I feel like I'm the only one who prefers the pitchfork logo on the helmet for ASU. I have never cared for primarily-vertical mascot logos on helmets, whether it's Sparky, Pat Patriot, etc. The pitchfork just looks better on a helmet to me.

Uniform-wise, though, they haven't looked all that great since they switched from Nike to Adidas.

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Related image

This is easily in my top five all-time favorite college football helmets.  The fact that this is so awesome, and gets supplanted by the dopey pitchfork makes me hate that design all the more.

Just now, BlazerBlaze said:

The equipment team is trolling Bulldog Nation rn. No jersey in the pic. 

Not only that...but they cropped out the part where the collar of the black jersey was peeking through the bars, behind the helmet.

As a Georgia fan that endures the constant “will they or won’t they,” I’m about to be seriously ticked if we don’t finally do the black jerseys.

They have become such a phenomenon and are hardly ever worn. Every single recruit that comes on a visit wears the black jersey. I’m not joking when I say every single one. It’s got to be at least 9 out of 10. The kids love them, the fans love them, everyone loves them. But the school treats them with such secrecy that it only builds up the hype around them to the point that now they are regarded as distracting.

It’s a damn shame. Our colors are red and black. It’s one of the finest alternates in all of college football. The black set isn’t an ugly black head to toe alternate. It still retains the classic helmet and pants. The blackout crowd is immense. But the players only wear them on their recruiting visit and the spring game.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

ASU has to be up there for worst uniforms overall.  Week after week in this thread they look absolutely awful.  

I wonder if the pitchfork logo has even proven to be popular with recruits/students/alum?  

I can't imagine that if they surveyed all 3 it would be more popular than the Sparky helmet

Related image

Regardless, they still look like trash from the neck down most weeks anyways

As an ASU alum, I can tell you with certainty that yes, it absolutely has. 

It it took me awhile to really warm up to the new fork, but I’m to the point where I kind of love it. Don’t get me wrong, NOTHING beats Sparky (I have Sparky tattooed on my right leg I like that logo so much), but the way the university uses the fork just works really well IMO. It’s a bit understated, but the simplicity is what makes it easy to stretch. It’s used all over campus, and I think if they tried to do the same thing with Sparky it wouldn’t work because it’s objectively a goofy logo. That’s the charm it has, which is good, but it would be overkill to use him as a primary to the extent the university uses the fork. Also, using him rather sparingly makes that logo sort of special to me. It’s much more rare than it used to be, and it’s a treat to see him featured. 

I know a lot of people don’t like the fork, and I understand a lot of the reasons why. But I really do think it’s a very solid primary mark for the school and their athletic programs. 

Also, I say this as someone who actually went to the university and lived on campus for several years. You’re basically inundated with that logo while there, and that’s ok because it’s not really overdone design wise. Also, I started at ASU the year after they first started using the fork logo, and it’s been cool to see how that mark has grown over time use wise. It was sort of part of the transition from ASU being the total joke of a party school it once was, to somewhat of a distinguished university now. I think the fork logo has been a natural part of that transition. 

But yes. Sparky > The Fork

Also, their last Nike (football) set was just a few slight tweaks away from being absolutely perfect, and nothing Adidas has done since has been even close to as good. 

As I predicted earlier in the week, the Ducks will be going apple green/white/apple green at Stanford:

This is a really nice, classic combo for them. I was kind of hoping to see yellow/white/yellow, but knew that was unlikely once I saw the players breaking in the apple green cleats in practice. This is still a fantastic look, though, and one that’ll contrast really nicely with Stanford’s home set (assuming they don’t wear black, which they could). This is the Ducks’ first time wearing white jerseys with apple green accents since the 2017 season and first time wearing apple green/white/apple green since Week 3 of 2017. This is also their first time wearing non-yellow decals or bumper logos on apple green helmets since Week 7 of 2015.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This is easily in my top five all-time favorite college football helmets.  The fact that this is so awesome, and gets supplanted by the dopey pitchfork makes me hate that design all the more.

And I even like Sparky’s pitchfork better than the actual pitchfork logo. The prongs look too curved for my taste, it’s never looked good to me as a stand-alone logo or on the helmet. 

I hate Tulane's turf with a passion. Those gawdam brown sections. Why would you want to replicate the look of dead grass every five yards?

As far as their uniforms go, Tulane in all light blue is okay. Especially if that combination is rarely used. Not wild about the metallic decals and facemask though.

11 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

WVU will be doing their Appalachian Tigers (read: LSU rip off) look this weekend. With no yellow in the jersey, this could be an uneven look.

Eghhhh. I think I'd rather them wear all white on the road. On its face, gold-white-gold is a great look. But like you pointed out, DC, (and as I did a few years ago), it's also something that puts me immediately in mind of LSU.

Sparky is the superior helmet logo period. Plus, ASU doesn’t use the fork correctly most of the time anyways. When they use the primary gold helmet with the maroon fork, half of the logo is gold and therefore is lost in the background with skinny maroon outlines. Also, they need to dump the Boise State logo trend with the giant oversized fork on one side and numbers on the other.

Use the fork everywhere else you want, midfield, t shirts, statues, etc whatever but Sparky belongs on the helmet at ASU.

I think people are making Tulane’s choice of uniforms out to be way more than what they are. The light blue is an alternate uniform. Not a primary. As an alternate, as something of a one-off, it’s fine. I’d even go so far to say that it’s beautiful. 

14 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

WVU will be doing their Appalachian Tigers (read: LSU rip off) look this weekend. With no yellow in the jersey, this could be an uneven look.

Don't really see why there needs to be yellow in the jersey. A lot of uniforms from the past are a combination of colors that are divided between different elements, but balance in the end. 

13 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I hate Tulane's turf with a passion. Those gawdam brown sections. Why would you want to replicate the look of dead grass every five yards?

Those turf sections are about the only thing related to Tulane that is truly  "olive green"...😉