College Football 2019

29texan

40 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The fact that it looks silly and sounds even sillier (not to mention it's completely unnecessary, given its location) is the sort of topic this board was built on getting into.. so, yeah, I'm good getting into that topic

Black slaves were isolated by force from the people who spoke "proper" English and developed their own twist on English because of it. Post civil war they were still separated by force and it developed away from your "proper" English even more. Since the civil rights movement, there are still systematic separations in white and black communities so the dialect has remained. The fact that you're so pissy about something only the predominantly black and southern players are going to see besides the pictures on social media is ridiculous. Take that "proper" English and shove it

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Black slaves were isolated by force from the people who spoke "proper" English and developed their own twist on English because of it. Post civil war they were still separated by force and it developed away from your "proper" English even more. Since the civil rights movement, there are still systematic separations in white and black communities so the dialect has remained. The fact that you're so pissy about something only the predominantly black and southern players are going to see besides the pictures on social media is ridiculous. Take that "proper" English and shove it

I'm quite Southern myself (having only ever lived in Alabama and South Carolina) and I know plenty of white rednecks who speak improper English.. doesn't mean it should make appearances on official college uniforms - which should represent prestigious academic institutions.. 

Making this a racially charged or political discussion is neither my goal nor something I'll entertain.. 

I don't like the silly slogan on the collar, and I'm entitled to that opinion.. it looks and sounds ridiculous, and is a slogan that could be used by any team, so it's not a unique idea/concept to them.. every team is "all they got", and since they've yet to make a playoff, they're NOT all they need.. they need a bit more.. 

Again, unnecessary random silly slogan that is zero percent unique to them (and knocked off from the Eagles' super bowl rings, which adds to the cheesiness) = fail in my opinion.

3 hours ago, 29texan said:

No... This board was created for talking about sports logos and uniforms, not dialects. 

When you get into that, you're bringing up history, difference in culture, difference in economic status, etc... then it basically gets political and we CERTAINLY don't need that here. I'm almost not wanting to ask what you meant by "unnecessary, given its location", but I'll let that slide. 

Just don't get into it at all. 

Are your serious right now?!

Unnecessary, given its location is in reference to the fact that it's INSIDE THE FREAKING UNIFORM.. it's a completely unnecessary addition.. it won't be a design element that actually impacts the on-field look.. So it's completely unnecessary.. get off your high horse.. I'm allowed to think it's a ridiculous addition to the uniform.. I'm allowed to think ripping off the Eagles is not the ideal program image.. and I'm allowed to think that using random, non-unique, non-traditional, meaningless slang that could apply to literally any and every other team in the country is cheesy.. I'm allowed to dislike that element of the uniform and how it looks whenever is IS visible (which won't be often).. I'm also allowed to question the design choice to include it, since it adds nothing and reinforces nothing.. at least a "Hook 'Em, Horns!" or a "Roll Tide!" would reinforce school pride and tradition, since the phrases are unique to the schools..

"We all we got" is a corny lyric from a 2003 Murphy Lee song, borrowed by the Eagles for their super bowl rings, and ripped off by TCU to appear swaggy to recruits.. completely unnecessary.. 

21 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I'm quite Southern myself (having only ever lived in Alabama and South Carolina) and I know plenty of white rednecks who speak improper English.. doesn't mean it should make appearances on official college uniforms - which should represent prestigious academic institutions.. 

Making this a racially charged or political discussion is neither my goal nor something I'll entertain.. 

I don't like the silly slogan on the collar, and I'm entitled to that opinion.. it looks and sounds ridiculous, and is a slogan that could be used by any team, so it's not a unique idea/concept to them.. every team is "all they got", and since they've yet to make a playoff, they're NOT all they need.. they need a bit more.. 

Again, unnecessary random silly slogan that is zero percent unique to them (and knocked off from the Eagles' super bowl rings, which adds to the cheesiness) = fail in my opinion.

There we go again with the "improper" English. Just because you don't like a vernacular doesn't make it "improper" English. There's nothing wrong with vernaculars. It's the collar of a football jersey, not an honors thesis. Having a team motto on the inside of the collar is just a thing teams do to remind them of the mentality they need when they're getting ready in the locker room. It's like when people wear necklaces with a lot of meaning under their shirt. No one else usually sees it, but it's still there to remind you of it.

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

2 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

There we go again with the "improper" English. Just because you don't like a vernacular doesn't make it "improper" English. There's nothing wrong with vernaculars. It's the collar of a football jersey, not an honors thesis. Having a team motto on the inside of the collar is just a thing teams do to remind them of the mentality they need when they're getting ready in the locker room. It's like when people wear necklaces with a lot of meaning under their shirt. No one else usually sees it, but it's still there to remind you of it.

Firstly, it's not me going again with the "improper"English.. I was referencing your use of quoting "proper" English.  And again, I'm not here to have this discussion regarding correctness or incorrectness of vernaculars or dialects and their racial/socioeconomic/political connotations.. it's hardly a team motto, certainly not unique to them, and reminds them of absolutely nothing from a mentality standpoint.. it's silly.. I'm allowed to think it's silly.. the mentality they need is to do their assignments, stay focused, and play with a high level of effort.. 

Also, the jerseys are often already placed on the shoulder pads by the equipment staff each game day, so the "hanger effect" usually doesn't even happen.. meaning everything you just said is unlikely to even take place.. players won't typically see the inside of the collar unless they look for it.. 

So again, unnecessary

2 minutes ago, Duck_Duck said:

I think punters are unnecessary.

I think the numbers actually support going for it on 4th down, but coaches like to play conservative and punt.. 🤷‍♂️ I guess punters are safe as long as they continue that trend.. good thing my punting days are long over

2 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Firstly, it's not me going again with the "improper"English.. I was referencing your use of quoting "proper" English.  And again, I'm not here to have this discussion regarding correctness or incorrectness of vernaculars or dialects and their racial/socioeconomic/political connotations.. it's hardly a team motto, certainly not unique to them, and reminds them of absolutely nothing from a mentality standpoint.. it's silly.. I'm allowed to think it's silly.. the mentality they need is to do their assignments, stay focused, and play with a high level of effort.. 

Also, the jerseys are often already placed on the shoulder pads by the equipment staff each game day, so the "hanger effect" usually doesn't even happen.. meaning everything you just said is unlikely to even take place.. players won't typically see the inside of the collar unless they look for it.. 

So again, unnecessary

That's fair. Sorry but that subject gets me worked up and I shouldn't have escalated like I did. I forgot about the whole trainer thing because my only experience around college football locker rooms is with my friends playing for small schools. I'm wondering if those quotes appear in the retail versions? If so that's a really silly reason to have them

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

16 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

That's fair. Sorry but that subject gets me worked up and I shouldn't have escalated like I did. I forgot about the whole trainer thing because my only experience around college football locker rooms is with my friends playing for small schools. I'm wondering if those quotes appear in the retail versions? If so that's a really silly reason to have them

I speak on these topics as the head football equipment guy for a college program (also the kicking/punting coach, but it seems that's not gonna win me any friends around here as of.. just now).. so every comment I make takes form and function into account.. I'm not just some random guy who watches his team once a week on TV.. my hands are on this stuff daily.. I see issues from the sidelines, press box, and on film (not just this collar text, but lots of design feature issues).. 

Do I have any problem with the fact that they used southern/black vernacular? No.. like I said, "hook em Horns" would be an example I would approve of..

But digging up a 15 year old song lyric and ripping off the Eagles rings and the 04 Pitt basketball team with overly generic slang that isn't reflective of the institution or it's tradition is where it misses the mark for me.. it's the gradient/drop-shadow/piping equivalent for hanger effects.. it's extra non-tcu-related garbage thrown into the design for no reason other than to be cool and/or force some false/irrelevant battle cry.. just feels hokey to me.. I don't like it at all..

perhaps I inaccurately represented my issues with it initially, but I didn't plan on being attacked for not liking something so trivial.. and since I wasn't the first one to express that opinion and reference the negative connection hip hop slang might have to a university, I didn't think it was a wild opinion to have.. I guess I misjudged that one.. Maybe I should be more aware and socially sensitive.. that's on me.. still don't like it  (tcu's collar text) though..

My phone is about to die, so all I'm going to say is the fact that you're getting worked up and typing entire novels over us just talking about the need to criticize the dialect is just making your post look worse.

I'm saying this for your benefit... Let it go.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

5 minutes ago, 29texan said:

My phone is about to die, so all I'm going to say is the fact that you're getting worked up and typing entire novels over us just talking about the need to criticize the dialect is just making your post look worse.

I'm saying this for your benefit... Let it go.

Nah, people who publicly judge/criticize me inaccurately by misrepresenting my comments aren't usually the ones I seek advice from.. I think I'll hang onto this one.. this is a message board regarding uniforms.. I enjoy posting messages regarding my opinions of uniforms.. I'm sorry if you don't like my opinion, but I'm not going to apologize for having my opinion.. I've outlined my reasons for my opinion pretty clearly.. you're welcome to let it go if you like, but you initially raised the issue by creating something that wasn't there and twisting it into something it isn't.. I feel as though I've made some headway with fightinggoldendevil by explaining myself, so I'm not making myself look worse to everyone.. I intend to reply in defense of my opinions and character any time they're called into question.. it being let go is entirely in your court at this point.. 

18 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

@WavePunter Now that you've pointed out that players won't even see it I don't like it either. Seems trivial

Not that it really matters, but I thought this was an interesting and unique way to display uniforms/lockers pre game.. also, it happens to be TCU, so there's that..tcu_lonhorn_lockers4.gif

And for the record, I'm not opposed to the hanger effects in-general.. they're a fun/neat little detail.. I just don't like using generic rip offs that aren't unique/meaningful to the team using them.. 

Archived