infrared41's Best and Worst - Season Finale NFL 2018

And just like that, it's week 17 and another regular season in the books. Week 17 gave us plenty to work with to put together a pretty strong Season Finale. For the best list, we had a few very nice matchups and a contender for game of the year. On the other side of the ledger, we have what I'm pretty sure is a first for the worst list. 

Before we move on to the lists, I want to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who followed and participated in the threads this season. It's been a lot of fun. I hope you all have enjoyed this thing as much as I have. 

As always, the lists are just my opinion. Your opinion may be different than mine and that's perfectly fine. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil and limited to discussing the uniforms. Let's set the DVR and get started with the Season Finale.

BEST:

1. Raiders - Chiefs: Simply one of the very best uniform match ups in the NFL. It's looked pretty much like this for over 50 years and it looks as great today as it did the first time it happened. Every game should look this good. This one is a serious contender for match up of the year. 

fUfBfUW.jpg

f0LfCK6.jpg

2. 49ers - Rams: I'm not the biggest fan of the Rams throwbacks, but under the right circumstances and in the right match up, they can look really, really good. This is one of those times. Great looking game. 

1nf7uha.jpg

XmbyFCs.jpgYnnUkkA.jpg

3. Lions - Packers: Shades of the old "Black and Blue" division. As I've said before, I didn't like the Lions new look when it debuted, but it has really grown on me. I'm still not crazy about the number font, but other than that, I think the road set is a really solid look. The Packers home uniform is in my top 5. Good looking match up.

o1GuCrw.jpg3Qd7wtA.jpg

4. Cowboys - Giants: Yet another match up that's been around for a very long time. Still looks pretty good to me. 

SVbTLey.jpg

5. Super Bowl Champion Eagles - Redskins: You know it's a good week when this one can only manage the #5 slot. 

6k6R98E.jpg

6. Bears - Vikings: My guess is I'm going to catch some flack for ranking this one 6th. In my defense, I simply liked the five games ahead of it better. 

0ywycNe.jpg

WORST:

1. Dolphins - Bills: This is a first. A match up that took the #1 slot on the best list is now in the top slot on the worst list. For those of you who think I don't pay enough attention to color match ups, you'll be happy to know that the colors are why this game took the top spot. In my opinion, these two uniforms look terrible together. The Dolphins pastel looks terrible matched up with the Bills blue monochrome. Yuck. Miami looks like a tube of toothpaste.

STYBBbW.jpg

2. Browns - Ravens: I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Ravens black over purple looks awful. Add in the Browns and those awful brown pants and here we are. Pretty ugly match up, if you ask me.

6iliE0P.jpg

3. Cardinals - Seahawks: Blue over gray or white would work so much better for the Seahawks. The Cardinals are wasting a great helmet. It's really time to ditch whatever it is those uniforms are supposed to be and go back the previous look. 

MUfiowv.jpg

4. Falcons - Bucs: When Atlanta's road uniforms are by far the best look on the field, we're in trouble. That said, Atlanta's road uniform is a few tweaks from looking good. That Bucs are just a trip to the dumpster and a new uniform from looking good. 

01lkpf7.jpg

And that, folks, is a wrap for the 2018 season. Thanks again for taking part. We'll do it all again next year. 

BB52Big.jpg

8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

3. Lions - Packers: Shades of the old "Black and Blue" division. As I've said before, I didn't like the Lions new look when it debuted, but it has really grown on me. I'm still not crazy about the number font, but other than that, I think the road set is a really solid look. The Packers home uniform is in my top 5. Good looking match up.

5. Super Bowl Champion Eagles - Redskins: You know it's a good week when this one can only manage the #5 slot. 

3.  The Lions road uniforms look much, much better with the silver(ish) pants than with the Honolulu Blue ones.

5.  The Eagles road uniforms look much, much better with the white pants than with the Midnight Green ones.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I agree with your list for the most part.  A really good week for uniform match-ups.  The Lions wearing the silver pants more or less as primaries, home and road, and saving the blue pants as a "special" has really vaulted them up my personal list.  The only places I'd differ with you is on the Giants/Cowboys and Eagles/Redskins.  I'm just OK on the Cowboys... there's some good (traditional template, nice helmet) and not so good (mismatched colors, although I don't get as bent about it as some), and the Giants will never get a thumbs up from me in those pointless white pants... the blue over gray is IMO the perfect NFL uniform and it kills me that they're not doing it. And as for the  Eagles/Redskins, I like Washington in the gold pants, but I am beyond bored with the dull and dingy Eagles look.  Dark green, dark gray and black. Depressing.

16 hours ago, infrared41 said:

2. Browns - Ravens: I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Ravens black over purple looks awful. Add in the Browns and those awful brown pants and here we are. Pretty ugly match up, if you ask me.

6iliE0P.jpg

The Browns in white over brown with the orange socks is the best look they have, this should be their default road look. It is 100 times better than the complete white ensemble they normally go with although I agree with you on the Ravens but an attempt to contrast their uniform elements is better than all black with yoga pants.   

zyyMk1d.png

Their purple pants would look better with either a solid black stripe or at least black in the middle and gold outside.  They shoudl just be darker.

Still not as good as their purple tops over solid-black bottoms.

EDIT:

I thought I'd like the SBCPE vs Washington game more, but while I prefer w/w for the SBCPE, the game would have looked better had they worn their "slow" green pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 hours ago, VikWings said:

I thought the Ravens looked great. But I hate black monochrome/yoga pants. And still prefer the black over white to both.

I like the purple over white, but black over white is pretty good too. 

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I like the purple over white, but black over white is pretty good too. 

I like them both, but I prefer the purple over white because I think of the Ravens as a purple team . . . if for no other reason then that they've had purple primary home jerseys for 23 seasons.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I think Jets-Colts from earlier in the year actually looked quite good. I'd put it above Skins/Eagles

cut.jpg

So would I if the Jets - Colts game had taken place this week. But it didn't and that makes it ineligible for this week's list. I don't have many rules for this thing, but one of them is the game has to be played in the week I'm rating for that game to be eligible for either list. 

BB52Big.jpg

8 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

So would I if the Jets - Colts game had taken place this week. But it didn't and that makes it ineligible for this week's list. I don't have many rules for this thing, but one of them is the game has to be played in the week I'm rating for that game to be eligible for either list. 

My bad. Thought this was a best of the entire 2018 season review. 

I can't agree with Detroit / Green Bay.  Detroit's tacky / trendy things just clash too much against Green Bay's classy set.  The "LIONS" wordmark that's clearly visible in one of the photos ruins it for me right off the bat, but the numbers also don't work for me.  I also don't love the thick stripe pattern, but can't deduct points for it in this case.  They do get a bit of a bonus point for wearing gray bottoms instead of their awful blue ones.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So many great divisional matchups this week!

I actually really like the Ravens black over purple look, it’s probably only second to their purple over black for me. Although it makes them look a bit like a purple version of the Steelers, I think it’d be a nice alternate to have a couple times a year.

This is a great list, though, and I’ve really enjoyed following these all year, @infrared41

2 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

My bad. Thought this was a best of the entire 2018 season review. 

That's my fault. Usually, I put the week number in the thread title. I can see where calling this week the "season finale" could throw people. I'll do my best and worst of the year sometime during the playoffs. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived