NFL Playoffs: Super Bowl LIII

Normally I don’t like the fact that sometimes, when someone’s team wins a championship, people act like they’re not allowed to complain about anything anymore. Each season is different, there are often legitimate complaints that fans have. 

I’m setting that aside for New England fans. I don’t want to hear another peep out of Pats fans for the first 20 years after Brady and Belichick retire. 

spacer.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still trying to wrap my hands around that roughing the passer call. Apparently you get called for a penalty if you brush your hand against Tom Brady?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

58 minutes ago, Wings said:

Dodgers lose the Word Series and the Rams possibly losing the Super Bowl. What a great 3 months. 

At least they have the Kings 2 Stanley Cup wins. I don't have hope for another Lakers title, even with Lebron.

20 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I'm still trying to wrap my hands around that roughing the passer call. Apparently you get called for a penalty if you brush your hand against Tom Brady?

That call was on 2nd and 10, right? With the Pats in their own end of the field? There's no guarantee the Chiefs would have gotten the stop on 3rd -- they certainly didn't the rest of the way -- but that call moved the Pats 15 yards and gave them a new set of downs. Perhaps not as back-breaking as the PI no-call, but pretty close.

15-yard penalties are too damaging to be called incorrectly. Perhaps fourth quarter penalties get booth reviewed/confirmed?

I've said it before, but it should be home vs. road team. Not home vs. road vs. refs.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Gotta disagree Vet.

The Big Lead's Kyle Koster gets it right.

I completely disagree with this line of thinking. “Well, shoulda won it in regulation” applies to both teams. It’s like excusing a bad call that costs you the game by saying “well, had you scored 2 more touch downs, it wouldn’t have mattered”. 

1 hour ago, Kevin W. said:

It’s ridiculous and referees should lose their jobs. Anything that results in a new set of downs needs to be reviewable - and I’m tired about the whole “challenge” thing. There’s too much at stake - get it right. Don’t make bad calls a strategic decision point. It’s stupid. The league is stupid. Defending the referees or the system in general is stupid. People should stop being stupid. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Official Reviews should be done by the booth.  Remove the concept of Challenges.  Every play should be watched in real time and if something is so questionable like a catch or even a no-call like the DPI or brushing-the-facemask as a Roughing the Passer, it should be overturned by the booth. The refs should be there to watch the ball and make the decisions on the field, but it's clear that the quality of calls have declined significantly in recent years.  Maybe because we're more aware of how flawed the human eye is sometimes. 

If it's questionable - it should be reviewed
if it is borderline - it should be reviewed

if it's obvious and missed by the ground crew - it should be reviewed

if it could have a major impact on the game - it should be reviewed

Their goal should be to ensure the call is correct on the field.  Too many mistakes, too many no-calls, and WAY too many trigger-happy calls are happening now.  It shouldn't be this hard to ensure a game is called correctly

Someone - I believe it was Vet - said in the regular season thread that watching football has been reduced to looking on the screen to see if there was a flag after almost any semblance of a significant play. Thinking back on this season, and the last couple of seasons, he’s 100% right. I used to only look for flags on huge plays, like long Pick Sixes or kick returns. But now, virtually any play over 7 yards means you gotta look at that scoreboard graphic and hope that yellow box does/doesn’t show (depending on who you’re rooting for). Football shouldn’t be like that. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Wings said:

Dodgers lose the Word Series and the Rams possibly losing the Super Bowl. What a great 3 months. 

Had completely forgot that the World Series was LA v Boston. Now the Super Bowl is the same 3 months later... just crazy. 

41 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Someone - I believe it was Vet - said in the regular season thread that watching football has been reduced to looking on the screen to see if there was a flag after almost any semblance of a significant play. Thinking back on this season, and the last couple of seasons, he’s 100% right. I used to only look for flags on huge plays, like long Pick Sixes or kick returns. But now, virtually any play over 7 yards means you gotta look at that scoreboard graphic and hope that yellow box does/doesn’t show (depending on who you’re rooting for). Football shouldn’t be like that.  

The commentary is the same: "He catches the ball...no flags....touchdown!" Searching for yellow flags is now an intrinsic part of the football watching experience.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And to any stupid person that makes the stupid comment that "college OT takes the special teams out of it, and that's a part of the game!!!", then how the hell is the pro OT, where one team doesn't even get to use their offense, better?  I'd prefer to see each team's offense and defense rather than only one.

The LA Ram's championship (just NFC if they lose, or SB if they win) is tainted forever.  Maybe even worse than the Steelers' SB XL.  The Saints coach is a godsdamned moron, but even the league essentially admitted that they should have won.

The Patriots isn't tainted, but it still wasn't a well-called game by any stretch.  

I'm convinced that the league never addresses this stuff because it is deliberate.    

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I’ve long been a proponent of keeping the OT rules as they currently are because I’ve always held the belief that if your defense can’t stop the other team, you deserve to lose. 

But, seeing how the NFL officiates games, with the rules being heavily favored for the offense and defenses essentially being neutered (save for the Rams-Saints call), they need to adopt a college-like OT system. It’s simply unfair for a game to be determined by who wins a 50/50 chance coin flip. 

One proposed change I saw and liked was giving both teams the ball at the 50. I think it’d give each team a fair shot, with potentially all 3 phases of the ball being utilized. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I've always thought them just playing a full 5th Quarter would help solve a lot of issues as far as "Fairness" and whatnot.  Even if a team scores, you still gotta finish out the Quarter.  Sudden Death is exciting to an extent but you don't have a Sudden Death 4th Quarter.  Just play a full Quarter.  During the Regular season, if after the 15 minutes it's still tied, it's a tie.  During the playoffs obviously an extension of that needs to happen to help determine a legit winner. 

I dislike the college OT because it's not evocative of all-facet football.  You put the offense almost in the Red Zone and see if the defense can stop them with that pressure already on them.  People say it's fair but it's just as advantageous to the offense as is the coinflip.

I like the current OT system just fine, but I get the complaints about it. What I don't get is all the people calling for the college OT system. I really dislike college OT. It's not real football, it's a minigame that only superficially resembles the actual game. If they must change OT, just make it a "fifth quarter" and be done with it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

College OT, the winner just needs to play Defense for the first possession. See what the opposing offense did, and do them one better. Plus, it puts the pressure on the opposition to then keep pace in the 2nd OT.

I think the NFL should do a modified College OT. Have each team start at their own 40 yard line and play it out like college would. No clock, no quarters. You go until one team outscores the other. This would force offenses to gain at least 20 to try a 57 yard field goal while guaranteeing both teams a shot with the ball. 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The commentary is the same: "He catches the ball...no flags....touchdown!" Searching for yellow flags is now an intrinsic part of the football watching experience.

Well, I'm not going to suggest you do it, or @Cosmic, or any other Bills fans for that mater, but if you ever watch the Music City Miracle television call, Mike Patrick made a comment about "and there are no flags" as Kevin Dyson crossed the goal line. 

That was January 8, 2000. Over 19 years ago now (jeez). So I get the complaint and I concur with it 100%. The worst part of it being, this is far from a new development. It's not just an instrinsic part of the watching experience, but people roughly my age and younger don't even know what watching football is like without that being part of the experience.

spacer.png

Nope..haven't seen that since 2000 and not about to now. I'll take your word for it.

Maybe the NFL should switch to a vote for OT. America gets to text for the more favorable team, American Idol style.

6 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Who people are cheering for in the Super Bowl...

DxaGaj5X0AYKlzd?format=jpg&name=large

I don’t think we feel any animus towards the Rams at all. It’s not their job to call the game, and they have nothing to apologize for. I certainly didn’t give a damn when the Saints weren’t penalized for a blatant face mask in the red zone.

The map holds up for me, but not because of anything that went down yesterday. I want the Patriots to win because 1) I childishly don’t want anyone to be happy if I can’t be happy and 2) I will be eternally grateful to them for 28-3. 

PJU85JF.png

Archived