College Football 2019

29texan

3 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Definitely cannot stand Ohio State as a team, but their throwback uniforms are suburb.  Have to be Top 10 in all of college football.  I've always been a sucker for that style of sleeve striping on any team.

Image result for michael thomas sugar bowl

Image result for ohio state football throwback

Only detail I would change is, I hope the red jersey has white tv numbers this time.

I abhor Ohio State and I'm willing to say these are top 3

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Definitely cannot stand Ohio State as a team, but their throwback uniforms are suburb.  Have to be Top 10 in all of college football.  I've always been a sucker for that style of sleeve striping on any team.

Only detail I would change is, I hope the red jersey has white tv numbers this time.

No, no, no, no, NO!  The black numbers are such a great aspect to these.  The only problem is that they don't follow the tradition and consistency with the white uniforms.  The white jersey has red numbers instead of the historically accurate black.

When it comes to the Ohio State uniform set as a whole, I think they do it almost exactly right.  Their current primary home/road are still one of the best looks in college football.  For ONE - MAYBE two - games per year, they do a black out/gray out/throw back/some sort of special uniform.  It keeps the uniform and brand on point, while still catering to marketing and recruiting without diluting the brand.  Then come playoff time, they bust out of the best looks in college football history with the gray sleeves and black TV numbers.  These uniforms, in my opinion, should be reserved for only New Year's 6 Bowls and MAYBE Michigan... but nothing else... no random week 7 against Michigan State, or a non-conference game in week 3... New Year's 6 and Michigan.  That's it.  Keep these special.  Make it another tradition.  Add it to the pageantry that makes college football so incredible.

4 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Correct...just like the Packers...and I still wonder why they refuse to change. Not actually sure why Wisconsin did that for the last year, but it did make them look better anyway.

They didn’t like adidas’ materials and jerseys. They changed it as kind of a protest against them their final year.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:51 PM, RayFinkle said:

SEC, paint the effing endzones, for christ sakes!!! 

To be fair the Falcons were home Sunday after the SEC Championship, so a fully painted endzone would have to have more paint washed off.

Ideally, the Falcons should be on the road this week every year, like the Colts, Niners, and Lions were.

7 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I would love the Eddie George era big Champion style numbers on those. 

u10130__11268.1545250976.jpg?c=2

Rumor is they'll move to the template worn by Oregon next year as well. I'm not a fan of the Nike logo at the neck but I think it could give a few teams a better way to show off shoulder stripes, like Mississippi and LSU.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Rumor is they'll move to the template worn by Oregon next year as well. I'm not a fan of the Nike logo at the neck but I think it could give a few teams a better way to show off shoulder stripes, like Mississippi and LSU.

I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if the Nike logo at the base of the collar ends up just being an Oregon thing. When teams like Oregon and Ohio State were testing the new template, the swoosh was in the normal position on the left chest, so I could see that still being the norm with most teams still opting to have their logo at the base of the collar.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if the Nike logo at the base of the collar ends up just being an Oregon thing. When teams like Oregon and Ohio State were testing the new template, the swoosh was in the normal position on the left chest, so I could see that still being the norm with most teams still opting to have their logo at the base of the collar.

I hope that's the case. If they place the swoosh at the neck I'd rather they leave the left chest blank. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I hope that's the case. If they place the swoosh at the neck I'd rather they leave the left chest blank. 

Yeah, I think it works for Oregon since the ‘O’ logo is simple and round and the sleeves and shoulders are mostly blank, but I think it would make the jerseys pretty cluttered for teams like Ohio State with a more complex logo and decorations (stripes and TV numbers) on the sleeves and shoulders.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Yeah, I think it works for Oregon since the ‘O’ logo is simple and round and the sleeves and shoulders are mostly blank, but I think it would make the jerseys pretty cluttered for teams like Ohio State with a more complex logo and decorations (stripes and TV numbers) on the sleeves and shoulders.

KfUaahT.png

Did a quick mockup. Added the Nike on the left chest as well for comparison.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

29 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

KfUaahT.png

Did a quick mockup. Added the Nike on the left chest as well for comparison.

That swoosh on the left chest is a bit too high and too far to the side than it would be in actuality:

spacer.png
spacer.png

For teams with shoulder stripes like LSU and Ole Miss, the swoosh could still fit on the left chest, but having the swoosh at the base of the collar would probably be a better choice so that the stripes have a bit more room to breathe. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 12/9/2019 at 10:22 AM, CLEstones said:

No, no, no, no, NO!  The black numbers are such a great aspect to these.  The only problem is that they don't follow the tradition and consistency with the white uniforms.  The white jersey has red numbers instead of the historically accurate black.

When it comes to the Ohio State uniform set as a whole, I think they do it almost exactly right.  Their current primary home/road are still one of the best looks in college football.  For ONE - MAYBE two - games per year, they do a black out/gray out/throw back/some sort of special uniform.  It keeps the uniform and brand on point, while still catering to marketing and recruiting without diluting the brand.  Then come playoff time, they bust out of the best looks in college football history with the gray sleeves and black TV numbers.  These uniforms, in my opinion, should be reserved for only New Year's 6 Bowls and MAYBE Michigan... but nothing else... no random week 7 against Michigan State, or a non-conference game in week 3... New Year's 6 and Michigan.  That's it.  Keep these special.  Make it another tradition.  Add it to the pageantry that makes college football so incredible.

Disagree on both counts.

1) The white TV numbers would make the entire set match the uniforms worn by Archie and Eddie. It was the look for a long time and they can go back to it full time IMO. For a one-off the black numbers look great, but full time I'd want the white back for the classic look. Also, did the white jerseys also have black TV numbers? I've never seen that.

2) Making special uniforms reserved for big games is dangerous. Our last playoff appearance was in the white version and they got blasted by Clemson. What if they lose again this year? Might make people associate the look with bad juju (I know we won our last title in them) and give the program a reason to shy away from the look again. 

That said, if they went that route and made the classic gray sleeves a big game only thing (PLEASE use them against UM every year), then they still need to fix the primaries. The home needs to use a gray stripe in the middle OR use gray sleeve caps on both jerseys to make consistent striping.

43 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Also, did the white jerseys also have black TV numbers? I've never seen that.

During 1968, I've seen a mixture of jerseys for the team. Unfortunately almost all of white jerseys I've seen are in black and white and from distance so it's hard to tell. The 1969 Ohio State-Michigan game had some players with black numbers on the sleeves and some on the shoulders so it's possible they were worn the year prior.

Image result for 1969 ohio state michigan

Related image

1970 appears to be when they swapped over to white numbers on the shoulders.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

Disagree on both counts.

1) The white TV numbers would make the entire set match the uniforms worn by Archie and Eddie. It was the look for a long time and they can go back to it full time IMO. For a one-off the black numbers look great, but full time I'd want the white back for the classic look. Also, did the white jerseys also have black TV numbers? I've never seen that.

2) Making special uniforms reserved for big games is dangerous. Our last playoff appearance was in the white version and they got blasted by Clemson. What if they lose again this year? Might make people associate the look with bad juju (I know we won our last title in them) and give the program a reason to shy away from the look again. 

That said, if they went that route and made the classic gray sleeves a big game only thing (PLEASE use them against UM every year), then they still need to fix the primaries. The home needs to use a gray stripe in the middle OR use gray sleeve caps on both jerseys to make consistent striping.

The white jerseys had black numbers, originally.  Nothing better than when uniforms have a subtle/small detail on them that make them unique.  The black TV numbers make these so unique.

FBC Mortgage Named Title Sponsor Of Cure Bowl

December 10, 2019 - 19:04 PM

The Orlando Sports Foundation last week announced a partnership with FBC Mortgage to be the title sponsor of the 2019 Cure Bowl. The game was previously sponsored by AutoNation. “Being able to partner with a national company based in Orlando […]

Read More...

The white TV numbers look better to me. They look like they were actually planned in the jersey design, whereas the black numbers look like electrical tape add-on, as if someone said "Oh :censored: we need TV numbers, quick hand me that roll"

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

During 1968, I've seen a mixture of jerseys for the team. Unfortunately almost all of white jerseys I've seen are in black and white and from distance so it's hard to tell. The 1969 Ohio State-Michigan game had some players with black numbers on the sleeves and some on the shoulders so it's possible they were worn the year prior.

Image result for 1969 ohio state michigan

Related image

1970 appears to be when they swapped over to white numbers on the shoulders.

Thank you! I tried to find a picture of the white jersey with black TV numbers and was coming up blank.

Gotta say, it works much better on the scarlet shirts. I maintain that the white numbers works best if we go to the look full time.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:22 AM, CLEstones said:

It would appear that the 1968 jerseys had either red shoulder numbers and the normal OSU sleeve stripes, or had no numbers and no sleeve stripes.. in the 1969 Rose Bowl (Jan 1st, 1969 - capping the 1968 season), the team had blank shoulders and blank sleeves.. perhaps these were new jerseys for the Rose Bowl, but it doesn't seem like they used black shoulder numbers on the white jersey to match the red jersey until the 1969 season.. which means that they may have been historically accurate for "1968 Throwbacks".. I may be incorrect here, but everything I've found from 1968 appears to have red numbers or no numbers on the shoulder.. I can't find the black shoulder numbers on the white jerseys until '69..

The number treatment was pretty much all over the place...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sometimes it was so low that it half overlapped the stripe...

spacer.png

Other times it was on the sleeves but off the stripes...

spacer.png

Some players didn't have it at all...

spacer.png

And this picture seems to show it up on the shoulder, although it looks a little fishy to me...

spacer.png

This one has it down on the sleeve...

spacer.png

Whatever, it's just a strange and glorious quirk, one that would never pass whatever boring-ass committee gets set up to vet uniforms these days. Someone up-thread mentioned that it looks like an afterthought, like someone suddenly realized they needed it and slapped it on last minute.  I agree 100%, which is exactly what makes it so awesome. The black TV numbers are like the N.Y. Giants' no-blue road jerseys, and the L.A. Dodgers' red front jersey number.  Details that some stick-up-the-butt "everything must match" decision maker would take a red marker to today. And that idiot would probably also tell me not to put hot sauce on my eggs. 

Archived