College Football 2019

29texan

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new number font and striping pattern pays tribute to Pittsburgh’s Cathedral of Learning, a historic landmark and centerpiece of the university, while the new secondary logo is based on the fountain at the entrance of the building.

spacer.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Pitt uploaded the new branding guidelines to their site: https://pitt.app.box.com/s/ogafdjlum9shi4euxlqrww1pnegfqa4x

Couple interesting points regarding the font. They actually created two versions! The first is the primary, based on the interior cathedrial arching of a campus building. The second is the alternate with traditional sizing. I think if they went with the alternate only, this would be a homerun no doubt.

sYYHpKG.png

v7tSMfE.png

As for the alignment of the characters, any character with the arching point will indeed sit higher. They don't use the point as the top of the character itself.

3BwE7mJ.png

Finally, the stripe is designed so that if it's used on two sides, like athletic shorts shown here, the lighter side will face light, and dark will face dark

tyDMC43.png

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

3 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

I’ll be that guy and say that I don’t really like Pitt in royal blue and yellow. The new number font and sublimation feel very kitschy. It cheapens the whole look. The throwbacks were fine but the yellow should be more mustardy, like the Marino years.

Navy and gold feels more like Pitt to me. I didn’t have any problem with their previous set aside from the gap outline on the numbers. I even liked the navy helmets. I think if they wanted to change things up, navy and mustard was the way to go.

Mustard looks worse than athletic gold so I'd say this was the better option. Only use it if it's a true throwback. I'd have preferred they kept sleeve stripes but this isn't too bad.  The number angles could be problematic for wider numbers on the big uglies so I'm still not convinced on those quite yet. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Nike/Pitt knocked this upgrade almost out of the park. I like the new font, but it does look a tad gimmicky, 8.5/10, not much too improve on and creates a look for Pitt that they can use for a long time.

a2BRS8U.png

8 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Looks great. Is it just me though, or is the 9 taller than the 1 on the home jersey?

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Looks to be the opposite to me.

The 9 is most definitely taller. It's pretty common in typography with rounded letters and numbers, the rounded characters (S, O, 9, etc) are made slightly taller than flat characters (I, H, 1) it's an optical correction to make the letters look visually proportionate in height to one another, they're called overshoots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overshoot_(typography)

14 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I'm kind of surprised they went with yellow numbers instead of white on the blue jerseys (we see on the throwbacks). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I can dig it. Looks like next time I head to my old stomping grounds some retailer's gonna be getting some $ outta me. (Which is all good, because there's no sales tax on clothing in PA...)

I could really go in and pick that Cathedral font apart (I wonder if that's the actual name of it), but I'll leave that for either @MEANS's or @andrewharrington's far more discerning eyeballs to do; for now I'll just say l like what they were going for but they can stand to be thinned out a good bit.

Overall, I love that now all of Pitt athletics is under a unified brand. It'll be interesting to see how quick and how much this look makes it out onto the streets next time I'm up there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, Buc said:

I can dig it. Looks like next time I head to my old stomping grounds some retailer's gonna be getting some $ outta me. (Which is all good, because there's no sales tax on clothing in PA...)

I could really go in and pick that Cathedral font apart (I wonder if that's the actual name of it), but I'll leave that for either @MEANS's or @andrewharrington's far more discerning eyeballs to do; for now I'll just say l like what they were going for but they can stand to be thinned out a good bit.

Overall, I love that now all of Pitt athletics is under a unified brand. It'll be interesting to see how quick and how much this look makes it out onto the streets next time I'm up there.

The grand opening of an on-campus Nike Store was part of yesterday's activities, they had new apparel on sale at the store and online. 

As a Pitt fan I really love what they've done with all of the uniforms and the apparel I've seen so far. Looking back it's so amazing how badly former AD's Steve Pederson, Jeff Long and Scott Barnes screwed things up when it came to uniforms, uniform roll outs, merchandise and tons of other things, newish AD Heather Lyke really nailed this and should get major props.

3 hours ago, Buc said:

I could really go in and pick that Cathedral font apart (I wonder if that's the actual name of it)

Per the branding guidelines, the two fonts are named Cathedral Font and Alternate Cathedral Font 

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I think this is a pretty good update for them.  Too many teams use navy and metallic gold so Pitt going to royal and athletic gold is a more unique look.  Not the biggest fan of having two separate fonts but whatever.

Love all the campus-inspired imagery and patterns, love the move to bring back fan-requested colors, love blue and yellow (retro Brewers, retro Mariners, Rams, etc) in sports design. I get the inspiration behind the panther head logo, but not a fan of what the final product came to be. Odd shape throws it off. 

BannerLogos.jpg

SF4.gif

On 4/7/2019 at 4:40 PM, aawagner011 said:

I can live with the color switch, even though it's not my favorite. I wish they kept the sleeve stripes from the now previous uniforms though . 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 4/7/2019 at 1:47 PM, Griffinmarlins said:

Looks great. Is it just me though, or is the 9 taller than the 1 on the home jersey?

The points of the arches overshoot the base line and top line. If the 9 were the same height as the 1, for example, it would look much too short.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 4/7/2019 at 3:40 PM, aawagner011 said:

The cathedral numbers look better from a distance. What an upgrade, I’m saying like 9.5 out of 10. About time someone got it right.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I think the new number font would go really well with the Baltimore Ravens’ identity. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Honestly, the only thing bugging me about the Pitt redesign is that the helmet and pants stripes have different outline widths. The helmet stripe outline should be a bit thicker to match. Otherwise, really nice redesign. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived