Football Reclamation Project

JamieRose

members-of-the-boston-breakers-and-new-jersey-generals-usfl-teams-picture-id52599433?s=2048x2048Wonder why no one has commented on this yet. It’s very clear in this picture and if your not sure yet go watch Breakers games on YouTube and you’ll clearly see the waves connected on the backside of the helmet.  

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/7/2020 at 7:36 AM, JimmyN64 said:

Updated LA in the original post, thanks for spotting that @TruColor!

Here's Denver --

XNVfRNf.png

R6VJPZa.png

UJ4xwN0.png

85 Gold is spot on. The 83-84 Gold had athletic gold pants. it was ugly with all the darker gold on the helmet and the sleeves.

Your version of the 83-84 uniforms is much better

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I really love your work here.  I noticed a couple of USFL teams that you haven't done yet.  From what I can tell, you're missing:

1983-84 Chicago Blitz

1984-85 Houston Gamblers

1984-85 San Antonio Gunslingers

1984-85 Jacksonville Bulls

1983-85 Tampa Bay Bandits

1984-85 Oklahoma/Arizona Outlaws

I can't wait to see when you add those :)  Also, I noticed on your Arizona Wranglers graphics, there is one small error.  On the back of the helmets, there was an Arizona state flag.  In '83 it was at the center at the base of the back of the helmet, and in '84 it was to the left of the helmet seam.  When you do the Blitz uniforms, there was a Chicago city flag on the left rear of the helmet as well.  In '83, it was fluttering towards the rear of the helmet, and in '84 it was half the size and fluttering towards the earhole.  Keep up the great work! :)

All the best,

Brian

Hi again!  I just noticed you're also missing one team from your WFL collection.  The 1974 Charlotte Hornets.  They played one game as the Charlotte Stars before adopting the Hornets moniker.  Their helmets for 1974 were simply carryovers of the NY Stars except they had a white "C" on the shell.    I'm attaching a gif to show you what it looked like.  Thanks again!

All the best,

Brian

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/454441418626397374/

On 1/5/2019 at 11:56 AM, JimmyN64 said:

Here's a few more, almost done with the WFL.

jRcrr6a.png

BIyUxvd.png

h6OAyWa.png

CoJK86I.png

pq8CsqV.png

And people thought the original team colors of the Buccaneers uniforms were ugly? I guess real men wear magenta?!

Yeah, the So Cal Sun's unis were very...…...distinctive lol.  

@JimmyN64  I noticed a slight error on your '85 New Jersey Generals graphic.  You have them listed as being in the Western Conference.  If only lol.  They were Eastern Conference.  Still, keep up the great work! :)

All the best,

Brian

14 hours ago, bridder01 said:

These were the best unis in the entire USFL!  Wish they had worn the Red jerseys, but still my all-time favorite USFL uniform! :)

The Wranglers and the Panthers were my favorites!

Wranglers had the greatest football uniforms ever! Better than any NFL team better than any USFL or WLAF team....anybody ever! (In my opinion of course 🙂 )

A Little intresting trivia here:

The Panthers wore SILVER helmets the first four games in '83, because the Champaigne Silver ones werent ready until Week 5(vs Denver Gold)

1 hour ago, mkg74 said:

A Little intresting trivia here:

The Panthers wore SILVER helmets the first four games in '83, because the Champaigne Silver ones werent ready until Week 5(vs Denver Gold)

Another piece of interesting trivia:

For the first game of the '84 season, the Memphis Showboats had no red stripe down the center of their helmets.

Also, the Washington Federals sucked.  Just.......sucked lol

5 hours ago, bridder01 said:

Another piece of interesting trivia:

For the first game of the '84 season, the Memphis Showboats had no red stripe down the center of their helmets.

Also, the Washington Federals sucked.  Just.......sucked lol

They should’ve kept it no stripe on the helmet would’ve even better IMO. 

the Federals sure sucked but they looked awesome(uniforms) while doing such.  

the 1983 Wranglers had ugly ass uniforms    

the 1984 Wranglers couldn’t wear red jerseys because their were too many red jerseys in the league. At that time. Supposedly they were to wear them In ‘85. That didn’t happen and we got the uglier than sin Outlaws uniform instead 

On 4/19/2020 at 10:08 PM, Tygers09 said:

And people thought the original team colors of the Buccaneers uniforms were ugly? I guess real men wear magenta?!

The WFL had solid uniforms too. 

the Sun had a very seventies thing goin on there but I still like it. I love the creamsicle Bucs too. 

some of the teams could’ve gone on more  of an original path say the Fire or Sharks the Americans looked like a mashup of Patriots/Bills.  The Winds looked like the Jets done on purpose because they were trying to lure Namath at the time.  

