College Football 2019

29texan

On 6/9/2019 at 9:02 AM, Geoff said:

I love the colored fields. All of them. EWU, UCA, Coastal Carolina, Boise, all of them. 

The only thing bush league was when the MWC banned them from wearing all blue on a blue field while teams like Hawaii or Colorado State could theoretically wear all green on green fields (and have). When you objectively look at it, it's just arbitrary to have green turf simply because grass is green. Wood is shades of brown but we still have different colors of basketball courts. It's not bush league, you just don't like change.

It's not arbitrary; it's science. 

"Next there’s the limitations of those rods and cones in your eyes that let you see stuff along the color spectrum from red to green to blue. Human vision tends to perceive some colors—specifically those along the red and green spectrum—a lot better than other colors (like those along the blue). This is why we get grossed out when skin tones are reproduced too poorly on a TV or the green of grass seems unnaturally too green in an image. It’s also why we like displays with more blue in them—even when they’re inaccurately reproducing colors. We have more trouble seeing the blue so it is often more pleasing to our brains!

But because our eyes have more difficulty with colors along the blue spectrum, it can make matching the blocks with more blue in them more difficult. And if you have a color perception deficiency it will be even harder. X-Rite even claims that cismen tend to have more difficulty differentiating colors than ciswomen, with one out of every 255 women and one out of every 12 men having some kind of deficiency in color perception."

https://gizmodo.com/these-tests-will-tell-you-just-how-good-your-eyes-are-a-1826868420

http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/1G.html

26.jpg

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, coogrfan said:

It's not arbitrary; it's science. 

"Next there’s the limitations of those rods and cones in your eyes that let you see stuff along the color spectrum from red to green to blue. Human vision tends to perceive some colors—specifically those along the red and green spectrum—a lot better than other colors (like those along the blue). This is why we get grossed out when skin tones are reproduced too poorly on a TV or the green of grass seems unnaturally too green in an image. It’s also why we like displays with more blue in them—even when they’re inaccurately reproducing colors. We have more trouble seeing the blue so it is often more pleasing to our brains!

But because our eyes have more difficulty with colors along the blue spectrum, it can make matching the blocks with more blue in them more difficult. And if you have a color perception deficiency it will be even harder. X-Rite even claims that cismen tend to have more difficulty differentiating colors than ciswomen, with one out of every 255 women and one out of every 12 men having some kind of deficiency in color perception."

https://gizmodo.com/these-tests-will-tell-you-just-how-good-your-eyes-are-a-1826868420

http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/1G.html

26.jpg

I was actually going to post on this as well. The human eye's ability to more easily differentiate shades of green is one reason why you rarely hear complaints by players or fans about teams wearing all green on a green grass or turf field.

zE3CTreQUUa9ZQMzIK48iw

870159262-penn-state-v-michigan-state.jp

usatsi_10347607.jpg

20150912-8766-cm.jpg

usa-today-9017082.0.jpg

57f9b8a7eaa27.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

usa-today-8939134.0.jpg

5b947bec60bc1.image.jpg?resize=1200,980

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Also, the natural shade of most grass is more toward the yellow or brown side of green.  A lot of sports teams wear colors on the blue side of green, even going into teal.  

Few (if any) teams have worn a drab, brown-yellow shade of green that mimics natural grass.  And even artificial turf is generally more natural grass green in color. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

This was all very illuminating and helpful, but allow me sum it up...

Non-green football fields are ugly.

Scientifically-proven! Even if Boise had the best royal blue and orange uniforms in FBS, the field would render them hideous.

Boise State's field is also far too bright of a blue. If someone slid the saturation bar down to like 50% it would be much more tolerable. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

8 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Syracuse's athletic director was asked during today's press conference announcing the Orange's contract extension with Nike about new uniforms and told fans to "stay tuned" to next weekend's fan event. Expecting the team to ditch the number font and 44-degree angle slashes for a much more traditional look.

Just go back to the Donavan McNabb era uniforms and add S decals on the helmets this time. Done.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

To the best of my knowledge with the use of google it looks like Texas Tech UA deal expires at the end of next school year.

any word out there on an extension or negotiations?

and do you guys think another brand will try and hop in I.E. Adidas?

9 hours ago, Hambone792 said:

To the best of my knowledge with the use of google it looks like Texas Tech UA deal expires at the end of next school year.

any word out there on an extension or negotiations?

and do you guys think another brand will try and hop in I.E. Adidas?

I'm sure Adidas and Nike will both be in the running if Tech doesn't renew. Adidas would probably pay more though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/14/2019 at 3:45 PM, Mingjai said:

20150912-8766-cm.jpg

I'm amazed at how traditional Ohio's uniforms still are. I would've thought they would jump on the bandwagon of constantly modernizing their uniforms to bring in more recruits or something... since they aren't a big-time school.

1 hour ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I'm amazed at how traditional Ohio's uniforms still are. I would've thought they would jump on the bandwagon of constantly modernizing their uniforms to bring in more recruits or something... since they aren't a big-time school.

Solich is a pretty old school coach though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/14/2019 at 7:13 PM, pianoknight said:

Boise State's field is also far too bright of a blue. If someone slid the saturation bar down to like 50% it would be much more tolerable. 

Give it a year or two, the sun will take care of that. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

18 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Those aren’t their current uniforms. These are, though still a traditional striping pattern. 

28 minutes ago, Clintau24 said:

Colorado State celebrating 150 years of the school with a special white helmet

A little bland, but not awful. 

All white helmets have just been so overused at the college level that it's rather ho-hum when we see another one. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived