College Football 2019

29texan

Probably nothing, Wyoming has been wearing these pants in practice

spacer.png

They match what Wyoming was wearing in their uniform announcement and promos last year but they only wore solid gold pants all season long with home and road. So maybe these will finally see the field or maybe these just practice gear, We'll see. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it remarkable that some of the criticism leveled against the Michigan State uniform is about a design element not really fitting on the jersey (or potentially fitting differently depending on jersey size), when that same criticism could easily be applied to sleeve stripes being put on modern sleeve caps. I would be interested to know how many members here are pro-sleeve stripe on modern templates, and yet think that the "STATE" wordmark "doesn't fit." Because it feels like essentially the same idea.

As for that uniform itself, I understand that lime green (and I suppose "volt" could be included here too) always seems to get a reaction, especially in this case where it's not an official team color. And yeah, the large wordmark is gaudy. But this is far from an "abomination" or one of the worst uniforms of the year, etc. I would argue that if one of those two elements were not there, those uniforms would get a reaction more along the lines of, "yeah, I can live with that for an alternate." For example, take out the lime green:

spacer.png

After a couple people would comment about the wordmark, this wouldn't get a second look until they actually wore them.

I know that's an in-a-vacuum/if-you-just argument, but my point remains that this uniform is not awful. It's not this (for instance):

spacer.png

Frankly, I think this Michigan State uniform will be looked back on (in 15ish+ years) with the same kind of hey-remember-that-one-uniform quasi-fondness as these (and their ilk):

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I find it remarkable that some of the criticism leveled against the Michigan State uniform is about a design element not really fitting on the jersey (or potentially fitting differently depending on jersey size), when that same criticism could easily be applied to sleeve stripes being put on modern sleeve caps.

Here are a list of NFL teams that have gotten sleeve stripes to work on the Vapor Untouchable template:

bears

cowboys

chiefs

49ers

Vikings

Giants (away)

not a long list, but certainly possible. I think we get caught up in the bad attempts at this (Lions, for example, have to be terrible with their stripes in order to put a goddamn wordmark on their sleeve stripe) that we don’t realize that designers and manufacturers can get pretty much anything to work, so long as they actually care about the design. So it’s valid to complain about how the STATE just barely cuts off, because it doesn’t look intentional, it looks like a mistake. Especially since when you took out the lime green, that could be a top 10 alternate IMO if that dumb wordmark was just small enough to fit on the front. With the lime and the seemingly accidental wordmark, it’s just another below average set.

2 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

With the lime and the seemingly accidental wordmark, it’s just another below average set.

I agree with what you're getting at, Htown. The above is the key to all this. It's not an abomination, insanity, or the worst uniform ever. It's a not too great alternate. In other words, it felt like some reactions to this uniform were a bit over the top, driven by a strong reaction to the colors or else piling on once the somewhat ridiculous size of the wordmark was pointed out. The uniform-sky is not falling because of this below-par alternate.

4 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I find it remarkable that some of the criticism leveled against the Michigan State uniform is about a design element not really fitting on the jersey (or potentially fitting differently depending on jersey size), when that same criticism could easily be applied to sleeve stripes being put on modern sleeve caps. I would be interested to know how many members here are pro-sleeve stripe on modern templates, and yet think that the "STATE" wordmark "doesn't fit." Because it feels like essentially the same idea.

As for that uniform itself, I understand that lime green (and I suppose "volt" could be included here too) always seems to get a reaction, especially in this case where it's not an official team color. And yeah, the large wordmark is gaudy. But this is far from an "abomination" or one of the worst uniforms of the year, etc. I would argue that if one of those two elements were not there, those uniforms would get a reaction more along the lines of, "yeah, I can live with that for an alternate." For example, take out the lime green:

spacer.png

After a couple people would comment about the wordmark, this wouldn't get a second look until they actually wore them.

I know that's an in-a-vacuum/if-you-just argument, but my point remains that this uniform is not awful. It's not this (for instance):

spacer.png

Frankly, I think this Michigan State uniform will be looked back on (in 15ish+ years) with the same kind of hey-remember-that-one-uniform quasi-fondness as these (and their ilk):

spacer.png

Flip that Floyd of Rosedale around and you've also got these.  I think the new MSU uniforms will probably be not really remembered at all.  They're bland.  It's like when everyone freaked out over Oregon's 124pt font sized numbers last year and then everyone just stopped caring after about 5 minutes.

apex1.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

29 minutes ago, pianoknight said:

It's like when everyone freaked out over Oregon's 124pt font sized numbers last year and then everyone just stopped caring after about 5 minutes.

I didn’t stop caring. I still despise those numbers and the implications they have on future design, even if I haven’t been continually posting about them.

5 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

spacer.png

Side note, firstly it's crazy this jersey exists but even more crazy that was a dark jersey? (as seen in this picture)

To me this seems more like a white jersey.

IbjBaeE.png

4 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Side note, firstly it's crazy this jersey exists but even more crazy that was a dark jersey? (as seen in this picture)

To me this seems more like a white jersey.

Which is why it was banned after 1 game

Helmet stripe unveiling video for Mizzou. This change has already been noted in this thread, but it’s also worth mentioning that the black pants in the video still have the “tiger” stripes on the side which might mean that only the white pants are getting the athletic stripe treatment.

3 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

I just wanna know what designer looked at this when they were designing it and said, "yeah that looks good" 

Probably the people who tried to make MLS jerseys a fashion statement.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

I just wanna know what designer looked at this when they were designing it and said, "yeah that looks good" 

Probably the same guy who made the Oregon State Training Bras.

pb7irqosnno2mmvd97b8

orst-07-allblack-allancampbell-675x3801.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

For the second straight year, the Ducks will be wearing their regular uniforms for the Spring Game and will be going all-green vs. all-yellow:

This post isn’t really an actual uniform announcement, but several players have posted shots of their helmets and jerseys to their IG stories, and it’s pretty clear that it’ll be all-green vs. all-yellow. Also, after only wearing the new green helmets twice this past season, this is just the third time that they’ll be worn.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

spacer.png

These are definitely a bit different from what I was expecting. The helmet is the same as the black helmet they used last season, but it’s still nice. The thick pant stripes are nice too, and the tree ring pattern inside the numbers is a really nice touch. I could do without the ‘Beavs’ on the chest, and the shoulder stripes are a bit weird, but overall it’s still a pretty solid look. I’d probably call it a lateral move, or maybe just a slight upgrade, but something closer to last season’s fauxbacks still would’ve been better. I will say though that I like the decision to add some white to the orange set, as now it’ll look more cohesive when mixed and matched with the black and white uniform pieces. Also, I’m very annoyed by the fact that the black jersey has an orange swoosh while the black pants have a white swoosh. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived