tigerslionspistonshabs

NFL Playoffs: Super Bowl LIII

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Edit: And @DnBronc... the Bills have had TWO winning seasons in the past nine, thank you very much. 

 

Oh, yeah. They had a 9-7 record in 14 with Kyle Orton at QB. I forgot. Sorry.

 

Quote

You watch your team collect all the right parts and then hopefully open a window of opportunity at the right time and hope your team is able to play better than the other teams also in their window. If you're lucky you'll see your favorite team win it all once or twice in your life. The Patriots, though, just don't adhere to any of that. Because of the coach and the quarterback it doesn't even matter who else plays for them. They've broken football and they've done it with this joyless slog of 6 yard slant passes on 3rd and 5. And in a league with all these rules designed to create parity it's annoying that it just doesn't ever seem to matter for one of the teams. 

 

The Pats' short passing game reminds me of the 49ers in the 80's. Nobody defended them the right way then (except Belichick and the 95 Packers), and nobody defends NE the right way now.

 

People are so concerned with getting to Brady. Especially with what happened in SB 42 with the Giants and three years ago with Denver's No Fly Zone.

 

If you have that kind of pass rush (and a complete D in Denver's case), God love ya. If not, you have to play tight man and hit their receivers consistently within five yards of the LOS. Playing zones all day and rushing around Brady like the Steelers do doesn't work.

 

In OT on Sunday, I was thinking that the Chiefs need to abandon their pass rush, drop nine into coverage (especially on third down), and hit guys at the line (especially Edelman). Their pass rush wasn't cutting it (Sutton also had his safeties playing too far back).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This stat pretty accurately summarizes where I think the rest of the AFC East stands... not great, but not getting lapped by the rest of the league like some people seem to think.

 

This is the 2010-2018 number of times each division has had two or more 10-win teams in the same year:

AFC North: 5

NFC North: 5

NFC West: 5

AFC West: 4

NFC South: 4

AFC East: 3

NFC East: 3

AFC South: 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

This is the 2010-2018 number of times each division has had two or more 10-win teams in the same year: 

AFC East: 3 

 

 

This doesn't look too bad, but the reality is that those teams (2010 Jets, 2015 Jets, 2016 Dolphins) weren't able to duplicate that feat the next year. The Jets didn't have another winning record until 2015, and the Dolphins were 6-10 and 7-9 the past two years.

 

Here's a stat that's more indicative of how bad those teams have been during the entire Brady-Belichick era (going back to 01): These are the records of the three derelicts since then in games against teams that finished above .500:

 

Buffalo: 26-114

Miami: 44-85

N.Y. Jets: 34-91

 

A side note: During the last years that the Bills (2017) and Dolphins (2016) made the playoffs, those teams were a combined 3-9 against teams that finished .500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DnBronc said:

 

This doesn't look too bad, but the reality is that those teams (2010 Jets, 2015 Jets, 2016 Dolphins) weren't able to duplicate that feat the next year. The Jets didn't have another winning record until 2015, and the Dolphins were 6-10 and 7-9 the past two years.

 

Here's a stat that's more indicative of how bad those teams have been during the entire Brady-Belichick era (going back to 01): These are the records of the three derelicts since then in games against teams that finished above .500:

 

Buffalo: 26-114

Miami: 44-85

N.Y. Jets: 34-91

 

A side note: During the last years that the Bills (2017) and Dolphins (2016) made the playoffs, those teams were a combined 3-9 against teams that finished .500.

2015 Jets missed the playoffs. No playoff appearances for Gang Green since 2010.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

2015 Jets missed the playoffs. No playoff appearances for Gang Green since 2010.

 

I know. They did go 10-6 that year, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, anyone who claims Brady and/or the Patriots are Actually Bad is just wrong. Hate them all you want, I do. Arguing against their nearly twenty years of success in the Salary Cap Era, however, is just foolish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Look, anyone who claims Brady and/or the Patriots are Actually Bad is just wrong. Hate them all you want, I do. Arguing against their nearly twenty years of success in the Salary Cap Era, however, is just foolish. 

 

Who's doing that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

 

Who's doing that?

Somebody(-ies) you may already have blocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 12:02 AM, Sykotyk said:

Don't you find it interesting that 2007 was the year of spygate, and the next three years the Patriots didn't make an AFC championship game? The Patriots were in 3 straight AFCCGs before Spygate. Then, punished and had their 'edge' taken away and couldn't make it for three straight years. And then were right back it for the past EIGHT years in the AFCCG? And were caught cheating once again along the way but again a slap on the wrist?

@DG_Now I think that, here and now in 2019, it’s kind of silly to put forward the idea that the Pats were only good “because cheating.” 

Nearly 20 years on top of their division/the AFC has more to it than “they cheated and were caught twelve years ago that’s the reason they’re good.”

 

You also have people going on about the Pats only being good because the AFC East is trash, which @Cosmic has dispensed with. 

And there’s that one guy who claims Brady would suck if he were in the NFC. Despite Brady having a damn good record against NFC defences. 

