NFL Playoffs: Super Bowl LIII

The only real modern comparison I can think of Jordan winning six titles in eight years. And had he not retired in between, it's very possible him and the Bulls could have won eight straight titles. (Jordan still has the distinction of being 6-0, while Brady is 6-3).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Oh that’s on the top of my list XD 

I was actually in attendance for the Jays’ 1993 World Series victory but like...I six :D That doesn’t count! 

Got a question, Ice Cap...once that ball cleared the left field wall, did you feel the floor of SkyDome physically shake from that crowd explosion? O.o

I should clarify that I’d consider the offer as Dalcowboys92 described it: watching the Cowboys win a title with my dad. 

That’s what I’d consider giving up years of my life for, not necessarily just seeing them win the championship.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

10 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

A bit of both. Mostly tongue in cheek. It is only a game after all. 

But I’d seriously consider it, if I’m being honest. 

Fair enough. Believe me, I get it. Back in the 80's (when I was closer to your age now) I think I would have seriously considered losing a year to get the Browns past the Broncos and into the Super Bowl. But as you get older, sports become less important - which is good and bad. It's good because it's not as important and it makes it a lot easier to simply enjoy the games for what they are. On the the other hand, it kinda sucks that you're not as invested as you used to be so the games aren't quite as much fun as they used to be. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, SabresRule7361 said:

At least McVay hype would have been something DIFFERENT. The NFL needs some new blood, something different. Instead, it's another 12 months of how Brady/Belichick walk on water.

Yeah, I'm sure Kliff Kingsbury is the man to bring them down... 🙄

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Kill Jerry Jones?  It's pretty much the only way they have a chance.

Except that they do lose.

Since they beat the Rams in 01, there have been... wait for it... 12 seasons they didn't win.  

Not only that - but NINE SEASONS IN A ROW that they didn't win.

You guys simply don't know what you're talking about.

They did have the nine seasons without one, but I think another factor fueling the flames of Pats fatigue is the 8 straight AFC CG's. It's not like they got tripped up here and there in the divisional round.

Forget the SB- the last time we had an AFC-CG without the Pats, Carmelo Anthony was still in Denve.

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I go to bed every night hoping that Stephen isn't a spineless man, and can get someone in there who, may have a big ego, but is a winner.

I mean, maybe next year, they'll finally cut loose The Clapper? I can dream.

I think in the case of Jerry Jones, the only thing he should do is:

1. Cede being the GM, stick to owning- ala Parcells' 4 years

2. Change coaches

23 minutes ago, Quillz said:

This is how I always feel 24 hours later. And I can tell my kids, "And while they lost, my home team still got to play in the Super Bowl against the greatest dynasty ever!"

Greatest dynasty? Pfft.

If the NFL had a stronger commissioner with an actual spine, tonight's discussion would be so much different right now.

2 hours ago, Wings said:

Watching Bob Backlund wrestle a clone of himself to a draw in a 60 minute iron man match is somewhat comparable to this.

It could be worse: Randy Orton wrestling a clone of himself in a 60 minute iron man match that is nothing but headlocks. 

I wouldn't give up a day of my life to see the Titans win it all. Why? My dad has been a Vikings fan since he was 9 years old and watched them lose SB IV on TV (he became a Vikings fan because he loved how their helmets looked). That was 50 years ago. He doesn't even watch the NFL nowadays. I'd still rather see him get to see the Vikings win if I had the choice. 

ICXC NIKA

1 hour ago, See Red said:

It isn't just that the Patriots win all the time... it's that even sometimes when they should lose, they get lucky and somehow win.  The Seahawks not running it with Marshawn Lynch, the Falcons averaging a bajillion yards per carry and then abandoning the run with a lead.  That's the frustrating part.

As much as I'm annoyed by them winning this game... the McVay hype might've been worse had they pulled one out even with the terrible offense tonight.  At least Brady and Belichick are genuinely great.

Counterargument:  Jared Goff isn't that good a QB, and rookie Goff is really close to the reality for him (which means McVay is something of a miracle worker.)  And before you say the Rams painstakingly chose to trade up to draft him, I will suggest the thought process went no further than "most prolific Pac-12 California QB in that draft class."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It could be worse: Randy Orton wrestling a clone of himself in a 60 minute iron man match that is nothing but headlocks. 

Or Orton teaming up with Baron Corbin as The World's Most Boring Tag Team

10 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I should clarify that I’d consider the offer as Dalcowboys92 described it: watching the Cowboys win a title with my dad. 

That’s what I’d consider giving up years of my life for, not necessarily just seeing them win the championship.

I'm with you on that one. My Dad is the reason I'm such a fan of NASCAR. We always talked about going to either the Daytona 500 or to Charlotte for the Coca-Cola 600 together, but being in Ohio, it was tough to put together. When things finally fell into place and I was able to go to the Coca-Cola 600, my Dad was gone. I'd gladly give up a year to go see a NASCAR race with him now. 

BB52Big.jpg

Just now, rams80 said:

Counterargument:  Jared Goff isn't that good a QB, and rookie Goff is really close to the reality for him (which means McVay is something of a miracle worker.)  And before you say the Rams painstakingly chose to trade up to draft him, I will suggest the thought process went no further than "most prolific Pac-12 California QB in that draft class."

In almost every game the Rams lost this year, getting in Goff's face led to stopping the Rams. Refusing to acknowledge that Gurley couldn't do anything,  refusing to roll Goff out and expecting the Rams line to suddenly slow down New England's rush are on the OC and McVay. Andy Reid could make changes but McVay didn't. He looked as lost on the sideline as Goff did. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Funny that Goff is the 5th Cal QB to play in a Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

In almost every game the Rams lost this year, getting in Goff's face led to stopping the Rams. Refusing to acknowledge that Gurley couldn't do anything,  refusing to roll Goff out and expecting the Rams line to suddenly slow down New England's rush are on the OC and McVay. Andy Reid could make changes but McVay didn't. He looked as lost on the sideline as Goff did. 

Gurley did about as well as Anderson did tonight, so (ASCII shrug).  Some times you can't just find an edge when you are limited at the QB position to begin with, especially with Kupp out for the year.  Brady would have been :censored: ed without Edelman tonight, and Kupp fills a similar role in the Rams offense.

Anyway, yes he turned into late-career Bulger when confronted with a challenge.  Which is to be expected when you weren't that good to begin with.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

One other thing I'll point out for the Rams O.  The Rams D had a fantastic night, but usually gave up a first down or two a drive, and that hurts you in other ways.  Rams starting field position was awful most of the night, which does not help the offense get on track.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived