College Football 2019

29texan

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, FALCON6 said:

As for Iowa, is that mess on the shoulder supposed to look like a wing? Cause it just looks messy. A basic recoloring of the classic black with black numbers would have been fine.

Black jerseys with black numbers would be pretty bad. 

For those that don't know...the jersey is an homage to this:

spacer.png

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:22 PM, 4_tattoos said:

IIRC, there was a rumor during Edsall's first run at UConn that he didn't like/want red in the uniforms. Which is why they wore blue, white and gray during that time despite the rest of the school's teams having red as an accent color. Looks like he dropped red the first chance he got.

Guess we know his gang affiliation lol        j/k

Yep, this is 100% true. Randy hates red in the uniforms. I know he hated the old husky logo too. Not sure how he feels about the new one.

I think it's funny how UConn is slowly moving away from their brand refresh a couple years ago. First the return of the block C, then the removal of red. Maybe now that Randy has the uniform he wants, he will win more than one game.

1 hour ago, Ben5 said:

Yep, this is 100% true. Randy hates red in the uniforms. I know he hated the old husky logo too. Not sure how he feels about the new one.

I think it's funny how UConn is slowly moving away from their brand refresh a couple years ago. First the return of the block C, then the removal of red. Maybe now that Randy has the uniform he wants, he will win more than one game.

Based on my anecdotal observations the example above is all too common. Athletic dept does a comprehensive brand unification launch across sports and it goes sideways after 4 years or so. Either a coach wanting to put their personal stamp on a particular team (e.g. oars), throwback nostalgia, off-brand alts, or nike's forcing of new templates for a particular sport. Personally I find it to be a slight frustration as I love the unified brand concept but I also know how difficult it is to keep design continuity across a large organization so in the end I laugh at the grandiose plan erode in front of our eyes.

These aren't bad at all.  If Iowa every moves away from the Steelers look, I think an entire uniform set based on this look could work.  It looks classic, yet unique, and it's flashy enough for 17 year old recruits.  I wouldn't endorse the monochrome look full time, but for a big game where they gold out the stadium it could work.  Overall, I'd like to see an entire set based on this design.  And I'd stick with the standard helmet though, black facemask. 

90758391980.gif

12 hours ago, guest23 said:

Based on my anecdotal observations the example above is all too common. Athletic dept does a comprehensive brand unification launch across sports and it goes sideways after 4 years or so. Either a coach wanting to put their personal stamp on a particular team (e.g. oars), throwback nostalgia, off-brand alts, or nike's forcing of new templates for a particular sport. Personally I find it to be a slight frustration as I love the unified brand concept but I also know how difficult it is to keep design continuity across a large organization so in the end I laugh at the grandiose plan erode in front of our eyes.

Eventually the only parts that are consistent tends to be the numbers and maybe a wordmark. Looking at Baylor, they have everyone looking somewhat the same but their football team is so bland that you wonder how long it'll be until they come up with some craziness down the line. Then again, how many people noticed Ohio State changing their logo about four or five years ago? Sometimes subtle changes are the best way to go.

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

These aren't bad at all.  If Iowa every moves away from the Steelers look, I think an entire uniform set based on this look could work.  It looks classic, yet unique, and it's flashy enough for 17 year old recruits.  I wouldn't endorse the monochrome look full time, but for a big game where they gold out the stadium it could work.  Overall, I'd like to see an entire set based on this design.  And I'd stick with the standard helmet though, black facemask. 

If they had paired that jersey with black pants with a gold stripe they could look so much better. I really hope Penn State wears blue jerseys for that game, just to keep my eyes from straining too much. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Black jerseys with black numbers would be pretty bad. 

Meant that a recolor would bean yellow jersey with white numbers, so I included the note on black numbers. But yeah, didn't realize that it was a reference to an old uniform.

5 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

i love these. i love how bold every element is; the classic helmet of course, then the addition of theyellow mask, the stripes... and it doesnt try to do too much. the pants and socks arnt crazy and the focus of the uniform is where it should be, on the jersey. 

this is one of the better photo shoots ive seen too; remember when Nike used to shoot these things in caves and it looked like the Long Night in Game of Thrones? i love the gold backdrop and lighting here and i assume thats an actual hawk and not photoshopped in? plus having multiple players wearing the same uniform set creates a repetition that makes it easier to imagine how it works on the field with everyone next to each other. really ace presentation here

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

15 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

It's funny how a shade of color makes the difference.  If these were any brighter (like I would like), they would be condemned.  

And rightly. Schools should wear their damn school colors.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Might be an unpopular opinion from me, but I don't think these need black pants 

They need black socks. I've always felt light-colored alternate jerseys *used* to get fitted with darker pants, giving a bottom-heavy feel to the uniform and creating even more potential with the uniform being busy by trying to use colored socks or matching the socks and pants (the leotard look) 

I much prefer a uniform that matches the helmet and socks together and the jersey and pants. It's not monochrome -- there's still great potential for color balance, a lot like what you get with great soccer uniforms that are made by the socks. Soccer uniforms that are straight-color from top to bottom are boring, but socks can make an entire uniform. I feel the same way about football uniforms. 

Archived