Wake Forest Demon Deacons Unveil New Football Uniforms

August 27, 2019 - 16:58 PM

After four years of wearing one of the most unique uniforms in college football, Wake Forest on Tuesday evening introduced a much simpler uniform design for the 2019 season. The Demon Deacons ditched the sleeve designs that paid homage to […]

Read More...

1 hour ago, dont care said:

So why can’t they just be manufactured with the stripes? Nike, UA, ect don’t have that problem.

That would mean creating product that could possibly never get used. 

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

That would mean creating product that could possibly never get used. 

Nike and UA don’t have that problem, why is it only a problem for adidas?

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

Nike and UA don’t have that problem, why is it only a problem for adidas?

It could be related to how the template is put together. Do the new jerseys have that same issue?

18 minutes ago, Earl said:

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed a different WF logo...

What's different about it?

Why don't these auto-threads include the image of what they're discussing?

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Why don't these auto-threads include the image of what they're discussing?

Skynet isn't that advanced...yet. 

41 minutes ago, Earl said:

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed a different WF logo...

It was actually discussed several pages back, but here's a good look courtesy @college_logos on Twitter.EC6l44nW4AIkcc_?format=png&name=900x900

You can partially see Navy's historically inspired jersey in the middle of the second image.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

You can partially see Navy's historically inspired jersey in the middle of the second image.

Probably saving it for a separate press release later for the Army/Navy game 

3 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

Probably saving it for a separate press release later for the Army/Navy game 

I mentioned that as a possibility in the article Ry responded to, as well.

5 hours ago, dont care said:

So why can’t they just be manufactured with the stripes? Nike, UA, ect don’t have that problem.

They can be. It just takes a lot longer and is much more expensive, so it’s prohibitive if you, as a school athletic department, are constrained by time or money (the vast majority of them are constrained by both).

Different jersey styles are sometimes made in different places with different equipment and different capabilities. What works at one place for a certain style of jersey may not work at another place or for a different style of jersey. For example, one jersey model might be made in the U.S. and whoever is making that product may have their operation tailored so that a small selection of stock stripe designs can be applied on demand, but not all facilities have the same capabilities and limitations. Another style might be made at a specialized factory in a different country, and obviously, there’s a much higher lead time and minimum order for something like that. Even a fully custom jersey from a domestic factory requires much more time than something from a team catalog. Certain facilities may even have exclusive contracts with brands.

Similarly, the size of the embellishments is limited by the garment and the equipment used to apply them. You have to be able to lay and secure the panel in a completely flat position without the seams sticking up above the fabric surface. A sleeve panel on a game jersey is very small, and you’re further limited by what will fit on the smallest jersey size since you’re not making separate artwork for every size of jersey. The shoulder/sleeve area is also shaped to wrap around the pads, so getting it to lay flat is no walk in the park, either. It’s much different than a t-shirt or even a replica jersey, which is essentially a t-shirt.

It’s not a perfect process by any means, but most universities and high schools aren’t designing and ordering jerseys 18 months in advance and they’re not subsidized by a huge apparel/equipment allowance like the big boys. It doesn’t change the fact that they still want the best garments, so you have to do what you can to offer your best products through the stock/catalog process. Something is better than nothing when it comes to the arms race that is sports uniforms, as evidenced by the ever-shrinking share cornered by the companies that used to dominate the industry (Wilson, Russell, Rawlings, etc.)

9 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

They can be. It just takes a lot longer and is much more expensive, so it’s prohibitive if you, as a school athletic department, are constrained by time or money (the vast majority of them are constrained by both).

Different jersey styles are sometimes made in different places with different equipment and different capabilities. What works at one place for a certain style of jersey may not work at another place or for a different style of jersey. For example, one jersey model might be made in the U.S. and whoever is making that product may have their operation tailored so that a small selection of stock stripe designs can be applied on demand, but not all facilities have the same capabilities and limitations. Another style might be made at a specialized factory in a different country, and obviously, there’s a much higher lead time and minimum order for something like that. Even a fully custom jersey from a domestic factory requires much more time than something from a team catalog. Certain facilities may even have exclusive contracts with brands.

Similarly, the size of the embellishments is limited by the garment and the equipment used to apply them. You have to be able to lay and secure the panel in a completely flat position without the seams sticking up above the fabric surface. A sleeve panel on a game jersey is very small, and you’re further limited by what will fit on the smallest jersey size since you’re not making separate artwork for every size of jersey. The shoulder/sleeve area is also shaped to wrap around the pads, so getting it to lay flat is no walk in the park, either. It’s much different than a t-shirt or even a replica jersey, which is essentially a t-shirt.

It’s not a perfect process by any means, but most universities and high schools aren’t designing and ordering jerseys 18 months in advance and they’re not subsidized by a huge apparel/equipment allowance like the big boys. It doesn’t change the fact that they still want the best garments, so you have to do what you can to offer your best products through the stock/catalog process. Something is better than nothing when it comes to the arms race that is sports uniforms, as evidenced by the ever-shrinking share cornered by the companies that used to dominate the industry (Wilson, Russell, Rawlings, etc.)

But still you don’t see the same problems from teams that order Nike, or UA uniforms. It is just an adidas problem. None of this explains why adidas can’t do the same thing as the other manufacturers other than them being to cheap to care.

36 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I'm pretty sure (like 99.999999999%) every college football jersey sleeve is wider than 5.5 inches when laid flat. So again, adidas has artificially limited the size of the stripes. 

On 8/26/2019 at 7:57 AM, Clintau24 said:

My annual labor of love showcasing every single uniform news from Power 5 teams to Division 3 is now out! Over 120 teams featured here.

2019-NCAA-CFB-Uniforms-1.png

I didn’t see Tulane mentioned. Did I overlook them?

1 hour ago, Chawls said:

I didn’t see Tulane mentioned. Did I overlook them?

Uni-Watch shared Tulane's uniforms yesterday, two days after this published. I have to cut off updating it at some point.

On 8/26/2019 at 12:02 PM, Germanshepherd said:

6-C2573-C2-D93-F-4357-898-C-31-B8601-D9-

New look for Wake Forest. Really sad to see them go away from one of the most unique and creative sleeve patterns in college football. 

I mean,  I get it, its basic, it's functional, it's not bad by any means--and finally, a team brings bevel block numbers, hadn't seen those since Illinois in the Kurt Kittner days and Minnesota during the days of Marion Barber III and Asad Abdul-Khaliq (at least I think Minnesota had them then). But man...Wake really had something there with the architectural pattern thing, but after reading @andrewharrington's explanation concerning the manufacturing process--chiefly the cost, and in this instance for a program that really doesn't give Nike much ROI on the field--I guess I can see why Wake went away from that. And as much as I get on Nike about the opposing-corners thing with their numbers, Wake's 18/34 version was by far my favorite rendition. Hate to see them go, but I'm cool with what they have now. 

It's almost like the spirit of Darrel Royal is slowly creeping through CFB aesthetics...and that may not be such a bad thing. 😁

16 hours ago, dont care said:

But still you don’t see the same problems from teams that order Nike, or UA uniforms. It is just an adidas problem. None of this explains why adidas can’t do the same thing as the other manufacturers other than them being to cheap to care.

Nike and UA often limit their options, forcing teams to choose something else, rather than offer them a truncated version of something.. if you go to Nike's online team uniform configurator, it won't allow you to put anything on the sleeves of a stock football uniform whatsoever.. so this would imply that Nike has the same problem, they just don't let you know it..

1 minute ago, WavePunter said:

Nike and UA often limit their options, forcing teams to choose something else, rather than offer them a truncated version of something.. if you go to Nike's online team uniform configurator, it won't allow you to put anything on the sleeves of a stock football uniform whatsoever.. so this would imply that Nike has the same problem, they just don't let you know it..

Nike's stock unis are at least $50 cheaper than adidas' PrimeKnit unis though, too. adidas is selling theirs for $140; Nike has stock Vapor Untouchable for $90.