Because I don't feel like copying and pasting the same thing I said on Twitter

5 minutes ago, henburg said:

It's pretty clear that sports uniform discussion is super repetitive, no matter what the platform is. I mean seriously, I bet if you documented the discussion surrounding the Cleveland Browns just on this website, you would be able to prove that without a doubt. 

The thing is Oregon utterly destroyed their core brand in the name of being "different," and got nothing out of it. 

All that talk about champions "not being followers but being innovators" or whatever crap they put out when they thought they'd beat Auburn and they don't have a national title. They've made it to two of those games, opted to forgo anything resembling the University of Oregon's brand in both, and lost to teams wearing traditional uniforms in both. 

Now they're stuck in a situation where everyone else in college football has caught up. Oregon's uniforms are no longer shocking or innovative. It's just more of the same in a sea of similar reveals. Nothing stands out as particularly new anymore. 

So now Oregon has no unique spot in the marketplace, they have no titles to justify their grandiose opinion of themselves, and they're left with a reputation as the school that would rather have "outfits" than uniforms. 

They did it all to themselves. Considering the deluge of uninspired dreck they unleashed on college football aesthetics? They deserve all the mockery that comes their way. 

37 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Finally!  This may be the greatest day in football uniform history. I'm pretty sure it squeaks past the day two years or so ago when UCLA proved you absolutely can do real shoulder loops on a modern cut and everyone had to STFU about how it "just can't work".

To what are you referring? Their regular jerseys? IMO shoulder loops, even old ones, has never really looked good BUT that doesn't diminish your point, it's just personal taste.

3 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

To what are you referring? Their regular jerseys? IMO shoulder loops, even old ones, has never really looked good BUT that doesn't diminish your point, it's just personal taste.

I think he means the long sleeve jerseys.

4 hours ago, Clintau24 said:

It's the same in the *fire emoji* camps as the "uniforms don't decide football games" side of things. That's why I enjoy this forum, there's actually discussion and conversations about things. Out there, it doesn't happen that way.

And I feel it will continue until the uniform bubble pops. It's bound to happen at some point.

Of course. It's more than fine if you feel that way, it's just how you deliver it. I just wish people explained their rationale more sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The thing is Oregon utterly destroyed their core brand in the name of being "different," and got nothing out of it. 

All that talk about champions "not being followers but being innovators" or whatever crap they put out when they thought they'd beat Auburn and they don't have a national title. They've made it to two of those games, opted to forgo anything resembling the University of Oregon's brand in both, and lost to teams wearing traditional uniforms in both. 

Now they're stuck in a situation where everyone else in college football has caught up. Oregon's uniforms are no longer shocking or innovative. It's just more of the same in a sea of similar reveals. Nothing stands out as particularly new anymore. 

So now Oregon has no unique spot in the marketplace, they have no titles to justify their grandiose opinion of themselves, and they're left with a reputation as the school that would rather have "outfits" than uniforms. 

They did it all to themselves. Considering the deluge of uninspired dreck they unleashed on college football aesthetics? They deserve all the mockery that comes their way. 

I get where you're coming from, and agree on many points. I think that there have been instances over the years where Oregon tried way too hard and lost their way. The Alamo Bowl uniform set, the Puddles cosplay, and the Webfoots uniforms immediately come to mind for me. I also definitely agree that Oregon's looks are far less shocking now due to other schools adopting their trends. I still remember the total disbelief I felt with that neon set for the Championship in 2011, yet I wouldn't even bat an eye to it in 2019. 

The place where I disagree is the bolded part. That is Oregon's brand now, and it has been for more than a long time now. The old green and yellow throwbacks are pretty uniforms, but Oregon was irrelevant while wearing them. Then, they start getting that Phil Knight money and things really turned around for them. They now attract top recruits, contend annually, and are one of the more popular college football teams in the entire country, known for their unique uniforms. You point out that they lost two championships to traditional schools, but I'd argue that they never would have even made it there without that innovative look and attitude.

My point being, they didn't destroy their brand. They actually built up a new brand that is the strongest that it ever has been in the school's history. You could argue for more consistency within that framework, but I think that reverting to a throwback look would actually destroy this new, much more renowned brand that they've successfully built up for the past two decades. It may not stick out quite as much as it did 10 years ago, but it's still a fact that they are known for it as evidenced by the dumb jokes. I mean at the end of the day, all uniforms are outfits fellas.

UCLA's rockin' gold facemasks tonight (with normal gold helmets). Different, but not awful - edit - the more I watched this game, the more I liked it. 

^Not awful, but still not nearly as good as the traditional grey masks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I like Cincinnati's custom stripe pattern, I just don't like the way they use it. I personally think it could be really sharp utilized in a more traditional way. Straight down the sides of the pants and/or straight across the sleeve caps.

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I like it. Think they'll break out a blue facemask sometime this season?

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Finally!  This may be the greatest day in football uniform history. I'm pretty sure it squeaks past the day two years or so ago when UCLA proved you absolutely can do real shoulder loops on a modern cut and everyone had to STFU about how it "just can't work".  The only bad side of this is that it came from a team without sleeve stripes.  I hope tOSU gets right on their version ASAP.

spacer.png

Nike should do it for the big game. Michigan and OSU throwbacks with long sleeves

35 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Those are a 1,000,000x better!!! Upgrade!!! 

Cincinnati's throwback uniforms showcased the 150 patch on the jersey, but the primaries won't have it, apparently. 150 decal on back of helmet however.

48 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm surprised at how good that looks. Blue facemasks would still be better, though.

I hope this isn’t a new trend. Clemson has the 150 logo on the 50 marker for the field. 

So its 10-20-30-40-150-40-30-20-10. Nicely done Clemson. 

Absolutely out of place and stupid. 

spacer.png

42 minutes ago, MattMill said:

I hope this isn’t a new trend. Clemson has the 150 logo on the 50 marker for the field. 

spacer.png

This will probably be the case for all the grass fields. 

51 minutes ago, MattMill said:

The Miami-Florida game had the same thing in Orlando. 

It's not bad...everyone knows it's the 50.

....and BYU has the 150 logo at the 50 yard line as well. 

I don't know if BYU has officially ditched the navy blue...but they always look best in royal. Great looking game. 

57 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Well only if you're a complete moron. The "1" is smaller than the "50." 

If you didn't think this was going to happen all over college football this year, you're not paying attention. Who cares. Watch the game. It's not that bad. Stop the hysterics.