Learning Sports Design

bbush24

So this is a pretty broad question and I'm not sure if this is even the right forum to post this in, but I'm a very beginner in sports design and I'm just looking for ways to get better. I've tried looking for tutorials, but they all seem to be from people who are good, but not great. I'm getting ready to graduate with a degree in digital media, but that includes a lot of video and some photography, so I've only taken a couple graphic design classes, and they were pretty broad and basic. Video is my first love and what I planned on doing post-college, but I found that I really enjoy doing graphic design as well, but I'm kinda running out of time to learn it. Are there classes I should take or good tutorials online somewhere? I'm just kinda lost and looking for any type of help.

I just opened Illustrator/Photoshop for the first time this past summer and made a few things (this is not to show them off, I know they're not that good, it's just to give some context to where I'm at.)

fDetFHK.jpg

pwwfZt0.png

EG5itf2.jpgYRVUBQB.jpg

qwKRRUk.jpg

If anyone could give me any help/answers/advice at all it would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

For just getting started these are great as a whole. Some individual criticism for each piece, although maybe take it with a grain of salt because I'm no professional:

1. Ohio against the World: I would lower the opacity of the map behind them, it seems to just kind of overtake the entire image. Other than that, I think it's fairly solid.

2. Duke Johnson: I love this one. I really like the symmetry of the different parts, and the only nitpick I have is to maybe play with a shadow underneath Duke of some sort. For me, it's just a simple suggestion but I think it would really enhance the image.

3. Dawg Pound: Truthfully, I think this one is perfection. I love the depth with the players in between the two different letterings, and the signatures are a nice touch. Would not change a thing about that one.

3. Cornerstone: I like this one as well. The dorm in the background is a great touch, and the simplicity of the design is what makes it so great.

4. LeBron: Again, very solid. I would maybe try moving LeBron up higher, and fading the entire image to white in order to be able to see the Finals logo. I love the texture and all the other design elements, but just a few adjustments would really make this a great design.

These are all great starts, and I think you have a great talent that you can build off of.

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 7:10 PM, bbush24 said:

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback and agree with all of it.

Iyou've got the idea in your head and put it to paper, so to speak, much better than most people just starting out. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived