-reveal-deep-animosity-toward-malik-mc-dowell-223438293.html

Arguably one of the most drama-filled and disappointing chapters in Seattle Seahawks draft history still hasn’t ended. And it likely won’t until former Seahawks defensive end Malik McDowell either coughs up a considerable chunk of money to the franchise or legally proves that he doesn’t have the financial means to do so.

It became apparent this week the Seahawks intend to force McDowell down one of those roads as they’re suing their top 2017 draft pick in federal court to claw back $799,238 in signing bonus money that McDowell was previously ordered to repay by an arbitrator. The suit was first reported by the Detroit News and filed in U.S. District Court in the Eastern District of Michigan, the closest jurisdiction to McDowell’s home address in Farmington Hills.

It’s a rare step for an NFL team to sue a former top draft choice to recoup signing bonus money. The development with McDowell underscores a monumentally disappointing spiral with the club following his selection with the 35th overall pick in 2017 draft. Once considered a potential top-10 pick in that draft class, McDowell suffered a slide on draft night after an inconsistent junior season at Michigan State, then never played a snap for Seattle after suffering serious injuries in an ATV accident prior to training camp nearly two years ago. He was released by the team in March.

But in timing that is germane to this week’s lawsuit, McDowell signed a four-year, $6.95 million contract with $3.19 million in bonus money several weeks before his accident. As part of that contract, the Seahawks were to pay McDowell that bonus in four increments. The team ultimately paid out three installments and withheld a fourth for nearly $800,000 following the revelation of his injury. After negotiations with the NFL Players Association and going through arbitration, Seattle agreed to forfeit half of the agreed-upon signing bonus, which still required McDowell to repay $799,238. The suit alleges McDowell never did despite attempts by the team to recoup the funds, leading to this week’s lawsuit.

The lawsuit reveals some previously unknown financial nuggets that suggest clear animus with McDowell’s current status. Among them:

• Seattle initially attempted to regain everything it had paid him in the signing bonus installments. Meaning the franchise effectively tried to pay him almost nothing since he was drafted.

• McDowell’s base salary as a rookie – which was slated to be $465,000 – was reduced to $5,000 per week for 17 weeks while he was on the non-football injury list. Essentially, Seattle took full advantage of the NFI avenue to reduce McDowell’s rookie base salary from $465,000 to $85,000.

• The Seahawks are not only seeking repayment of the $799,238 that McDowell owes, they are asking for still-accumulating interest on that sum as well as repayment of their legal fees to recoup the money.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

25 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I agree more with the team here.  McDowell thinks he can still play, so he and his agent (Drew Rosenhaus) should repay the prorated bonus.  If he was hurt in the ATV accident in Michigan on private property, nothing needs to be disclosed but the name of the 911 caller.

https://www-1.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article230981143.html

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

If the union and an arbitrator agreed to it, I don’t really see much room to complain. NFL contracts are jokes, anyway.

Archived