 

This was what? Their eighth straight AFC Championship appearance? They have five rings under Belichick/Brady. I think at this point we all ought to stop trying to rationalize it away.

Hate them until the heat death of the universe, but they’ve put together a run that’s unprecedented in the modern era of North American pro sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

@DG_Now I think that, here and now in 2019, it’s kind of silly to put forward the idea that the Pats were only good “because cheating.” 

Nearly 20 years on top of their division/the AFC has more to it than “they cheated and were caught twelve years ago that’s the reason they’re good.”

 

You also have people going on about the Pats only being good because the AFC East is trash, which @Cosmic has dispensed with. 

And there’s that one guy who claims Brady would suck if he were in the NFC. Despite Brady having a damn good record against NFC defences. 

 

This was what? Their eighth straight AFC Championship appearance? They have five rings under Belichick/Brady. I think at this point we all ought to stop trying to rationalize it away.

Hate them until the heat death of the universe, but they’ve put together a run that’s unprecedented in the modern era of North American pro sports. 

They also lost their 2016 1st Round draft pick and a 2017 4th rounder, a pick which they would have wisely used to get a dude who would start in year 2.

Meanwhile, look at all the drafts which the Bills1, Dolphins2, and Jets3 have botched in the last 15 years.  Granted, drafting (and to a lesser degree free agency) is a VERY inexact science, but if you cannot build your team well, then you ain't gonna excel on the field to challenge the Patriots regardless of Spygate or Deflategate or headsets going out since you have 14 other games in the season which you can win to go 14-2, yet they struggle to be .500.

 

1-https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

2-https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/draft.htm

3-https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm

Edited by dfwabel
Links added to illustrate their $hitty scouting and drafting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a link giving a bit of a preview of how the field at Super Bowl LIII will look.

 

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/22/nfl-rams-patriots-super-bowl-field-paint-mercedes-benz-stadium/

 

I dunno if this belongs here cause I can't seem to find the 'Super Bowl Fields' topic here right now.

 

If it doesn't, I'm hoping that one of the mods or admins to move it to the right one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Meanwhile, look at all the drafts which the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets have botched in the last 15 years.

 

Indeed, especially at QB. In rounds 1 and 2 (since 2004), those teams have taken guys like J.P. Losman, Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez, John Beck, and E.J. Manuel. Yikes!!! Also, Ryan Tannehill wasn't a great choice, either (the Dolphins should have kept Todd Bowles and Matt Moore as HC and QB after the 11 season).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The secret to NFL success has almost always been drafting a quarterback. Tom Brady and Russell Wilson are two diamonds in the rough compared to guys like Aaron Rodgers, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, and Peyton Manning. Even Drew Brees was taken in the second round, though the first pick.

 

I think what's more amazing is that the Bills and Dolphins have so spectacularly failed in finding effective quarterbacks in the past 20 years. The Bills cursed their franchise by choosing Rob Johnson over Doug Flutie 20 (!) years ago. The Dolphins get to enjoy the memories of the Dan Marino years, I guess, even if they ended up not being all that memorable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm turning heel and rooting for the Pats next Sunday. I consciously can't root for an LA team to win a championship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that Tyrod Taylor was ever going to be The Guy but shipping him out to Cleveland to go all in on Natty P didn’t do great things for the Bills’ future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DnBronc said:

 

Indeed, especially at QB. In rounds 1 and 2 (since 2004), those teams have taken guys like J.P. Losman, Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez, John Beck, and E.J. Manuel. Yikes!!! Also, Ryan Tannehill wasn't a great choice, either (the Dolphins should have kept Todd Bowles and Matt Moore as HC and QB after the 11 season).

 

Matt Moore was never good enough to be a franchise QB. He just made the other scrubs look worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bUt PeOpLe DoNt CaRe AbOuT tHe RaMs

 

 

 

 
Tampa Bay Rays, my ass.

RAM IT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

bUt PeOpLe DoNt CaRe AbOuT tHe RaMs

 

 

 

 

 

Tampa Bay Rays, my ass.

RAM IT!

LA, You guys started that insufferable Patriots Dynasty. Next Sunday, PLEASE END IT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I bought tickets to the pro bowl last night because I happened to be in Orlando with my gf and we are stupid and spontaneous. Anyways that was probably the worst decision of my life, especially when we woke up and saw it was raining and I didn’t pack rain gear on Friday. Probably was the most miserable half of football I tried to watch before we both couldn’t handle it anymore and had to leave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dont care said:

So I bought tickets to the pro bowl last night because I happened to be in Orlando with my gf and we are stupid and spontaneous. Anyways that was probably the worst decision of my life, especially when we woke up and saw it was raining and I didn’t pack rain gear on Friday. Probably was the most miserable half of football I tried to watch before we both couldn’t handle it anymore and had to leave

How many people were there? Very few locals still care about the Pro Bowl, and with the rain I would imagine that even fewer actually went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.