Report: 2020 Winter Classic in Dallas

TBGKon

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

it could be worse, it could be Las Vegas.

The Raiders stadium will likely be available on January 1 for the foreseeable future and for a while.  It's up to the NFL scheduler to have them on the road in Week 17.

45 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Well, maybe Montreal doesn't feel the need to have such an "event"....  

lol

Edit- to elaborate...I think when discussing this sort of thing? Assuming that a team hasn't hosted because they don't want to without proof isn't really helpful to the discussion.

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

lol

Edit- to elaborate...I think when discussing this sort of thing? Assuming that a team hasn't hosted because they don't want to without proof isn't really helpful to the discussion.

Neither is Dallas should not hold one before Montreal ... just because? 

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm in favor of some new teams (not Chicago) getting involved, but this is frustrating. Colorado, Columbus and Minnesota should have hosted by now. The Stadium Series certainly doesn't count.

Dallas is a less than ideal market for this event due to weather and current status of the franchise, but I hope they really embrace this. The opponent will be a huge part of potential success so I hope the NHL knows what they're doing.

But they don't...

Just now, DEAD! said:

Neither is Dallas should not hold one before Montreal ... just because? 

Montreal should hold one before Dallas because the Canadiens are the oldest, winningest team in the league. Montreal was also the city where the league itself was founded. You can't really ignore how vital the city is to the NHL.

Or think of it like this. If MLB had a showcase event? How long to you think it would take for the Yankees to be front and centre? And hate on the Yankees all you like, but there's a reason they are who they are.

And yet the NHL chases after the Sunbelt while ignoring their equivalent to the Yankees because....grow the game or some such nonsense.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Aaaaaand with that, the concept has jumped the shark.

Shark was already jumped when they made the Buffalo Sabres play a "home" game against the Rangers in Citi Field.

6 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Montreal should hold one before Dallas because the Canadiens are the oldest, winningest team in the league. Montreal was also the city where the league itself was founded. You can't really ignore how vital the city is to the NHL.

Or think of it like this. If MLB had a showcase event? How long to you think it would take for the Yankees to be front and centre? And hate on the Yankees all you like, but there's a reason they are who they are.

And yet the NHL chases after the Sunbelt while ignoring their equivalent to the Yankees because....grow the game or some such nonsense.

That argument is fine if this was about why Montreal should hold one.... Had only they did that during the Canadiens' 100th season. 

Hey, if it weren't for "growing the game" the Leafs probably would not have had Auston Matthews 

I saw, I came, I left.

6 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Hey, if it weren't for "growing the game" the Leafs probably would not have had Auston Matthews  

🤷‍♀️

I mean good on him, but I'm not sure Auston Matthews is worth the hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars lost in the Arizona Coyotes experiment so...yeah.

6 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

That argument is fine if this was about why Montreal should hold one....

That's essentially my argument.

And given that the reasons for holding one in Dallas aren't as strong (outside of the novelty)? Yeah, I'd say Montreal should get one before Dallas.

I think the Coyotes should move out Glendale myself, but I am definitely bot against expanding the game to "non-traditional" markets. 

If Dallas (North Texas?), Seattle, Cleveland, Columbus, Nashville, or Billings, Montana are willing to hold such an event, have a suitable venue, have the fan base, then I say, let them host one. 

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

So when you said that this was good for other teams you only meant teams south of the Mason-Dixon line. Got it. 

Not at all, I would like to see places like Minnesota, Colorado and Columbus get shots, as well as Nashville, Vegas, and hell why not Tampa.

3 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

True question, but if Montreal hosted one where would it be played?

Is Olympic stadium off limits because of the dome?  Saputo and Molson stadiums seem small for a WC

Mont Tremblant :P 

I saw, I came, I left.

It's funny, because I actually thought about an outdoor game between Dallas Stars and San Jose Sharks as a both teams got many similarities in their stories. I hope they don't give another outdoor game to Blackhawks, because I'm (I think I'm not the only one) acutally tired of seeing them every year in the outdoor game. I understand that Chicago is a big market, and team got rich story, but c'mon 5 games in last 6 years is too much.

4r2eer.png

Archived