College Football 2019

29texan

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is that 68 on the back of the helmet athletic tape? Also, Jim Brown with the original Otto Graham facemask, I'd never seen that before. 

Brown's helmet stripe being white while his teammates have black is another interesting quirk.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

2 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Brown's helmet stripe being white while his teammates have black is another interesting quirk.

Still not as strange as Oregon who had different colored helmets in the 1960's for the best players of the previous week.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Still not as strange as Oregon who had different colored helmets in the 1960's for the best players of the previous week.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to bring this back. Different colors might be hard to get by NCAA rules but a different decal of some sort is something I could absolutely see them doing, like an extreme pride sticker.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

47 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

I'm surprised they haven't tried to bring this back. Different colors might be hard to get by NCAA rules but a different decal of some sort is something I could absolutely see them doing, like an extreme pride sticker.

Our "captains" are identified with a grey stripe on their helmets.. previously, other players had no stripe.. recently, everyone else's is red, while theirs is grey with red trim on either side..

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Not as wild as that, but Nevada's seniors used to have a stripe on their helmets for senior day. I think it was a Chris Ault thing.

12 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Didn't Georgia tech do something like this at one time with their "GT" decal?

On 6/23/2019 at 8:48 PM, mjd77 said:

If your athletic department is $41 million in debt, it's time to fold your non-competitive football program.  Is athletic department debt like that common?

Yes. They are not profitable organizations, outside of Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas, and a couple others. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

Oh, but let's pay the student-athletes!!!

(sorry, I'm done)

Well in a perfect system, it wouldn't be the actual athletic department paying out payments. It would be from letting some profit off their likeness (apparel deals, video game likeness, jersey sales, etc). A majority of players wouldn't generate massive revenue like that unless you are a big star. But then of course the question moves to what stops a booster from buying an excessive amount of merchandise and pooling money to certain players pockets. You could place limits but I'm sure they'd find a way around that. 

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

2 minutes ago, djam2410 said:

Well in a perfect system, it wouldn't be the actual athletic department paying out payments. It would be from letting some profit off their likeness (apparel deals, video game likeness, jersey sales, etc). A majority of players wouldn't generate massive revenue like that unless you are a big star. But then of course the question moves to what stops a booster from buying an excessive amount of merchandise and pooling money to certain players pockets. You could place limits but I'm sure they'd find a way around that. 

Somehow I could see the NCAA say boosters can only buy X amount of jerseys at the stadium and pretend that that's the thing keeping everyone on a level playing field. Meanwhile the booster bought twice the amount of jerseys at a Dick's Sporting Goods and dropped them off at the kid's old high school. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

41 minutes ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

(sorry, I'm done)

This could lead down an ugly rabbit hole, but most departments are in debt because they pay their coaches millions a year and spend hundreds of millions on the facilities arms race. They make enough money to pay players if they really wanted to. You just wouldn’t see crazy locker rooms, practice facilities and huge athletic department staffing

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

21 hours ago, Mingjai said:

Pretty much this. Trademark law absolutely applies here, but as you mention, in applying the law, there are issues as to whether any of the teams have a legally recognizable claim to a trade dress.

Good catch, bad choice of wording on my part. I should’ve said a trademark challenge likely wouldn’t be successful in this case. 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 6/22/2019 at 12:46 PM, TShaw528 said:

[Image: D9nMDi7VUAEsuFF.jpg]

New uniforms for W&M as they switch from Nike to UA

Interestingly enough, these are on two different templates. The white template looks to resemble the new UA template that Auburn showcased last week. It doesn't look to have the folder tabs like Auburn's on the chest, though.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

12 hours ago, Pizzaman7294 said:

(sorry, I'm done)

Ooof. You'll regret this take in time. If you want to hurry that along, research the origin of the term student-athlete.

11 hours ago, FALCON6 said:

I believe I've read that the only sports that profit are D1 football and basketball, for obvious reasons. Every other team is basically a cash drain.

It's hit or miss depending on the sport and which school. Hockey isn't a money maker everywhere, even perennial powers, but it is at some. Some baseball programs turn a profit. Some basketball programs lose money.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived