does the Colts' striping inconsistency bother you?

_RH_

2 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

I like it!

*shrugs*

How is a single stripe on the shoulders truly any different from an idea standpoint than the crescent shape the Texans wear? I think both the middle and right photos are far superior to the Colts’ current look.

I think the issue is that it’s just blocked off at the end. The Texans’ design is wedged into the shoulder seam, which looks more elegant and purposefully designed. Personally, I think all shoulder designs should be done that way. Running the stripes into the seam at a slight angle is the best way to replicate the proper look of a shoulder stripe being gathered under the arm:

0*KjGwfBp_3mmyq6MG.jpg

Here’s that exact technique modeled perfectly on Johnny himself. Perfect balance of truncating the stripe while maintaining the illusion that it wraps all the way around when the arms are down or up. It’s a much better solution than blocking the stripes off at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Buc said:

Not to jack the thread, but I took a stab at this solution once, several moons ago...

chiBEARS_stylebook2.png

From this thread, long since locked. If the Bears were to ever make any kind of update to their uniform, that's about the only way I could see them going about it. (And why did I not do any player models for that concept???) Oh--and there's "consistency" here with the striping as well. :)

Oh and...I did one of those for the Colts, as well...

Thats a great look as well. I think they could still get by and maintain a lot of design continuity by going with a solid white C (something they’ve done in the past), keeping the current sleeve stripes on both sets, and combining those with the solid-colored numbers that you’ve shown here. Either way, though, people be flippin’ out. 😂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

But aren’t their current stripes also “blocked off” at the end? (It still technically runs into a seam based on a modified version of the Vapor Untouchable, but so then would a single stripe)

They are. I think it’s serviceable because the full stripe design takes up a larger amount of space and we’re used to seeing it done that way for decades now. No one’s ever done a blocked off single stripe (to my knowledge), so it looks odd to see it that way. Both patterns, though, I think look better wedged into the shoulder seam, as demonstrated by Houston and that old pic of Johnny U.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

They are. I think it’s serviceable because the full stripe design takes up a larger amount of space and we’re used to seeing it done that way for decades now.

That’s fair, but I do wonder how a single stripe would be viewed if it was something that has been done for decades instead. Would we question the addition of extra stripes and consider it too bulky? A single stripe is certainly outside of the norm, but it would also be unique, yet classy — and I’m all for something outside of typical design standards and expectations if you can achieve such a balance.

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

Both patterns, though, I think look better wedged into the shoulder seam, as demonstrated by Houston and that old pic of Johnny U.

That said, I agree with you on this. It’s just unfortunate the original intent of the stripes is not the result we get on today’s template (no matter where the fault lies). I appreciate the discourse! 

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

And then there's this...

ncaa-football-california-at-ucla-a95a7e5

This is the most common way that design has attempted to fix the visual shortcomings of blocked off stripes. It certainly works well when the players’ arms are at their sides, and while it is unquestionably better, to me it just scoots the problem down a little lower. I’d even argue that the conglomeration of seams and panels under the arm is not only just as ugly, but probably not very comfortable, either. UCLA’s new stripes actually feel a little narrow to me as well, and I’ll take it to the grave that this jersey would look better if the stripes were wedged and tapered into the shoulder seam like Johnny’s.

15 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

great minds think alike :D

nCZ4tgh.jpg

Why change the pants to add white between orange and blue when you've removed them from the Jersey striping? You just inverted the problem. The old white pants would seem to be a better fit. Especially when you have no sock stripe to work with.

16 hours ago, Buc said:

Not to jack the thread, but I took a stab at this solution once, several moons ago...

chiBEARS_stylebook2.png

From this thread, long since locked. If the Bears were to ever make any kind of update to their uniform, that's about the only way I could see them going about it. (And why did I not do any player models for that concept???) Oh--and there's "consistency" here with the striping as well. :)

Oh and...I did one of those for the Colts, as well...

The home set works well here, but the triple orange stripes on white doesn't have the same boldness as the old away stripe. And I have the same issue with the away pants as above. I see no reason for doing o/w/o striping on blue when there's no other instances of it anywhere else on either set.

Back to the Colts, I think what they have is in a weird spot, the helmet with its single blue stripe only matches the home Jersey and nothing else. Changing it to a double stripe then raises an issue with the home; do you consider a color flip (double blue on white>double white on blue) to be matching? Should they make their shoulder striping a single white stripe, technically b/w/b in the context of the original helmet/home Jersey?

Personally, I think a single white stripe on the shoulder feels too petite looking in it's current placement. I would advocate for a triple white shoulder stripe. It would feel more bold visually and still reads as a double blue stripe in the negative space.

I really liked Michigan's bumble bee striping jerseys Adidas made several years back and I think the Colts having a triple striped blue jersey could have a similar feel to them.

I promise I ain't trying to jack the thread, but...

INDcolts_stylebook2.png

...just for curiosity's sake.

Now mind you, this concept is eight or nine years old, and back then I was more about "trimmings" than overall function--which is another way of saying thst looking at this now I'm not so sold on the blue collar and cuff trim on the roads--but I still feel like it adds a little something a la Penn State to the homes. Just the same, it'd do well without contrasting collar/cuffs on either set.

(The one thing I should've tested out then was white socks with double-blue stripes, just to see how it'd look.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

21 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think the issue is that it’s just blocked off at the end. The Texans’ design is wedged into the shoulder seam, which looks more elegant and purposefully designed. Personally, I think all shoulder designs should be done that way. Running the stripes into the seam at a slight angle is the best way to replicate the proper look of a shoulder stripe being gathered under the arm:

0*KjGwfBp_3mmyq6MG.jpg

Interesting how the stripes here are basically part of the sleeve, and truncate where they run into the torso.. if done today, they'd almost certainly go the opposite route (which seems like it might actually work better)..

40 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i love the Baltimore execution but i dont think there's enough sleeve on the Vapor Untouchable to pull it off. the stripes currently sit on the outside of the seam

andrew-luck.jpg

You’d just have to alter the base pattern a little. No big deal.

1029964072.jpeg&c=sc&w=3200&h=2134

Instead of running that seam directly into the armhole cuff (creating a sleeve cap), you’d want to run it all the way around and underneath the armhole cuff. Then you just angle the stripes right into it. If you want the number under the stripe, you may just have to scoot the seam in toward the neckline if the stripes are wider like the Colts.’

If the Colts actually wore the Vapor Untouchable template, they’d probably use the same modified template as the Patriots’ color rush or Bengals’ uniforms (because of the contrasting yoke).

That said, the Vapor Untouchable is probably the most design-friendly template there is. They could conceivably add seams to make stripes all the way around the sleeves if they really wanted to — or apply stripes in the same way they would most other sleeve stripes rather than sewing them into the fabric. 

15 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

If the Colts actually wore the Vapor Untouchable template, they’d probably use the same modified template as the Patriots’ color rush or Bengals’ uniforms (because of the contrasting yoke).

That said, the Vapor Untouchable is probably the most design-friendly template there is. They could conceivably add seams to make stripes all the way around the sleeves if they really wanted to — or apply stripes in the same way they would most other sleeve stripes rather than sewing them into the fabric. 

They would wear the Jets’ template with the sleeve caps the same color as the body; the Jets’ Color Rush jersey in blue, essentially.

Physically wrapping the stripes all the way around would be difficult because today’s tighter fits remove a lot of real estate from the jersey. You’d probably run the risk of having two-digit numbers nearly touch the stripes on either side, especially on smaller sizes. If you look at the image below and imagine the stripes continuing down, you can see how they’ll nearly clip the corners of the numbers.

usa_today_10387793.0.jpg

I actually don’t like the look of the full wrap-around. I think the way the stripe pinches under the arm looks kinda clumsy and cheap (just as the blocked off stripes do).

maxresdefault.jpg

I think tapering them into the seam as previously discussed is the most elegant technique because it gives the illusion of the full wrap (it sort of implies the stripe is pinching under and wrapping around), but in a much cleaner and more controlled design.

0*QfdnMHfeHq3XtFgd.jpg

Below is another interesting shot. I think you could feasibly achieve something similar to this by simply cutting the stripe insert into a wedge shape like USC’s shoulder panel. Either way, I think the secret to getting it looking good is finding a way to get that tapered end to the stripes rather than the straight blocked end.

1200px-1967_Johnny_Unitas.jpeg

20 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

They would wear the Jets’ template with the sleeve caps the same color as the body; the Jets’ Color Rush jersey in blue, essentially.

Which is the exact same thing as the Patriots’ Color Rush, as I mentioned, just with different color stripes. I was just giving two examples of a modified template created with a design on the shoulders in mind, not mentioning everyone that uses said template. 

Physically wrapping the stripes all the way around would be difficult because today’s tighter fits remove a lot of real estate from the jersey. You’d probably run the risk of having two-digit numbers nearly touch the stripes on either side, especially on smaller sizes. If you look at the image below and imagine the stripes continuing down, you can see how they’ll nearly clip the corners of the numbers.

usa_today_10387793.0.jpg

In my mind, though, you’re slowly making the stripes smaller as they come down to a point. Think about some of the Carolina Panthers’ uniforms (Cam Newton, for example) or how the Houston Rockets’ jerseys looked prior to the Nike takeover. I don’t think it would look any worse than LSU, Ole Miss or UCLA’s attempts — though using a smaller/thinner number font would help alleviate any potential issues there.

Let’s also consider the photo below. The reason those stripes work is because they’re actually inside what would now be the sleeve cap and then taper off into that seam. Indianapolis, New York and New England (color rush) all have UCLA stripes on the shoulders, which — if we’re being entirely truthful — is an entirely different kind of stripe. There also isn’t room for the old way on the current templates, especially with TV numbers. To get your desired effect, you’d have to either eliminate the TV numbers or move them to the shoulder — though coming to the understanding that today’s uniforms simply don’t allow for the Colts to look as they were initially intended is probably the route to go. 

I actually don’t like the look of the full wrap-around. I think the way the stripe pinches under the arm looks kinda clumsy and cheap (just as the blocked off stripes do).

maxresdefault.jpg

0*QfdnMHfeHq3XtFgd.jpg

1200px-1967_Johnny_Unitas.jpeg

In 2013 Nebraska's double stripe design moved closer to the shoulders (as opposed to the traditional sleeve stripes) as a result of a change to the latest Adidas template at the time. I thought it was a great look and probably the best option for handling the shoulder stripe design. 

TaylorMartinez.png?itok=dWhVHvwl

20130101_jel_sd9_188.0.jpg

For comparison, Wisconsin and UCLA during the same season:

big-ten-championship-nebraska-v-20121201

1379188482000-USATSI-7432259.jpg?width=5

I realize the Nike template doesn't offer the same opportunities but this is still the best alternative option in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Bmac said:

In 2013 Nebraska's double stripe design moved closer to the shoulders (as opposed to the traditional sleeve stripes) as a result of a change to the latest Adidas template at the time. I thought it was a great look and probably the best option for handling the shoulder stripe design. 

TaylorMartinez.png?itok=dWhVHvwl

20130101_jel_sd9_188.0.jpg

For comparison, Wisconsin and UCLA during the same season:

big-ten-championship-nebraska-v-20121201

1379188482000-USATSI-7432259.jpg?width=5

I realize the Nike template doesn't offer the same opportunities but this is still the best alternative option in my opinion.

That’s probably the worst way shoulder stripes have ever been applied was adidas’ tech fit option.

11 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

Which is the exact same thing as the Patriots’ Color Rush, as I mentioned, just with different color stripes. I was just giving two examples of a modified template created with a design on the shoulders in mind, not mentioning everyone that uses said template. 

In my mind, though, you’re slowly making the stripes smaller as they come down to a point. Think about some of the Carolina Panthers’ uniforms (Cam Newton, for example) or how the Houston Rockets’ jerseys looked prior to the Nike takeover. I don’t think it would look any worse than LSU, Ole Miss or UCLA’s attempts — though using a smaller/thinner number font would help alleviate any potential issues there.

Let’s also consider the photo below. The reason those stripes work is because they’re actually inside what would now be the sleeve cap and then taper off into that seam. Indianapolis, New York and New England (color rush) all have UCLA stripes on the shoulders, which — if we’re being entirely truthful — is an entirely different kind of stripe. There also isn’t room for the old way on the current templates, especially with TV numbers. To get your desired effect, you’d have to either eliminate the TV numbers or move them to the shoulder — though coming to the understanding that today’s uniforms simply don’t allow for the Colts to look as they were initially intended is probably the route to go. 

My fault. I didn’t see you noted Color Rush there when talking about the Patriots.

It’s good to bring up Cam’s tapered insert here. The way the blocked off shoulder loops are typically made is with a rib-knit strip that’s inserted into the yoke panel. Because the stripes on the strip are knit, though, you’re stuck starting with straight, uniform width stripes. To achieve a physical taper to the width of the stripes under the arm, the stripe insert needs to be sewn together from multiple pieces of fabric (this is how Carolina does it), or you could print the stripes on the fabric insert before it’s cut and assembled (this is how all sleeve stripes except Pittsburgh’s are done, I believe). As mentioned before, I simply don’t prefer the look of the stripes pinching under the arm, but the bigger issue is that it’s a much less efficient and much more difficult pattern to create, especially across a range of sizes. The block stripe is very simple and efficient by comparison, because the stripe panel is always the same shape and inserted in the same location. The length from front to back is the only potential variable when creating the size range (that’s a big reason why it’s a popular solution).

As far as shoulder vs. sleeve stripe, you’re right that the construction is different, and moving the stripe into the footprint of the current sleeve panel leaves no room underneath for numbers and such. That’s what I’m getting at when I describe altering the base pattern. You’d essentially be leaving the shoulder loops where they are, but extending the sleeve panel to envelop them and then angling the stripe panel into that relocated seam. The stripes wouldn’t really move, but they would be part of the sleeve panel rather than the yoke panel and they would sit at a slight angle (like the old ones did) rather than vertically.

You got me thinking, though. Maybe it’s better to move the shoulder stripes down toward the top of the sleeve panel and shift the numbers up to the shoulders. I generally dislike the idea of numbers above shoulder loops, but if you look at that Jets player up there, you can see that numbers and a logo together are pretty cramped. Maybe it’s time to reserve the sleeve for just stripes and manufacturer logos, moving all the numbers to the shoulders.

So if all that's true, how is it the UCLA is currently pulling off what appears to be stripes that end in the arm pit and a on-sleeve TV number? IMO the Bruins current version of those stripes is by far the best looking one this century, and it's not even close. The Colts' and Jets' awkward cut-off versions have always looked embarrassingly half-assed. 

Pickett_LucierSouth_Lake_20180901_FB_SC0

vs...

640Luck032916.jpg

Seriously?  This is a question?

Honestly, if someone were to tell me they preferred the second picture to the first, part of me would be questioning if I was just being lied to.  It's incomprehensible to me.

Archived