10 hours ago, mkg74 said:

They should’ve kept it no stripe on the helmet would’ve even better IMO. 

the Federals sure sucked but they looked awesome(uniforms) while doing such.  

the 1983 Wranglers had ugly ass uniforms    

the 1984 Wranglers couldn’t wear red jerseys because their were too many red jerseys in the league. At that time. Supposedly they were to wear them In ‘85. That didn’t happen and we got the uglier than sin Outlaws uniform instead 

I agree about the '83 Wranglers.  Why they decided to base those uniforms on the Arizona state flag is beyond me lol.  My understanding for the '84 Wranglers Red unis is that Head Coach George Allen felt that since Tempe, AZ was too hot in the spring/summer, wearing the red jerseys would have handicapped his veteran players, so they went the entire season in the white jerseys.  However, if you'd like to purchase an '84 Wrangler Red jersey, 503 Sports have them for sale.  Here's the link:

https://www.503-sports.com/collections/usfl/products/arizona-wranglers-1984-usfl-jersey

Where it says Color, select Red and you'll get that jersey!  I'm going to be getting one before too long.

Which Federals uniform was better: '83 or '84?

48 minutes ago, bridder01 said:

I agree about the '83 Wranglers.  Why they decided to base those uniforms on the Arizona state flag is beyond me lol.  My understanding for the '84 Wranglers Red unis is that Head Coach George Allen felt that since Tempe, AZ was too hot in the spring/summer, wearing the red jerseys would have handicapped his veteran players, so they went the entire season in the white jerseys.  However, if you'd like to purchase an '84 Wrangler Red jersey, 503 Sports have them for sale.  Here's the link:

https://www.503-sports.com/collections/usfl/products/arizona-wranglers-1984-usfl-jersey

Where it says Color, select Red and you'll get that jersey!  I'm going to be getting one before too long.

Which Federals uniform was better: '83 or '84?

There's alot of stories on the Red uniforms, one story had George Allen hating them(why on earth would anyone hate them?lol) and thats why they went white the whole season....

About the '83 uniforms, i couldnt stand the mismatching helmet(copper) and pants(athletic gold). Copper pants wouldve made it look much better imo

Thank you for the link, I want both jerseys...like ive said numerous times on this board throughout the years, all time favorite it still holds up well....

The Federals? depends on the day, i love both but back then i did favor the switch to silver.....

The worst USFL uniform changes in my mind......

83-84 Denver Gold to their '85 look, they looked way to close to the Steelers for comfort

83-84 LA Express to their '85 uniforms, adding all that red was just a mess

4 hours ago, mkg74 said:

There's alot of stories on the Red uniforms, one story had George Allen hating them(why on earth would anyone hate them?lol) and thats why they went white the whole season....

About the '83 uniforms, i couldnt stand the mismatching helmet(copper) and pants(athletic gold). Copper pants wouldve made it look much better imo

Thank you for the link, I want both jerseys...like ive said numerous times on this board throughout the years, all time favorite it still holds up well....

The Federals? depends on the day, i love both but back then i did favor the switch to silver.....

The worst USFL uniform changes in my mind......

83-84 Denver Gold to their '85 look, they looked way to close to the Steelers for comfort

83-84 LA Express to their '85 uniforms, adding all that red was just a mess

I hear ya.  The Federals were kinda screwed either way.  A month before they played their first game, the Redskins won Super Bowl XVII vs. Miami.  The Federals were going to have to duplicate the feat if they were ever going to make it in DC.  Truth be told, I preferred the Orlando Renegades uniform over either of the Washington Federals uniforms.  The Renegades unis just look more stylish.  I, too, didn't like the Denver Gold switching out Old Gold for Yellow Gold.  Looked like they spilled mustard on their uniforms lol.  As for the LA Express, I kinda liked their '85 jerseys, at least the sleeves, putting the LA monogram on the sleeve looked neat.  But you're right, they went overboard with the red.  The '85 Express were a mess in more ways than just their uniforms.  On the other hand, I liked the '84 Chicago Blitz uniforms as well.  Reminded me of a colorful version of the iconic New York Jets jerseys from the late '60s (I am a Jets fan, or was anyway.  The NFL sucks right now, and the Jets went from classy to trashy with their latest uniform set).  I even liked the little touch of having the Chicago city flag on the back of the helmet, both in '83 and '84.

Now, the Gunslingers on the other hand...……...sheesh lol

Happy Friday!
Brian

Archived