College Football 2019

29texan

It *is* the Vapor Untouchable template, just without the mesh collar insert (proof that it — much like Flywire — serves no real function or purpose). I was told it was simply "in the way" when Nike designed Oregon's oversized numbers, and early concepts made them sit down too far on the model's stomach to the point where the numbers could essentially be tucked in, depending on the player's height. And I can also confirm the Ducks are not the only team that will be wearing oversized numbers next season.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2019 at 10:22 PM, AndrewMLind said:

It *is* the Vapor Untouchable template, just without the mesh collar insert (proof that it — much like Flywire — serves no real function or purpose). I was told it was simply "in the way" when Nike designed Oregon's oversized numbers, and early concepts made them sit down too far on the model's stomach to the point where the numbers could essentially be tucked in, depending on the player's height. And I can also confirm the Ducks are not the only team that will be wearing oversized numbers next season.

Arizona, Texas and Oklahoma all wore larger numbers than usual on the front last year. Is Oregon's a full 13 inches on the front and back?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/3/2019 at 3:54 AM, mafiaman said:

You misspelled “an abomination.” 

I know, I know... it's the old traditional style from a million years ago, therefore it must be complete trash.  But the garnet helmet actually looks good.  It was different that most gaudy, over the top alternates.  They actually made it looks nice and fit within the uniform structure and balance.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:22 PM, AndrewMLind said:

Drop some names!

14 hours ago, jsr862 said:

Pitt will announce rebrand on 4/7/19 the Sunday before the spring game. Unknown if uniforms will be shown or just announcement of change of colors. But official 4-7-19 has been posted.

Am I in the minority that I think Pitt looks better in Navy than Royal Blue?  Don't get me wrong the royal/yellow isn't a bad look, but IMO when I look at it I see WVU not Pitt. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 2/27/2019 at 11:22 PM, AndrewMLind said:

the FlyWire was designed to prevent stretching of the collar where it would slip under the shoulder pads sometimes. if memory serves, im pretty sure i saw that it made a positive difference, lowering the number of times it happened over a season. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, bkknight95 said:

Am I in the minority that I think Pitt looks better in Navy than Royal Blue?  Don't get me wrong the royal/yellow isn't a bad look, but IMO when I look at it I see WVU not Pitt. 

WVU is navy though. Pitt looks great in the royal. Both home and road jerseys are modern classics.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

WVU is navy though. Pitt looks great in the royal. Both home and road jerseys are modern classics.

Agreed, but they aren’t “modern classics”. They’re just classic classics, for lack of a better term. Modern classics are, for example, the Vikings or Texans (both IMO, of course). Modern uniforms that, if they aren’t already, will soon be considered classics. The Pitt uniforms are just straight throwbacks.

ExJworW.png

3 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Agreed, but they aren’t “modern classics”. They’re just classic classics, for lack of a better term. Modern classics are, for example, the Vikings or Texans (both IMO, of course). Modern uniforms that, if they aren’t already, will soon be considered classics. The Pitt uniforms are just straight throwbacks.

Highly overrated throwbacks at that but they are distinctly Pitt so I guess they have that going for them.

4 hours ago, WSU151 said:

this is true. probably should have made that a little clearer. Idk, I just don't see Pitt as a royal/yellow team. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

the FlyWire was designed to prevent stretching of the collar where it would slip under the shoulder pads sometimes. if memory serves, im pretty sure i saw that it made a positive difference, lowering the number of times it happened over a season. 

If that were quantifiably true, then why doesn’t the Mach Speed template or Vapor Untouchable template have Flywire on the collar? Or why did numerous teams that wore the Speed Machine/Hypercool/Elite 51 templates opt for look over the supposed functionality. Not to mention the first Pro Combat, which had Flywire on the shoulders to supposedly help the jersey remain tight against the pads. You’d think both the teams and players would encourage Nike to continue to use it on their templates if it truly made a difference. It doesn’t have to be on the outside of the uniform, either, but rather inside the collar or shoulders. Double-sided tape and/or a tighter jersey works better at doing what Nike claimed Flywire did — and it’s worth noting this is all coming from someone who typically defends Nike.

My guess? They probably designed (what they consider) a better looking collar that accomplishes the same goal for their newer templates. Maybe they saw that no one liked the Flywire collar and decided to address it?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

11 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

My guess? They probably designed (what they consider) a better looking collar that accomplishes the same goal for their newer templates. Maybe they saw that no one liked the Flywire collar and decided to address it?

I agree. It was a design element that was destined to be short lived and was. Nike loves to emphasize the technical elements of their templates but eventually the element/feature becomes stale and in this sense it somewhat called out a design flaw, the jerseys required extra reinforcement which tends to imply a less than elegant design.  What is funny is that they have swung to the other end of .the spectrum and created great minimal/sleek templates but those lack distinguishable/marketable design design elements will likely push their design back to the speed machine era

Archived