SportsLogos.Net News

Texas Rangers Bid Farewell to the Ballpark With Patch in 2019

Recommended Posts

Texas Rangers Bid Farewell to the Ballpark With Patch in 2019

January 2, 2019 - 15:59 PM

Yes, it’s true, the Texas Rangers are getting set to move into a brand new ballpark, but before they do, they’ll take a season to remember Arlington’s historic Globe Life Park In Arlington located in Arlington. Throughout the upcoming 2019 […]

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get why sports venues aren't lasting as long as they used to. Why waste money building new stadiums and demolishing old ones every 20 years when you can invest in proper workmanship and maintenance and have a place that will stand for at least 50 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, poor sports owners begging the public to fund their stadiums they don't even intend to keep around for much longer than 20 years. (I'm hoping their upcoming stadium was privately funded).

 

While I think it's ridiculous they need to have a new stadium already, the patch itself is fine. Pretty much what I expected it to look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Ah, poor sports owners begging the public to fund their stadiums they don't even intend to keep around for much longer than 20 years. (I'm hoping their upcoming stadium was privately funded).

 

While I think it's ridiculous they need to have a new stadium already, the patch itself is fine. Pretty much what I expected it to look like.

The City of Arlington issued $500 Million in bonds to help finance the stadium. They plan to use an increased sales tax, hotel tax, and rental car tax to help pay it off. The Rangers were threatening to move to Fort Worth if Arlington didnt help pay up. Hopefully this one lasts 50 years, but I doubt it as there is always a newer and shinier suburb in the area willing to lure a team away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s insane. I still think of that place as new, and I think it’s because it opened the same year as Jacobs Field. I couldn’t fathom the Jake being replaced for at least another 25 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

I don't get why sports venues aren't lasting as long as they used to. Why waste money building new stadiums and demolishing old ones every 20 years when you can invest in proper workmanship and maintenance and have a place that will stand for at least 50 years?

 

21 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Ah, poor sports owners begging the public to fund their stadiums they don't even intend to keep around for much longer than 20 years. (I'm hoping their upcoming stadium was privately funded).

 

While I think it's ridiculous they need to have a new stadium already, the patch itself is fine. Pretty much what I expected it to look like.

 

11 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s insane. I still think of that place as new, and I think it’s because it opened the same year as Jacobs Field. I couldn’t fathom the Jake being replaced for at least another 25 years.

 

Totally agree with this. I wasn't aware the Rangers were moving into (what?!) another ballpark. I looked up why and it's because the new ballpark will have a retractable roof. The Rangers' attendance was suffering due to constant rain delays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VancouverFan69 said:

 

 

 

Totally agree with this. I wasn't aware the Rangers were moving into (what?!) another ballpark. I looked up why and it's because the new ballpark will have a retractable roof. The Rangers' attendance was suffering due to constant rain delays.

Was that really the reason? Even Wimbledon stadium was able to get a retractable roof built, they didn't blow everything up and start over.

 

Time to move out of Dodger Stadium so the next one can have leather seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rain and heat were the major reasons, and I think adding a roof to a park as big and awkward as the Ballpark was incredibly expensive.

 

In essence, the Ballpark was beautiful, but poorly thought out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

 

 

 

Totally agree with this. I wasn't aware the Rangers were moving into (what?!) another ballpark. I looked up why and it's because the new ballpark will have a retractable roof. The Rangers' attendance was suffering due to constant rain delays.

 

It's not the rain delays, it's the heat. They never should have built the last place without a roof. I turned down tickets many times when I lived in DFW because it was too damn hot to sit outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

That’s insane. I still think of that place as new, and I think it’s because it opened the same year as Jacobs Field. I couldn’t fathom the Jake being replaced for at least another 25 years.

Yeah, I think Jacobs and Comiskey are in it for the long haul, partly because of renovations along the way and partly because I do not see any stomach to pay for replacing them.

 

10 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

In essence, the Ballpark was beautiful, but poorly thought out. 

Really? It was always my least favorite of the 1990s parks. The outfield with its wonky office building and the weird little roof over the right-field pavilion always looked ugly to me. As Camden Yards was inspired by urban warehouses, Ballpark in Arlington was inspired by suburban office campuses. Who wants to go to an office campus for a baseball game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how one team is ditching a 20 year old park and another (rays) would kill to be in it. Yes, I know the whole st. Pete vs Tampa argument, vacation destination etc, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Ballpark in Arlington was inspired by suburban office campuses. Who wants to go to an office campus for a baseball game?

 

That is the majority of the sights in the metroplex. Suburban office campuses and distribution/shipping warehouses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I'd put these here so the Mothership could use my PANTONE Digital Standards versions for the 1993 commemorative patch referenced in that article:

 

TexasRangers_CMM0100a_1993_SOLCOA_SRGB.p

 

TexasRangers_CMM0101a_1993_SOLCOA_SRGB.p

 

TexasRangers_CMM0102a_1993_SOLCOA_SRGB.p

 

TexasRangers_CMM0103a_1993_SOLCOA_SRGB.p

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Rain and heat were the major reasons, and I think adding a roof to a park as big and awkward as the Ballpark was incredibly expensive.

 

In essence, the Ballpark was beautiful, but poorly thought out. 

 

Maybe mlb baseball in the DFW metro is a poorly thought out and bad business proposition if it can't work without AC and a roof?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, guest23 said:

 

Maybe mlb baseball in the DFW is a poorly thought out and bad business proposition if it can't work without AC and a roof?

Maybe baseball is just a poorly thought out sport in general if they can't play in the rain and snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, PittsburghSucks said:

It's not the rain delays, it's the heat. They never should have built the last place without a roof. I turned down tickets many times when I lived in DFW because it was too damn hot to sit outside.

Why build a retractable roof at all then? Just build a roof.

 

Like, I know that sounds like a smart-ass comment but i'm honestly asking. I mean, they're putting a glass roof on the thing anyways, just keep it closed and climate controlled if that is the issue that is leading to attendance problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

Yes, it’s true, the Texas Rangers are getting set to move into a brand new ballpark, but before they do, they’ll take a season to remember Arlington’s historic Globe Life Park In Arlington located in Arlington.

 

Historic?! Bill Clinton was President, Kurt Cobain died, and OJ was arrested the year this place opened. Let's save that adjective for things that pre-date Zubaz shorts, please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree that a new park is a waste of time, resource, and money, I actually like the patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is criminal. I'm 50 and I've actually seen teams now have two new stadiums built. Giants and Jets didn't need one, it was perfect for football. Why is the Superdome lasting so long then? Some of these stadiums never were even torn down i.e. Astrodome, CAA arena in NJ. Makes no sense sometimes but there's Wrigley, Fenway, Superdome etc. Not one cent should go to these greedy bastards or what are they gonna do...THREATEN TO MOVE THE TEAM. How did that work out for you Spanos? I didn't even know about the Rangers getting a new stadium, makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joekono said:

Why is the Superdome lasting so long then?

Because Louisiana owns the Superdome and pays the Saints $6 Million per year to play there. Before Hurricane Katrina hit, the Saints were flirting with both San Antonio and Southern Mississippi as ways to get Louisiana to build a new stadium. Then Katrina happened and the state and Saints agreed that a massive renovation would be just fine. The current lease ends after the 2025 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.