29texan

College Football 2019

If they make the numbers normal-sized, it'll be a significant improvement.

I can't see them dumping this template since it was only introduced last year and most Nike schools are not using it yet.  I could see them possibly adding some more design onto the jerseys and/or pants since they were kind of plain last year but if anything, this will likely be a one-off similar to the Jumpman set.  They could also be modifying certain aspects (number size, coloration, patterns, helmets) to better reflect the current branding for the athletic department.  One thing I'm curious if they'll incorporate is the Flying Duck pattern that they introduced on the baseball and softball uniforms and have been using heavily in their recruiting material.

20 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

I can't see them dumping this template since it was only introduced last year and most Nike schools are not using it yet.  I could see them possibly adding some more design onto the jerseys and/or pants since they were kind of plain last year but if anything, this will likely be a one-off similar to the Jumpman set.  They could also be modifying certain aspects (number size, coloration, patterns, helmets) to better reflect the current branding for the athletic department.  One thing I'm curious if they'll incorporate is the Flying Duck pattern that they introduced on the baseball and softball uniforms and have been using heavily in their recruiting material.

The template is just the Vapor Untouchable without the mesh collar triangle. It wasn’t really a “new” template, just a modified version to accommodate the large numbers.

I’d really like to see them incorporate that pattern in a manner similar to the new baseball and softball uniforms. I think it’s a nice pattern and is something different from the various shoulder wing designs we’ve seen on past uniforms.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:44 AM, WavePunter said:

Well, they're pretty much front and center of the catalog in this particular case.. so I'm not sure anything really got moved anywhere.. they just aren't pushed by Adidas as much as the A1 PrimeKnit stuff..

I think it has much more to do with each company wanting to create "proprietary" fabrics that offer (essentially the same) different technologies and benefits, although it's pretty obvious that it's all just marketing talk..

As for the moisture-wicking properties, I spent about a year working with a small apparel company, and I learned that a fabric's ability to wick moisture is due largely to a chemical treatment of the fabric, rather than the type of fabric itself.. obviously cotton is never going to perform as well as polyester or nylon, but you could treat the cotton and have a "moisture-wicking" cotton item.. so, don't be fooled by Nike's fancy words - they typically make things sound a lot better than they actually are.. 

Sigh. 

I have a garage full of samples from various manufacturers from the past nearly 10 years.  No one in their right mind would choose to actually wear dazzle over today's newer fabrics.  The weight difference alone is substantial; it's one of the first things I do when showing my customers the difference between Nike's Vapor Untouchable template and the Nike Vapor Pro template:  hold one in each hand, and they put the Pro down...they can feel in a second that the Untouchable is going to be lighter, more comfortable, and dry faster.  I don't even keep the Nike Vapor Varsity (dazzle/mesh) samples in my gear bag for meetings...no one buys it, no one wants it.  

It's not all marketing talk.   Yes, the chemical treatment matters, but you're talking about poly tees, not high-performance athletic apparel.  Nike would be crazy to waste the money they spend in R&D each year to advance these technologies if it wasn't real...they don't do it just so they can market it, they develop things to work better.  So much more goes into it than you think, and it shows especially when you put Nike's uniform fabrics (especially in football & basketball) next to UA's & next to Adidas's.  It is not apples-to-apples.

27 minutes ago, Volt said:

Sigh. 

I have a garage full of samples from various manufacturers from the past nearly 10 years.  No one in their right mind would choose to actually wear dazzle over today's newer fabrics.  The weight difference alone is substantial; it's one of the first things I do when showing my customers the difference between Nike's Vapor Untouchable template and the Nike Vapor Pro template:  hold one in each hand, and they put the Pro down...they can feel in a second that the Untouchable is going to be lighter, more comfortable, and dry faster.  I don't even keep the Nike Vapor Varsity (dazzle/mesh) samples in my gear bag for meetings...no one buys it, no one wants it.  

It's not all marketing talk.   Yes, the chemical treatment matters, but you're talking about poly tees, not high-performance athletic apparel.  Nike would be crazy to waste the money they spend in R&D each year to advance these technologies if it wasn't real...they don't do it just so they can market it, they develop things to work better.  So much more goes into it than you think, and it shows especially when you put Nike's uniform fabrics (especially in football & basketball) next to UA's & next to Adidas's.  It is not apples-to-apples.

I agree with you up to a point but we have definitely hit the stage where the competitive advantage between the big 3 suppliers is negligible with regard to uniform or base layer fabrics making a quantifiable difference...subjectively speaking athletes may overwhelmingly believe that nike makes superior product (placebo effect) but at this point I really think we're talking about comfort and preference vs competitive advantage.

21 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

NY Giants vibes

I always got Ole Miss vibes when the Giants wore red jerseys.

6 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Interesting color choice

spacer.png

So there getting football? Cause LIU post did correct?

9 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Interesting color choice

spacer.png

The placement of the logo looks horrible. The U, in particular, is stretched across the seams and you can see it's not completely flush with the surface of the helmet.

18 hours ago, Volt said:

Sigh. 

100%

6 hours ago, lilben777 said:

So there getting football? Cause LIU post did correct?

Brooklyn and Post merged in the off-season, so the Post campus (which had football in the Division II Northeast 10 Conference) will now become the home for the entire LIU football program (Which is in the Northeast Conference)

3 hours ago, pianoknight said:

The placement of the logo looks horrible. The U, in particular, is stretched across the seams and you can see it's not completely flush with the surface of the helmet.

Absolutely -- it looks like they quite literally slapped it on the side of a random helmet. The shark logo would look so much better than the rectangle that is 'LIU.' 

7 hours ago, pianoknight said:

There’s not much you can do with that helmet. The giant ridge and the snap placement are so obtrusive that it’s almost comical; in my opinion a very transparent example of corporate ego seizing control of the design. It’s “form over function” (essentially a backward approach) at its finest, going overboard on a distinctive, disruptive look and completely inhibiting the ability to decorate the helmet in a conventional way.

47 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

There’s not much you can do with that helmet. The giant ridge and the snap placement are so obtrusive that it’s almost comical; in my opinion a very transparent example of corporate ego seizing control of the design. It’s “form over function” (essentially a backward approach) at its finest, going overboard on a distinctive, disruptive look and completely inhibiting the ability to decorate the helmet in a conventional way.

The best they look is when they paint the design on to them. But make sure you put the plates back on correctly or you can mess up the designs.

17 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Interesting color choice

spacer.png

Ehh.. It's okay. I think the shark would've been better but oh well🤷‍♀️

So, how about making dazzle fabric that works with all of the modern lightweight materials? Don’t tell me that khaki is better than gold or gray is better than silver. That’s a case of function compromising aesthetics, which I thought y’all were against, @BrandMooreArt.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:56 PM, guest23 said:

I agree with you up to a point but we have definitely hit the stage where the competitive advantage between the big 3 suppliers is negligible with regard to uniform or base layer fabrics making a quantifiable difference...subjectively speaking athletes may overwhelmingly believe that nike makes superior product (placebo effect) but at this point I really think we're talking about comfort and preference vs competitive advantage.

I wish I could sit down with you in person with all of these different uniforms on the table in front of us and let you make that claim.