College Football 2019

29texan

Busy afternoon for me - drove to Tampa for the Outback Bowl and then Auburn decided to announce something new.

The Tigers will wear #7 decals on the left side of the helmet to honor 1971 Heisman Trophy winner Pat Sullivan. Sullivan passed away on December 1 from cancer.

Auburn will also sport grey facemasks. This is the first time the Tigers have changed the uniform design (not counting 3D bumpers, chrome-ish stripe, etc) since 2007. Auburn honored the 50th anniversary of the 1957 national championship team against Vanderbilt wearing logo-less helmets and grey facemasks.

Minnesota will be going with chrome helmets, white jerseys, and maroon pants. Wish they had gone with gold pants.

2019-Auburn-vs-Minnesota-expected-unifor

And the field design for tomorrow's game. A bit bland, but thankful for some color.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Clintau24 said:

Busy afternoon for me - drove to Tampa for the Outback Bowl and then Auburn decided to announce something new.

The Tigers will wear #7 decals on the left side of the helmet to honor 1971 Heisman Trophy winner Pat Sullivan. Sullivan passed away on December 1 from cancer.

Auburn will also sport grey facemasks. This is the first time the Tigers have changed the uniform design (not counting 3D bumpers, chrome-ish stripe, etc) since 2007. Auburn honored the 50th anniversary of the 1957 national championship team against Vanderbilt wearing logo-less helmets and grey facemasks.

Minnesota will be going with chrome helmets, white jerseys, and maroon pants. Wish they had gone with gold pants.

2019-Auburn-vs-Minnesota-expected-unifor

And the field design for tomorrow's game. A bit bland, but thankful for some color.

If you want color, go to Mons Venus or 2001 Odyssey.

3 minutes ago, RayFinkle said:

Hmmmm I do like the Auburn/Minnesota matchup. Good contrasting colors. Endzones look ok too, even though they are not painted.

Minnesota does not look good with those ridiculous chrome gold helmets with the giant gopher head. 

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Minnesota does not look good with those ridiculous chrome gold helmets with the giant gopher head. 

I said the colors look good. Not their goofy cartoonish gopher helmet look. LOL

I am expecting Bama/Michigan to look great.

23 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I understand where you’re coming from, and it is indeed progress, so some kudos to them for that. But I can commend said progress while still maintaining it’s a poor uniform and that Oregon still has some bad habits they haven’t dropped yet.

The chrome helmet is not only a fad that’s run much too long a course in general, but does not go with anything else on the uniform. Sure the wings are mud green, but there’s no other silvery element from the neck down that justifies any use of chrome a chrome shell on the helmet whatsoever and looks terribly out of place. The chrome isn’t there to look good, it’s there to be “cool”, and lends some evidence to me that that is what Oregon still concerns itself with. A yellow shell matches and looks good (as well as balanced). Chrome does not.

The green they are wearing is terrible. Sometimes it looks black, sometimes it looks vaguely piney, sometimes it looks like mud. It’s not a pleasant color and is not a necessary color either when they have a nice Apple green and a better forest green to choose from. And why do you have to have another green anyways? If you want to wear something that dark, why not just wear black? Again, Oregon still tends to concern itself philosophically with the wrong things. “Cool/different” =/= good. They’re getting better as other combos suggest, yes, but the scale is still tipping the wrong way when you bust this kind of combo out at all, let alone the Rose Bowl.

They’ve learned one mistake from the 2012 Rose Bowl set; the yellow numbers are a much better contrast than the duck feather ones they had before. I’ll gladly give them applause for figuring that out, and again, that is some progress. But they’ve still got a ways to go in my opinion overall.

Once they stick with consistent colors, drop chrome and other unnecessary colors, and start designing stuff meant to last and not be a walking fad year after year like they’re obsessed with being, then they’ll be much better off. 

I get it. The chrome is out of left field, and the green is polarizing, but just as repetition and unity are principles of design, so are emphasis and variety. That’s what’s great about design. There’s never a single correct answer, and there are countless paths to an engaging and attractive result.

I wasn’t exactly defending this particular Rose Bowl uniform. Rather, I was making a general statement about where they were and where they are, which appears to be forgotten at times. So, while there is a lot of personal preference at play here, you can’t deny that Oregon has put out uniforms that make considerably more sense in terms of pure design as of late.

Looking back, there were a lot of decent combinations that were soured by strange design elements and/or overdesign, but you could always count on some head scratchers that just didn’t work at all:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The combinations the last few years have been a breath of fresh air in comparison, and I think it’s mainly because they pared down the “stuff” and focused on the color and versatility of using the different pieces together.

Today’s uniform is a bit of a step out, but I like it. They did a good job uniting the helmet to the uniform with the green wings, and the chrome stands out as an interesting focal point. It is the odd man out, but I think it works better here because the rest is so spare, and truth be told, a chrome helmet never looks better than under the Pasadena sunset. I also love the green color. I wish it was maybe one swatch brighter, but while others may hate it, it’s one of my favorite colors.

It’s far from offensive or the worst they’ve looked, no matter whether you “like” it or not.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

14 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I get it. The chrome is out of left field, and the green is polarizing, but just as repetition and unity are principles of design, so are emphasis and variety. That’s what’s great about design. There’s never a single correct answer, and there are countless paths to an engaging and attractive result.

I wasn’t exactly defending this particular Rose Bowl uniform. Rather, I was making a general statement about where they were and where they are, which appears to be forgotten at times. So, while there is a lot of personal preference at play here, you can’t deny that Oregon has put out uniforms that make considerably more sense in terms of pure design as of late.

Looking back, there were a lot of decent combinations that were soured by strange design elements and/or overdesign, but you could always count on some head scratchers that just didn’t work at all:

The combinations the last few years have been a breath of fresh air in comparison, and I think it’s mainly because they pared down the “stuff” and focused on the color and versatility of using the different pieces together.

Today’s uniform is a bit of a step out, but I like it. They did a good job uniting the helmet to the uniform with the green wings, and the chrome stands out as an interesting focal point. It is the odd man out, but I think it works better here because the rest is so spare, and truth be told, a chrome helmet never looks better than under the Pasadena sunset. I also love the green color. I wish it was maybe one swatch brighter, but while others may hate it, it’s one of my favorite colors.

It’s far from offensive or the worst they’ve looked, no matter whether you “like” it or not.

Well said. I agree with pretty much everything you said here.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 12/29/2019 at 10:16 AM, TenaciousG said:

The golden gophers need to

scrap metallic gold. I know that’s somewhat contradictory for the GOLDen gophers but it looks terrible. And who decided metallic gold had to always be a tan shade of gold? Why can’t it be more yellow?

I agree with you on the Gophers giving up metallic gold, but it does seem that they’ve tried to make the metallic gold more yellow that prior years’ efforts. Or maybe it’s just lighting. 

I suppose the whole tan versus yellow as a base for metallic gold gets back to the fact that most people know gold as 14K gold instead of pure 24K gold, which appears more yellow.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Oregon would look a lot better if this were a night game. This shade of green does not work as well in daylight, but at night it looks fantastic. 

That said, even if it were a night game, I’d still be disappointed in the uniform choice. I understand it’s an homage to the last time they played Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, but apple green would be SOOOO much better to wear in a high-profile bowl game. I like the combo, but I’d much rather see them use it during the regular season than in the Rose Bowl

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I definitely agree with the bolded, design is subjective and open to all sorts of interpretation and discussion! And I certainly appreciate that (I think this has been a great discussion, btw). And Oregon has indeed improved over the years, you’re absolutely right on those points. I think embracing Apple green a little more, if anything, has been a giant step in the right direction.

So yes, they’re definitely out from where they were and are further along. It’s my opinion though that they still have some bad habits and fads to shed, and that it’s really time for them to finally settle down on a concrete look and color scheme. I’m just personally the kind of designer and design fan that prefers things be made to last, so that admittedly influences and has influenced my feelings on Oregon heavily. I understand too though that others feel different, and that’s totally cool. Nobody’s wrong! :) 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, jn8 said:

Oregon would look a lot better if this were a night game. This shade of green does not work as well in daylight, but at night it looks fantastic. 

That said, even if it were a night game, I’d still be disappointed in the uniform choice. I understand it’s an homage to the last time they played Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, but apple green would be SOOOO much better to wear in a high-profile bowl game. I like the combo, but I’d much rather see them use it during the regular season than in the Rose Bowl

They should have just brought the thunder green back and called it a day.  Whatever that is now looks awful.

10 hours ago, RayFinkle said:

Crazy how the Sugar Bowl never paints the endzones (even for the Saints)  but yet can put GIANT logos all over the field. 

They'll be painted next week and a half for the championship. Each bowl has their own style and the bigger bowls usually do a good job of field design. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived