26 minutes ago, Mingjai said:

I didn't think we'd have an example of not having a left- and right-facing logo within a few posts after I posted--so much for common sense. The bear should be facing forwards on either side of the helmet.

The only time it's acceptable for a front facing logo to not face forward is if it is in the middle of a letter, like the Broncos old logo. Otherwise, it should face forward. 

Arizona Wildcats To Wear Desert Swarm Throwback Uniforms For Homecoming

October 14, 2019 - 19:59 PM

As a nod to the “Desert Swarm” defense of the 1990s, Arizona announced it will wear throwback uniforms for its homecoming game against Oregon State on Nov. 2. The Wildcats put together one of the nation’s fiercest defenses under the […]

Read More...

Yeah, if it could be an awesome throwback and if they could make them the permanent home uniforms next year, that'd be great.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:08 AM, BearW17hNoName said:

Baylor is sticking with all-green at home, but bringing back the Sailor Bear helmet decals for homecoming.

spacer.png

The more I see it, the more it looks like a "Baylor-ized" version of our last Nike set; the number font is different, the collar has been minimized a little and the shoulder cap trend of the last couple years is removed; pants are completely different

usa-today-8783341.0.jpg

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

The only time it's acceptable for a front facing logo to not face forward is if it is in the middle of a letter, like the Broncos old logo. Otherwise, it should face forward. 

As a kid I really wanted a reversed version of the Broncos' old D logo, and then when I saw a concept of it on the internet I realized that I've never known what I actually wanted.

1 hour ago, H11K said:

Seen the uniform with my own eyes, and it looks really good, I think most on here will like the small details that were added to the Uniform

What uniform are you talking about?

25 minutes ago, dont care said:

What uniform are you talking about?

Wow, I thought this was a completely different thread, It was in regards to the Arizona Desert Storm throwback uniform that was announced this past weekend

On 10/12/2019 at 1:37 PM, Griffinmarlins said:

UNLV-Vanderbilt might be the worst looking game of the year. 

Me: Oh it can't have been that bad. 

*Googles pictures*

Me: Oh no...

spacer.png

41 minutes ago, Green27 said:

Me: Oh it can't have been that bad. 

*Googles pictures*

Me: Oh no...

spacer.png

The contrast stitching on Vandy's jerseys and pants just make it that much worse too. 

Texas will wear throwbacks this weekend against Kansas to commemorate the 50th anniversary of their 1969 championship season

Texas Longhorns To Celebrate 1969 National Championship With Throwback Uniforms

October 15, 2019 - 21:21 PM

Texas will celebrate the 50th anniversary of its 1969 national championship by wearing throwback uniforms during this Saturday’s game against Kansas (8 p.m. on the Longhorn Network). The biggest difference between the Longhorns’ current burnt orange home jersey and the […]

Read More...

So I heard Auburn is deciding against changing their logo. Not gonna lie, I’m annoyed at this. The changes were so minor, and they made so much sense from a design and marketing standpoint, and yet people stubbornly resisted the change and the school caved into their demands. I understand that it’s  important to listen to their fans and give them what they want, but I just wonder if they even know why they didn’t want the new logo? Did they really not like it, or is this another case of people resisting change of any kind?

1 hour ago, BigRed618 said:

So I heard Auburn is deciding against changing their logo. Not gonna lie, I’m annoyed at this. The changes were so minor, and they made so much sense from a design and marketing standpoint, and yet people stubbornly resisted the change and the school caved into their demands. I understand that it’s  important to listen to their fans and give them what they want, but I just wonder if they even know why they didn’t want the new logo? Did they really not like it, or is this another case of people resisting change of any kind?

Thinking of UNLV and maybe Dayton, fans usually don't like unexpected changes which is not surprising at all.  I'd say the general population doesn't understand the value & importance of simplifying brands for easier digital media and screen print/embroidery applications.  I'm sure most people on this website know how important those are leading to more positive reviews on the change than from the general population.  Maybe someone else can go into better detail than me.

Felt this was going to happen since Rovell leaked the uniform this summer, but Northwestern announced its wearing its gothic uniform for Friday night's matchup against Ohio State. There are some small changes from the last set thanks to a template change (as outlined here). And personally, I'm thrilled that I get to see (and shoot) these in person after Nebraska failed to give me their black alternates a few weeks back.

It is a bit ironic the poem they used in the teaser talks about putting up a fight against death, though.

