29texan

College Football 2019

Recommended Posts

How about more games in general be color vs. color? Follow most non-American football (soccer) teams and just make sure the uniforms contrast enough. 
 

The fact we almost demand teams wear white is ludicrous to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

Color on Color should just be left up to the teams, IMO, instead of the wrist-slap penalty of losing a time out. As memory serves, with the UCLA-USC series, the away team will lose a timeout for violating uniform rules and then the home team will just ceremoniously burn a time out on the first play. 

 

Forcing color-vs-color in rivalry games is a dumb idea, though. Nearly a century of great Nebraska-Oklahoma games prove my point. 

I don't think anyone was thinking about Nebraska-Oklahoma, color vs color would be impossible, and they don't even play anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Color vs color only works when their is substantial contrast. USC vs UCLA is beautiful. Arizona vs Arizona st was too dark imo. 
 

But I agree that when done well, it’s fun for rivalry games or neutral site/bowl match ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Color on Color should just be left up to the teams, IMO, instead of the wrist-slap penalty of losing a time out. As memory serves, with the UCLA-USC series, the away team will lose a timeout for violating uniform rules and then the home team will just ceremoniously burn a time out on the first play.

As I mentioned before, that's not the rule anymore. As long as both teams agree to it, there's no penalty for the road team wearing a colored jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BVZ said:

Color vs color only works when their is substantial contrast. USC vs UCLA is beautiful. Arizona vs Arizona st was too dark imo. 
 

But I agree that when done well, it’s fun for rivalry games or neutral site/bowl match ups.

yep, I really didn't like the Arizona-Arizona St color v color game. Didn't Tennessee and Bama do that many years ago? That's also not quite enough contrast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 3:19 PM, MJWalker45 said:

http://nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

Actually they have. Uniforms as well.

Related image

While definitely similar, the uniforms here (which appear to be early 2000s maybe?) are different enough from the Chargers' uniforms of the same general era, especially given that Kent State did not wear a similar helmet. In the photo above, they're wearing their 2000-2015 eagle/bolt/K logo helmets. These uniforms also include gold touching blue, which is something entirely missing from the similar Chargers' uniforms (and, in my opinion, significantly changes the "feel" of these two looks).

 

sept-2003-drew-brees-of-the-san-diego-ch

 

So yes, I agree that they're similar looks. But with the helmets bearing entirely different logos, and the color treatments being just different enough, I think it's fairly clear that it's Kent State and not the Chargers.

 

As for the helmets themselves, Kent State has only ever worn one helmet that was a direct "copy" of a Chargers helmet and only for one game, on 11/2/2013 in a 16-7 loss to Akron. But, I think the point about similarity regarding helmets, specifically, carries more weight. According to the Helmet Project, Kent State has worn six helmets that essentially look like recolors of Chargers helmets. (This doesn't count the 1964-65 helmet and the 1998-99 helmet, as the former looks to have used a differently shaped bolt, and the latter had KENT under the bolt which obviously distinguishes it.) However, the Chargers have worn essentially the same helmet that has just gone through a series of re-colors through their entire existence. Further, it's a unique design, having the bolts almost mimicking stripes, instead of being a logo on the side of the helmet (a la Air Force). So any time Kent State would use a similar design, I think that could lead to confusion (in a vacuum, anyway) because of the essentially identical color scheme (even if the color treatment is a little different). (Obviously other factors would differentiate. I can't really think of a time where a viewer would be confused to see the LA Chargers playing the Ohio Bobcats on a Tuesday. But again, in a vacuum, and from a sheer trademark/protect-your-visual-identity/brand standpoint where, in football at least, helmets are so essential to brands, I do think that those particular Kent State helmets are too similar to the Chargers'.)

 

I do think it's interesting that Kent State has two other bolt logos that I've not really seen used elsewhere:

Kent_St_R.gif Kent_St_OLD8.gif

 

They should own either or both of those, as the bolt/electricity (i.e. golden flash) is a much more distinct mark around which to build a brand. They even have an updated version of the bolt-K (though it kind of also looks like a banner around the K?):

 

kentstate2017.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

While definitely similar, the uniforms here (which appear to be early 2000s maybe?) are different enough from the Chargers' uniforms of the same general era, especially given that Kent State did not wear a similar helmet. In the photo above, they're wearing their 2000-2015 eagle/bolt/K logo helmets. These uniforms also include gold touching blue, which is something entirely missing from the similar Chargers' uniforms (and, in my opinion, significantly changes the "feel" of these two looks).

 

sept-2003-drew-brees-of-the-san-diego-ch

 

So yes, I agree that they're similar looks. But with the helmets bearing entirely different logos, and the color treatments being just different enough, I think it's fairly clear that it's Kent State and not the Chargers.

 

As for the helmets themselves, Kent State has only ever worn one helmet that was a direct "copy" of a Chargers helmet and only for one game, on 11/2/2013 in a 16-7 loss to Akron. But, I think the point about similarity regarding helmets, specifically, carries more weight. According to the Helmet Project, Kent State has worn six helmets that essentially look like recolors of Chargers helmets. (This doesn't count the 1964-65 helmet and the 1998-99 helmet, as the former looks to have used a differently shaped bolt, and the latter had KENT under the bolt which obviously distinguishes it.) However, the Chargers have worn essentially the same helmet that has just gone through a series of re-colors through their entire existence. Further, it's a unique design, having the bolts almost mimicking stripes, instead of being a logo on the side of the helmet (a la Air Force). So any time Kent State would use a similar design, I think that could lead to confusion (in a vacuum, anyway) because of the essentially identical color scheme (even if the color treatment is a little different). (Obviously other factors would differentiate. I can't really think of a time where a viewer would be confused to see the LA Chargers playing the Ohio Bobcats on a Tuesday. But again, in a vacuum, and from a sheer trademark/protect-your-visual-identity/brand standpoint where, in football at least, helmets are so essential to brands, I do think that those particular Kent State helmets are too similar to the Chargers'.)

 

I do think it's interesting that Kent State has two other bolt logos that I've not really seen used elsewhere:

Kent_St_R.gif Kent_St_OLD8.gif

 

They should own either or both of those, as the bolt/electricity (i.e. golden flash) is a much more distinct mark around which to build a brand. They even have an updated version of the bolt-K (though it kind of also looks like a banner around the K?):

 

kentstate2017.jpg

Kent's home jerseys at the same time were Bizarro style copies of the LT/Drew Brees unis at the time as well. The shoulder bolts were all yellow and the numbers were all white. 

Image result for josh cribbs kent state

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

How about more games in general be color vs. color? Follow most non-American football (soccer) teams and just make sure the uniforms contrast enough. 
 

The fact we almost demand teams wear white is ludicrous to me. 

 

The speed of the game is also a reason to dictate one team in white, or light grey. A game like Bama/Tennesee or Arizona/ASU is challenging for the spectators because the colors don't contrast well, but game speed on field level, its difficult for players to see their own players, or for officials to see whats going on. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dannykraft said:

I don't think anyone was thinking about Nebraska-Oklahoma, color vs color would be impossible, and they don't even play anymore. 

 

Not regularly.  But that's not the point.  You're missing the forest for the trees.

 

What about Pitt-Penn State?  Or Pitt-West Virginia?  Or Alabama-Georgia.  Cincy-MiamiOH.  Marshall-Ohio.  There are dozens of rivalry games where the teams have way too similar color schemes for an all-color game to make sense.  

 

The idea that any/all rivalry games should be color-on-color doesn't work.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texas A&M for the first time since I can remember didn't wear a single alternate uniform or look. Every home game was M/M/W and every road game was M/W/M. Even before the alternate uniform and helmet craze took off, A&M would usually wear monochrome maroon at least once for the designated maroon-out game (usually against UT in odd years and OU/Neb in even years) and white jerseys and pants for an early season road game. Last year the only alternate uniform was the 1998 throwback which would look like a regular uniform to the casual viewer. Jimbo Fisher is certainly not a fan of alternate looks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Texas A&M for the first time since I can remember didn't wear a single alternate uniform or look. Every home game was M/M/W and every road game was M/W/M. Even before the alternate uniform and helmet craze took off, A&M would usually wear monochrome maroon at least once for the designated maroon-out game (usually against UT in odd years and OU/Neb in even years) and while jerseys and pants for an early season road game. Last year the only alternate uniform was the 1998 throwback which would look like a regular uniform to the casual viewer. Jimbo Fisher is certainly not a fan of alternate looks

To be fair, A&M has always had a traditional look. Even with their one off looks, they really didn’t mix and match with the uniform sets except with the Maroon Helmet that came with the dark grey uniforms.

 

That said I do miss the white helmets, I loved the all white look and the White/Maroon/White look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Colt16 said:

To be fair, A&M has always had a traditional look. Even with their one off looks, they really didn’t mix and match with the uniform sets except with the Maroon Helmet that came with the dark grey uniforms.

 

That said I do miss the white helmets, I loved the all white look and the White/Maroon/White look

The problem is some of those alternates were not worth the effort because they didn't stand out except for their lack of standing out. 

Image result for texas a&m alternate uniforms adidas

They also had a few stinkers that most people try to forget

Image result for texas a&m alternate uniforms adidas

Image result for texas a&m alternate uniforms adidas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

The problem is some of those alternates were not worth the effort because they didn't stand out except for their lack of standing out. 

I think a majority of the fans did not like most of those one-off alternate looks that Sumlin and Adidas worked on. By 2015 we were wearing so many different alternates it just was getting ridiculous. Why was an unannounced alt uniform necessary for a road game against Vandy on the SEC Network? I do feel the white helmets were well received and wish they would keep it around for one or 2 games tops. The W/M/W combo is one of my favorite looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

I do feel the white helmets were well received and wish they would keep it around for one or 2 games tops. The W/M/W combo is one of my favorite looks.

A&M's white helmet looks are some of my favorites. I'd love to see them do one W/M/W game and one whiteout game. Don't need to overdo them, but wearing them once at home and once on the road would be a nice change of pace

spacer.pngspacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Kent's home jerseys at the same time were Bizarro style copies of the LT/Drew Brees unis at the time as well. The shoulder bolts were all yellow and the numbers were all white. 

Image result for josh cribbs kent state

 

Fun fact: Brees-era Purdue used an identical number treatment. All white with an "offset" white stroke (for lack of a better way to describe it).

1999-Drew-Brees-05838507.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jn8 said:

A&M's white helmet looks are some of my favorites. I'd love to see them do one W/M/W game and one whiteout game. Don't need to overdo them, but wearing them once at home and once on the road would be a nice change of pace

spacer.pngspacer.png

yep, They could at least wear them when they play a maroon, red, or dark colored helmet school.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utah going all-white for this Friday’s Pac-12 Championship:

spacer.png

Even though the Utes have the better overall record, they’re the designated away team Friday because they finished with the same conference record as the Ducks and since the two didn’t play each other in the regular season, the first applicable tiebreaker for home/away designation was both teams’ results vs. USC (the highest placed common opponent). The Utes lost to USC, while the Ducks beat USC, hence why Oregon has the home team designation. Since they didn’t go yellow/green/yellow in the Civil War, I’m thinking the Ducks will break it out this Friday:

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

 

Fun fact: Brees-era Purdue used an identical number treatment. All white with an "offset" white stroke (for lack of a better way to describe it).

1999-Drew-Brees-05838507.jpg

 

Fun fact #2: Those Purdue uniforms were basically recolored Wyoming uniforms from Joe Tiller's tenure in Laramie. The only major difference design-wise is the removal of the large wordmark on the front of the jersey and flipping the gold and white on the sleeve stripes.

 

5842691e3fc78.image.jpg

5839282802d82.image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Utah going all-white for this Friday’s Pac-12 Championship:

spacer.png

Even though the Utes have the better overall record, they’re the designated away team Friday because they finished with the same conference record as the Ducks and since the two didn’t play each other in the regular season, the first applicable tiebreaker for home/away designation was both teams’ results vs. USC (the highest placed common opponent). The Utes lost to USC, while the Ducks beat USC, hence why Oregon has the home team designation. Since they didn’t go yellow/green/yellow in the Civil War, I’m thinking the Ducks will break it out this Friday:

spacer.png

Big Ten just swaps between East and West. Big XII is by ranking I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kansas State Wildcats Unveil Throwback Uniforms

December 3, 2019 - 21:03 PM

The Kansas State men’s basketball program unveiled purple and lavender-trimmed throwback uniforms late Monday evening that feature the classic script “Wildcats” across the front. The uniforms — which will be worn as part of Kansas State’s “White Out” against Marquette […]

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.