Dallas Stars Winter Classic Concept

Scheuer

ZwkRmGX.png

On Tuesday, the NHL announced that the Dallas Stars would be hosting the next Winter Classic. While it might not make the most sense to be hosting the Winter Classic in Texas, I immediately got really excited. Even though we don't have a game logo or know the opposing team, I wanted to put something together with my ideas for what the Stars should wear for the game.

Before I start, I put the designs together on @JB Designs's beautiful hockey template. 

I wanted to make the Stars look like they were around in 1930 when the Cotton Bowl was built. I tried to go for a more Art Deco inspired look while still keeping the modern Stars in mind. A simple Art Deco "Dallas" wordmark covers the front, with additional star patches you could almost pull from the 30s. Instead of the Star's current two white stripes and one black stripe sleeve design, I went with a double black stripe to make it feel a little more old school. A special, simple fauxback logo appears around the uniform. In general, I tried to keep it as simple as possible and keep it rooted in the present as much as I could. 

Pn8dACR.png

Great call on the Art Deco style of things! The set has a very “Dallas” look to it for sure, and the star patches really do have a 30’s-40’s kind of vibe. As for a suggestion, I would see if there’s some way you can get some green onto the socks just to spread it out a little bit and give the set just a bit more color balance. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Looks really good! It definitely matches the era you're going for, and it would still hold up pretty well today.

I wonder what opponents would match well with this uniform... maybe Chicago?

On 1/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, vtgco said:

Looks really good! It definitely matches the era you're going for, and it would still hold up pretty well today.

tenor.gif

Excellent!

@KRZYBDGRZ 

On 1/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, vtgco said:

I just meant aesthetically matching for this concept; I don't actually want Chicago to play their bazillionth outdoor game in real life! 😂

i dig the Art Deco direction, but im not seeing it executed in the design. i think you have opportunity to do something much more interesting with the front of the jersey, even if its supposed to come from the 1930s. you’re limited in materiels and production processes but not really limited with what the design could be. a 2 color approach is probably good, but look at how Deco buildings have the signage and names designed and try to carry that over to your jersey

the stripes are also the perfect opportunity to get creative and do something really unique. id again point to Deco buildings themselves and see if you can carry over those lines and shapes

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived