Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

The Miami-Florida game had the same thing in Orlando. 

 

It's not bad...everyone knows it's the 50.

 

....and BYU has the 150 logo at the 50 yard line as well. 

 

I don't know if BYU has officially ditched the navy blue...but they always look best in royal. Great looking game. 

100% agree on BYU in royal. By far the superior option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, henburg said:

The place where I disagree is the bolded part. That is Oregon's brand now, and it has been for more than a long time now.

Oregon's "brand" is practically meaningless if every two-bit school decides to follow them in being "innovators." 

 

4 hours ago, henburg said:

You point out that they lost two championships to traditional schools, but I'd argue that they never would have even made it there without that innovative look and attitude.

That's arguable, but the fact is they talk their own supposed brilliance up far too much for a program that hasn't won anything. 

One of the funniest things to come out of this Oregon sideshow was a giant sign that said "champions don't follow trends" or something to that effect that they had to keep confined to their practice facility because they ended up losing to Auburn. A team whose look is so traditional meekly tweaking the logo to a point where most people wouldn't notice has parts of the fandom up in arms. 

 

So to me the "champions don't follow, they innovate" mantra you claim "is" the Oregon brand is one of hilarious self-delusion. A program chasing trends and thinking itself innovators, despite never winning anything and not even innovating that much. 

 

4 hours ago, henburg said:

but I think that reverting to a throwback look would actually destroy this new, much more renowned brand that they've successfully built up for the past two decades.

If Oregon's brand is to do the unexpected as you claim it is? Then full-time throwbacks is the last place they can go that would actually be unexpected. Nothing else they could do would be "innovative" at this point. 

 

4 hours ago, henburg said:

but it's still a fact that they are known for it as evidenced by the dumb jokes. I mean at the end of the day, all uniforms are outfits fellas.

On the jokes...again, Oregon brought it on themselves. 

 

As for uniforms being outfits? If that were true Oregon fans wouldn't get so testy when you say that 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Predictably, the Beavers will debut their new set by wearing all-black tomorrow night:

spacer.png

It still drives me crazy that the swooshes on the black jerseys and pants don’t match. Really not sure how they missed that detail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JkChKH3.jpg

This just looks bad. The logo is all that should ever be used on the helmets. And why put numbers on if you can't read them clearly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Minus the lame oar stuff this is by far my favorite look for the Gophers

 

rashod-bateman-of-the-minnesota-gophers-

The helmet stripe is no longer an oar so that's a major improvement as well. I'm surprised they're still using an older template though. I could have sworn a gold jersey was part of the rebrand, but I guess I was wrong. 

South Dakota State v Minnesota : News Photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, upperV03 said:

^Not awful, but still not nearly as good as the traditional grey masks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

As others have stated, the gold mask doesn't look bad. I just wish that UA would give UCLA a similar number font to Clarendon, at least if they can't obtain the exact font. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Oregon's "brand" is practically meaningless if every two-bit school decides to follow them in being "innovators." 

 

I'd say the fact that all of these other schools are trying to capture that same excitement speaks more to the value of their brand than anything else. Not just rinky-dink schools either, very legitimate, storied programs. I mean, Michigan State is wearing those lime green monstrosities just to ride that wave.

 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

That's arguable, but the fact is they talk their own supposed brilliance up far too much for a program that hasn't won anything. 

One of the funniest things to come out of this Oregon sideshow was a giant sign that said "champions don't follow trends" or something to that effect that they had to keep confined to their practice facility because they ended up losing to Auburn. A team whose look is so traditional meekly tweaking the logo to a point where most people wouldn't notice has parts of the fandom up in arms. 

 

So to me the "champions don't follow, they innovate" mantra you claim "is" the Oregon brand is one of hilarious self-delusion. A program chasing trends and thinking itself innovators, despite never winning anything and not even innovating that much. 

 

You live by it, you die by it. 🤷‍♂️

 

That mantra has gotten them way farther than they've ever been before. It's also hard to compare a still relatively new contender like Oregon to a historic powerhouse like Auburn. I mean Oregon had to completely revitalize their facilities and infrastructure just to compete, whereas Auburn had the luxury of legacy and name recognition. 

 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

If Oregon's brand is to do the unexpected as you claim it is? Then full-time throwbacks is the last place they can go that would actually be unexpected. Nothing else they could do would be "innovative" at this point. 

 

I'd say it's more about cutting-edge tech and experimentation than going for the unexpected, although that is definitely still a part of it. If you think about it, they also did kinda revert to some of those older elements with the recent emphasis on Apple Green and Yellow. That said, Rutgers is wearing sleeved jerseys this year, so they will always find something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, henburg said:

 I'd say it's more about cutting-edge tech and experimentation than going for the unexpected, although that is definitely still a part of it.

My point is there's nothing left to do. There was a tweet earlier about the Ducks unveiling an all-new helmet. Ok? They've already had chrome, green, black, white, grey, helmets with ghost flames, throwback helmets, carbon fibre helmets, glow in the dark helmets, helmets with every finish possible, helmets with wings, helmets with the O on the sides, helmets with the O on the front, and probably a few more I've forgotten. 

I don't doubt the new Oregon helmets will be "never before seen" but it literally cannot shock or innovate. Not unless they've got LEDs or something. 

Otherwise? They're just going to be another trendy college football helmet in a sea of trendy college football helmets. 

 

21 minutes ago, henburg said:

I'd say the fact that all of these other schools are trying to capture that same excitement speaks more to the value of their brand than anything else. Not just rinky-dink schools either, very legitimate, storied programs. I mean, Michigan State is wearing those lime green monstrosities just to ride that wave.

That's the problem though. Is Oregon unique if everyone else is Oregon? These days schools like Alabama and Auburn stand out because they don't have whacky uniforms. 

Sure, it's Oregon's brand, but when everyone else does the same thing? It doesn't stand out for them. They're just another school with multiple grey and black unis and helmets. 

 

The bad thing for them is that they've maintained the reputation while losing their uniqueness. So they get mocked for their "outfits" and "1,000,000 uni combinations and 0 titles" despite not even being the only school to engage in this nonsense these days. 

Sometimes being a trendsetter has its drawbacks. 

 

21 minutes ago, henburg said:

That mantra has gotten them way farther than they've ever been before. It's also hard to compare a still relatively new contender like Oregon to a historic powerhouse like Auburn. I mean Oregon had to completely revitalize their facilities and infrastructure just to compete, whereas Auburn had the luxury of legacy and name recognition. 

 

I don't care to re-litigate the 2010 National Championship because both teams settled that on the field. 

What I will say is that the arrogance Oregon showed, regarding their "inevitable" victory and fans of "modern" uniforms who insisted Oregon represented an "evolution" of design got shut up hard by a program that can't even tweak a UA logo without backlash from the faithful. 

 

And ultimately that's my point. You can't claim that you represent the future, that your way trumps tradition, and hold that high opinion of yourself if you don't win it all. At that point it comes off as undeserved. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

My point is there's nothing left to do. There was a tweet earlier about the Ducks unveiling an all-new helmet. Ok? They've already had chrome, green, black, white, grey, helmets with ghost flames, throwback helmets, carbon fibre helmets, glow in the dark helmets, helmets with every finish possible, helmets with wings, helmets with the O on the sides, helmets with the O on the front, and probably a few more I've forgotten. 

I don't doubt the new Oregon helmets will be "never before seen" but it literally cannot shock or innovate. Not unless they've got LEDs or something. 

Otherwise? They're just going to be another trendy college football helmet in a sea of trendy college football helmets. 

Supposedly that video about a “new, never before seen” helmet was a joke and there will not be a new helmet unveiled. 

 

But anyways, carry on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

JkChKH3.jpg

This just looks bad. The logo is all that should ever be used on the helmets. And why put numbers on if you can't read them clearly. 

I agree 3000, Bama should only have numbers, and possibly Penn St. Looks like a high school team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Minus the lame oar stuff this is by far my favorite look for the Gophers

 

rashod-bateman-of-the-minnesota-gophers-

 

I’m still awed at the stupidity of the maroon jerseys with white numbers. Yellow numbers would make the maroon jersey a billion times better. That helmet is pretty cool though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Supposedly that video about a “new, never before seen” helmet was a joke and there will not be a new helmet unveiled. 

 

But anyways, carry on. 

How do you know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

I'm about to head to my first ever college football game as a student and they're rocking these beauts 

 

 

That's one thing about ASU. The home opener is always G/M/G. 

 

Enjoy those games. Nothing beats the ASU student section on game days. I miss that more than anything about ASU. Fork Em. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JellyKs said:

How do you know?

The guy who made the video responded to someone and said as much on IG:

spacer.png

Plus there have been a few people on twitter saying the same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

JkChKH3.jpg

This just looks bad. The logo is all that should ever be used on the helmets. And why put numbers on if you can't read them clearly. 

My word. “Flash Fast” on the pants is terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're actually worse than the grey uniforms. Same template but thus hold is too washed out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 3:17 PM, WSU151 said:

 

I'm pretty sure (like 99.999999999%) every college football jersey sleeve is wider than 5.5 inches when laid flat. So again, adidas has artificially limited the size of the stripes. 

 

You’re probably right if you’re talking about a replica jersey with actual sleeves that you can lay flat, but game jerseys don’t have that.

 

spacer.png

 

Picture a semicircle that’s 8 in. across (roughly a semicircle, of course, and admittedly, I don’t know exactly how wide the sleeve panel is, so this is just an estimate). Now, you have to find a rectangle that you can comfortably fit within that semicircle, on all sizes of the garment.

 

If your stripe is 1 in. thick (much thinner than most football stripe designs), you can theoretically get 7 in. of width. If your stripe is 2 in. thick (still pretty thin, but closer to normal), you can get 6 in. If your stripe is 3 in. thick (pretty typical for a football jersey), you can only get about 4 in. wide

 

If we’re a little more hopeful and estimate the sleeve panel is a 10 in. semicircle (this honestly sounds a bit generous to me, but I could see the larger sizes being this big), then your absolute max. width for 1, 2, and 3 inch thick stripes is 9 in., 8.25 in., and 7 in., respectively. Because you have to make the same print/transfer process work for all sizes of stripe and garment, something like 2.5 in. x 5 in. is the area you have to work with.

 

You might be able to get a little better result building a custom platen that’s shaped more like the panel, but setting up a tailored process like that can cost tens of thousands of dollars. There’s simply no way to decorate seam-to-seam on a pre-constructed garment. You’re always going to be limited by the shape and size of your application equipment and/or your garment, no matter who you are. If you’re seeing seam-to-seam decoration from other places, it’s almost certainly a custom piece at that point.

 

On 8/28/2019 at 7:53 AM, WSU151 said:

 

Nike's stock unis are at least $50 cheaper than adidas' PrimeKnit unis though, too. adidas is selling theirs for $140; Nike has stock Vapor Untouchable for $90. 

 

True, but there’s a trade off. There’s no option to add any stripe designs to the sleeves of the stock, pre-constructed Vapor Untouchable jersey. Your only option is adding lettering and numbers. I’m not even sure if you can add your logo or not (@WavePunter or @Volt can probably give you better insight on this from the customer side of things).

 

Even the custom option only offers two different stripe options (last I checked, there was an LSU-style shoulder insert, a hazard/warning stripe design, and a plain, no-stripe option). You have more options to change the panel colors here if you want a contrast collar or sleeves or something, but now you’re at $175-$200 per jersey, and it’s not decorating a pre-constructed jersey. It’s cutting and sewing custom jerseys, which, as I noted previously, is a completely different process with a much longer production timeline.

 

In contrast, you can pick your design elements, hand over your roster, and theoretically have a full set of pre-constructed stock jerseys decorated in weeks as opposed to months.

 

Basically, everyone is going to have a different process with different strengths and weaknesses. You might be able to get a really clean, simple, professional looking stock jersey from one place, but you lose most of your customization options. Similarly, if you want a lot of customization options, you’re either going to sacrifice on the look, or you’re going to have to bite the bullet on price. There’s no perfect solution, and that’s just the nature of the beast with large-scale manufacturing of custom consumer goods.

 

It’s like the old design cliché: I offer fast, cheap, and good design, but you can only pick two of the three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ducks are going with the dark green/white/dark green combo against Auburn:

I have to say that I absolutely love this combo, but I do think some apple green and/or yellow would’ve been a better choice to contrast Auburn’s navy home set. Still, this is a fantastic combo for the Ducks and it still should be a pretty good looking matchup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

The Ducks are going with the dark green/white/dark green combo against Auburn:

 

What I anticipated. I think it's a clean look and will enjoy seeing the stark color contrast between them and Auburn's navy tops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.