13 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

So it's pretty multi-layered in fact.

Auburn people are notoriously against change. They hate the new buildings in town, the construction, the new uniforms, the idea of new uniforms for football. It's very tough to have a discussion on "What ifs" or throw out concepts for the sake of it without being bombarded with "NO CHANGE EVER!" responses from a large majority of people.

The proposed logo fell into that category also. The existing AU has been around since 1966 and seen tweaks many times, mostly with the University trying to settle into a consistent brand. There's a ton of different versions of the AU floating around and from Auburn's history, but those could easily be swiped away as "unofficial."

The design itself wasn't great either. For such a small but drastic change, it felt like a waste of money and time to a lot of people. For the sake of changing the logo, every placement of the existing AU would have to be changed also. Was told that a student intern was sent through the Auburn Arena to count the number of logos visible. They quit after hitting 1,000 placements, and that doesn't even include the 9,000+ seats that have the logo on the back of the chair and the sides of the armrests. 

The amount of time and money it would've taken to replace all the logos across campus would have been absolutely absurd and totally not worth it - especially for the "minor changes" that people claim. Jordan-Hare Stadium has two massive AU logos on it that would have to be replaced. Auburn's baseball field just got new turf two years ago with the existing AU logo. The grounds crew would have to replace all their logo templates - those aren't cheap. Yea, these changes are made for all sorts of changes at schools across the country, but most of those are more drastic logo changes.

Finally, the belief is that the logo change was facilitated by the now-former University President, Steven Leath. His tenure was short and entirely rocky. He as advised to do certain things by the Board, and he went other ways. The belief is that once he was canned as President, the school "let leak" the logo change, even though it had been rumored for a few months prior. But that was probably the first step in the motion to kill any logo change. Even the employees they added to the logo task-force committee (whatever they called it) were not a fan of the idea of change. Athletics was rumored to be fighting the change the entire time, as well.

tl;dr - Former President sucks, logo change never had a promising outlook.

24 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

Felt this was going to happen since Rovell leaked the uniform this summer, but Northwestern announced its wearing its gothic uniform for Friday night's matchup against Ohio State. There are some small changes from the last set thanks to a template change (as outlined here). And personally, I'm thrilled that I get to see (and shoot) these in person after Nebraska failed to give me their black alternates a few weeks back.

It is a bit ironic the poem they used in the teaser talks about putting up a fight against death, though.

Well the loss would all but kill their hopes for a bowl, right?

14 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

Honestly, I think it’s a marketing issue more than anything, but I don’t think there’s an easy playbook for winning a situation like this.

In today’s media snippet culture, everyone is competing for that same little shred of relevance every minute of every day, and teams just think/see “NEW!!!” and automatically move to, “Well, how do we roll this out to get our fans excited?!” without ever evaluating whether presenting to the public as new is even worth it.

The fact is, not everything needs to be publicized in this way, and especially not if it’s just a clean-up for the purposes of better display across all media. If I saw a “New Logo!” headline and clicked the link to see a barely noticeable change like that, I’d be let down. It feels a little dishonest, like you’re trying to sell people on how important and exciting the new model is when it’s really just last year’s model with a new paint job. That doesn’t put people in a good mood, and you’ve basically set your audience up with a sour taste, and they respond by roasting you for wasting time and money on something so inconsequential to them.

On the other hand, if you roll it out with no press release, someone somewhere is going to notice (because you have no notify vendors and licensees who put your logo on product), they’re going to put it up on Twitter, and then the narrative becomes, “They tried to sneak a new logo through like we wouldn’t notice! Get out the pitchforks!”

It’s a lose-lose proposition these days. Great work doesn’t even guarantee success against mob mentality. It would be interesting to compare the different ways teams/companies have unveiled projects like this and see if that has a correlation to the success of the “new” logo.

EDIT: Great insights from Clint up above as well.

13 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s a lose-lose proposition these days. Great work doesn’t even guarantee success against mob mentality. It would be interesting to compare the different ways teams/companies have unveiled projects like this and see if that has a correlation to the success of the “new” logo.

One more thing - Auburn didn't announce the logo change. It was "leaked," then reported, then Auburn confirmed it with their horrendous "not a logo but a new visual identity system" quote. The idea was bad, the reveal wasn't ideal, and Auburn's handling of the reports was laughable.

Some Auburn officials were reportedly mad that the news was ever announced, yet they provided a reporter with the new images. They did it to themselves.