Another Theft Case

Mac the Knife

that internet archive you used to find the old logo really helped - now you are in total control - isnt that a great feeling? lol :D

Actually it wouldn't have mattered; it was the original logo on our own server that seems to have made it clear to them that we own the design.

Total control or no, we're going to be reasonable about this. While I wasn't thinking about a licensing arrangement when I first learned of this situation, I realize that their organization isn't that far removed from our own, and as such I've informally discussed with our Board of Directors (who, initially, literally wanted to sue them into oblivion) options that could allow them to use the mark while at the same time generating us some revenue from something we barely even use anymore.

But, should they choose to stop using it, that would be fine as well; I made the offer to license based on the PITA it would be for them to remove it from everything (and, presumably, replace it with something else) in time for their upcoming title game in Edmonton.

I'm not heartless, ya know. :evil::D

nav-logo.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the team bought the logo from me and then sued the uniform manufacturer who sold it to them originally (the same group that did my team's uniforms -click, the light goes on)

And did you, in turn, file a suit of your own against the outfit that did your uniforms? :cursing:

I for one think you should have. If it didn't break 'em, it at least would ensure that they'd never, ever do it again.

nav-logo.png

there's got to be some kind of agreement between the NCAA, NFL and these manufacturers. Something like as long as its not for profit (i.e. High Schools) the logos in question can be used. I say this only because the only time you ever really hear about the larger coming down on the smaller is Notre Dame, who has a completely different licencing agreement than the rest of the NCAA. If I'm thinking correctly, at least half of the teams in my conference in HS AND in College used a NFL/NCAA logo exact with different colors, or a very similar variation of them. Salt Fork High I know used the 49ers oval with SF in it, they j ust put them on silver helmets instead of gold....Illinois Weslyan used the Wisconsin "W"....etc...

Anyway, its only right if they've been given permission.

Also, how owns the rights to an image once its made? If you design a logo for a small time hockey team, its their property to do with what the please correct? Unless another agreement is made that is....or am I wrong?

peace,

pc

Also, how owns the rights to an image once its made? If you design a logo for a small time hockey team, its their property to do with what the please correct? Unless another agreement is made that is....or am I wrong?

Correct. It's considered a "work for hire" under the Berne Convention and U.S. Copyright law.

nav-logo.png

the team bought the logo from me and then sued the uniform manufacturer who sold it to them originally (the same group that did my team's uniforms -click, the light goes on)

And did you, in turn, file a suit of your own against the outfit that did your uniforms? :cursing:

I for one think you should have. If it didn't break 'em, it at least would ensure that they'd never, ever do it again.

I should have but no.....the team got a pretty good settlement from what i heard...my team still retained the rights to use the logo...sometimes the legal battle can be more than it's worth.....picking your battles is key

My team, that I coach, we use the Iowa State Cyclone Logo for our 8th grade team. As long as we are not using it to 'profit' we can continue to use it.

We are the Cardinals, and it's a great looking logo on our helmet. :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived