Rutgers has, for years, angled the helmet Rs downward (giving the R a down-slope look) for some odd reason. The helmets would look so much better if the Rs were properly aligned. It's more obvious on some helmets than on others. 

Good look at the Ducks’ dark green helmets from today’s walkthrough practice:

spacer.png

Man I really love these helmets. The base color is definitely more of a dark olive green color, but the finish on the wings is absolutely fantastic and very reminiscent of the early 2000’s mallard finish helmets. This shot also confirms the fact that the helmets will have the yellow ‘O’ decals and bumper logos for tomorrow’s game instead of the white that was shown in the promo shots. And this shot also gives a good look at the dark green cleats that the players will be wearing tomorrow.

53 minutes ago, PosterNutbag said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Pokes going all white with a beautiful brand helmet with orange mask.

OSU vs OSU

That's all I need on the helmet. Don't need a badge. Don't need giant chrome Robo Pistol Pete

Did kind of like matte black and white thoughspacer.png

As for full bodied Pete...as iconic as this mascot is for me this just seems like it's too detailed and busy to go on a helmet. From a distance it's a bit tough to make out

spacer.png

I would've liked to see more orange in this match up. And what happened to those beautiful black satin helmets Oregon State had? 

1 hour ago, j'villejags said:

I would've liked to see more orange in this match up. And what happened to those beautiful black satin helmets Oregon State had? 

Yeah the change from satin to matte is a downgrade for Oregon State. 

20 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

True, but there’s a trade off. There’s no option to add any stripe designs to the sleeves of the stock, pre-constructed Vapor Untouchable jersey. Your only option is adding lettering and numbers. I’m not even sure if you can add your logo or not (@WavePunter or @Volt can probably give you better insight on this from the customer side of things).

Even the custom option only offers two different stripe options (last I checked, there was an LSU-style shoulder insert, a hazard/warning stripe design, and a plain, no-stripe option). You have more options to change the panel colors here if you want a contrast collar or sleeves or something, but now you’re at $175-$200 per jersey, and it’s not decorating a pre-constructed jersey. It’s cutting and sewing custom jerseys, which, as I noted previously, is a completely different process with a much longer production timeline.

In contrast, you can pick your design elements, hand over your roster, and theoretically have a full set of pre-constructed stock jerseys decorated in weeks as opposed to months.

Basically, everyone is going to have a different process with different strengths and weaknesses. You might be able to get a really clean, simple, professional looking stock jersey from one place, but you lose most of your customization options. Similarly, if you want a lot of customization options, you’re either going to sacrifice on the look, or you’re going to have to bite the bullet on price. There’s no perfect solution, and that’s just the nature of the beast with large-scale manufacturing of custom consumer goods.

It’s like the old design cliché: I offer fast, cheap, and good design, but you can only pick two of the three.

Jumping into the middle of this conversation only because I'm tagged so I don't know the entire scope of the discussion, but I can confirm for @andrewharrington that you cannot add seam-to-seam sleeve stripes to any Stock, pre-constructed jersey. You can add either twill, embroidery, screen print, or heat press decoration elements but you won't be able to go seam-to-seam as you would on a custom piece.  So, team names, front/back/TV numbers, or sleeve/shoulder logos are all possible, they're just being done by hand, per piece, on a press or machine, in limited locations on a pre-constructed garment.

The Custom uniforms actually offer quite a bit of options for the sleeves, ranging from LSU-stripes (technically a separate template & SKU) to 6 or 7 different screen printed or sublimated stripe patterns (including styles that match the Chiefs, Steelers, Packers, Bills, and Cowboys), to now even 7 different sublimated sleeve cap patterns:  Checkers (Kentucky), Warrior (Michigan State), Wings (Oregon-esque), Tiger, Speed Fury Camo, Woodland Camo, and Chainmaille.  A newer, separate VU template offers the Hazard stripe, which has been unpopular, and for good reason. 

You can obviously also go plain, add a custom sublimated patch logo, or place TV numbers on the sleeve cap rather than the shoulders.  Custom is also the only way you can alter the color of the sleeve band. 

There are other options available in the Nike Team line now, too, such as the ability to add a custom line of text inside the neck band (a la Carolina'a "KEEP POUNDING") that would be impossible to add on a stock jersey. 

Nike is also now offering several team name sizes & applications, as well as numerous new number applications; previously, you were limited to screen print, standard heavyweight twill, lightweight stretch twill, or sublimated lightweight stretch twill; now, there are options for perforated twill, kiss cut twill, satin twill, and reflective twill or reflective twill outline, so they continue to provide a multitude of design possibilities.  The recently added All League font is a beautifully clean, traditional font that looks great in 1-color or with a double outline.

Unlike UA, they are now offering 10" front and 12" back numbers, whereas previously it was always 8" front, 10" back, which is a nice size for junior high or youth, but not for high school or college.  The options remain to add homeplate patches, custom patches, patch Swoosh instead of embroidered, names on back and through a longer and more tedious process custom colors or name/number fonts are possibilities.  

And yes, the retail or build price goes up greatly, easily ranging from $275-300 for a well-designed Vapor Untouchable Jersey, with the pants coming in around $125-135.  Dealers & teams enjoy or employ discounts ranging from 20-40% though, and occasionally Nike will offer a Buy One, Get One, typically to compete with a desperate offer from Adidas to crack into the account.  And though people like @Ice_Cap like to be cute online tough guys and point out the Nike mark that I am (it's also my job), I've never lost in a situation where I could put a Nike uniform sample in the hands of a coach to compare to the Adidas sample in his other.  Coaches immediately feel & see the difference, and the players react to the difference immediately.

So yes, you can get a very quality Stock jersey and have a professional twill decorator add team name, home plate patch, numbers (usually in limited fonts before a fee, and usually in standard twill before a fee to get to lightweight), even custom sleeve logos, but you're not going to be able to change the structural elements and colors or add seam-to-seam elements, such as sleeve stripes.  The upside is that you can turn or replace them quickly - if they're on the shelf, they'll ship during off-peak seasons in as little as 2 days blank to a stateside decorator - and can be turned around in a few days to a few weeks.  Custom cut & sew, as pointed out, is typically a 3-4 month process as they're constructed overseas and take 2-3 weeks to clear Customs at the port.  We begin taking orders in November/December, can officially enter orders for new templates in January, stop taking orders no later than May 1, and see delivery starting in May-August.  Many a poorly organized coach calls us in July and says, "hey, i need new uniformz," and we have to say, "Okay coach, you ignored our advice to order in January, see these are your very limited options."

Nike also has, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best 3D uniform builder on NikeTeam.com, versus what UA and Adidas offer, making it much easier to build your uniform.  UA uses the Alleson Athletic uniform/apparel builder, with Stock orders sent to Alleson production (who manufactures UA's stock uniiforms) and Custom builds sent to Powers.  Neither or customer or dealer friendly.  

So, I don't know how this topic started, but there's a little bit of educational material for people not familiar with the process. 

13 hours ago, PosterNutbag said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
Pokes going all white with a beautiful brand helmet with orange mask.

Beautiful.  I could do without the paisley neckband and team name on the pants, but otherwise this is very nice.  

As far as Oregon State goes, they've continued to go backwards with their uniforms.  Give me these two helmets and work back simply from there and they'd be set:

Image result for oklahoma state football

Image result for oregon state football helmet

I know it’s Oregon doing its own thing. But imagine that dark shell with the bright yellow O on the side of the helmet. You’d have a winner

From a general viewing distance, the Oregon helmet simply comes off as all black. The wing details are never ever present for 95% of the viewing public. 

21 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

I can't wait until PJ Fleck moves on to a school that puts their foot down and tells him that his own personal branding isn't more important than the school's.

He's going to rename the team the Minnesota Golden Oarsmen 

White over gray vs. gray over gray is not a great look when it comes to contrast.

Observation from channel flipping between two games.

Maryland vs Howard: Maryland is wearing those airbrushed flag helmets. Disappointing after seeing the white helmets with flag stripes they wore in their spring game. Howard's white uniforms have light gray stripes on them which can barely be seen at a distance. Howard's helmets are actually pretty nice.

Memphis vs Ole Miss: Memphis is gray over gray versus Ole Miss in white over gray. Gawdam you Memphis! In addition to that, Memphis appeared to have altered the tiger stripes on their helmets so they're not a total ripoff of the Cincinnati Bengals' helmets.

Video with some more looks at today’s Oregon combo:

The more I see of these, the sharper I think they look. The finish on the helmet wings is fantastic, and the iridescent numbers is an element that I’m ecstatic to see return. I’m really excited to see this combo on the field tonight.

Kentucky really ought to back to the big K on the helmets. The UK mark is pretty muddled. Blue/blue/white is a good look for a team that likes chrome and black, though. 

Iowa State is killing me right now with those plain white pants. Ugh!