does the Colts' striping inconsistency bother you?

_RH_

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So if all that's true, how is it the UCLA is currently pulling off what appears to be stripes that end in the arm pit and a on-sleeve TV number? IMO the Bruins current version of those stripes is by far the best looking one this century, and it's not even close. The Colts' and Jets' awkward cut-off versions have always looked embarrassingly half-assed. 

Pickett_LucierSouth_Lake_20180901_FB_SC0

vs...

640Luck032916.jpg

Seriously?  This is a question?

Honestly, if someone were to tell me they preferred the second picture to the first, part of me would be questioning if I was just being lied to.  It's incomprehensible to me.

They’re constructed similarly. UCLA’s stripes are a little thinner, and because the inner edge of the stripe panel runs straight into the edge of the jersey’s side insert, you’re able to extend the stripe panel below the yoke seam. The stripe there is actually part of the side insert rather than part of the yoke panel. It’s essentially this with a side insert:

unitas-johnny-6.jpg?53883

Aesthetically, I still think it looks clunky where it starts to bunch and distort under the arm, and blocking it off farther down is still blocking it off. If I was going to argue it, I’d say that while UCLA’s jersey is more in tune with the spirit of the original design, the Colts’ jersey is a cleaner, more purposeful design because it effectively separates the design elements while maximizing efficiency and function in the build and fit. I think the solutions I’m trying to describe would be the best of both; clean design that also evokes the sprit of classic shoulder loops. I guess what I’m getting at is if I have to truncate the stripes by force, I’d choose to either do it as elegantly as possible (my suggestion) or just clean it up all the way (Colts). UCLA looks fine, but the in-between approach to solving the problem isn’t optimum to me.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

They’re constructed similarly. UCLA’s stripes are a little thinner, and because the inner edge of the stripe panel runs straight into the edge of the jersey’s side insert, you’re able to extend the stripe panel below the yoke seam. The stripe there is actually part of the side insert rather than part of the yoke panel. It’s essentially this with a side insert:

unitas-johnny-6.jpg?53883

Aesthetically, I still think it looks clunky where it starts to bunch and distort under the arm, and blocking it off farther down is still blocking it off. If I was going to argue it, I’d say that while UCLA’s jersey is more in tune with the spirit of the original design, the Colts’ jersey is a cleaner, more purposeful design because it effectively separates the design elements while maximizing efficiency and function in the build and fit. I think the solutions I’m trying to describe would be the best of both; clean design that also evokes the sprit of classic shoulder loops. I guess what I’m getting at is if I have to truncate the stripes by force, I’d choose to either do it as elegantly as possible (my suggestion) or just clean it up all the way (Colts). UCLA looks fine, but the in-between approach to solving the problem isn’t optimum to me.

I've suggested a solution to this issue before, and I maintain that it would still be the most aesthetically pleasing as well as reduce manufacturing issues.. 

UCLA is close to pulling it off currently, but the way they handle the stripe at the bottom is were I differ.. they seem to be following the seam were the side insert meets the torso - which causes the stripe to deviate away from the armpit at the bottom.. instead, they should semi-follow the seam of were the cuff and side insert meet, but allow the stripe insert to basically overlap where the cuff should be, so that's where you'll get the taper.. also, UCLA appears to have their stripe insert sewn on top of the cuff, which creates a bit of extra material at the base of that first white stripe, which also looks a bit worse.. the cuff should be added after the stripe insert and cover that portion of the insert..

Essentially, in my solution, the outer stripe and middle stripe would ultimately taper and truncate where they run into the sleeve cap or cuff (similar-ish to the Texans' shoulder stripe, but preserve a bit more uniform width).. the inner stripe would possibly survive intact all the way around the armpit, but that's about all.. 

It's basically just the opposite of how the Johnny Unitas jersey is tapered into the torso in the pictures earlier in the thread.. instead of the stripes being part of the sleeve and tapering where they meet the torso, I'd make them part of the torso and have them taper where they meet the sleeve/cuff.. it really seems like a simple enough solution.. 

On 1/14/2019 at 9:10 PM, Mingjai said:

I have no problem with the different striping schemes for home versus away. But I’m a Blackhawks fan, so what do I know.

I guess in my mind the difference is that football elements (stripes on pants, helmets) get repeated more often on home and road looks.  Hockey helmets, jerseys, and socks are either home or road, not either.  The breezers do get repeated, but usually the focus doesn't seem to be there.  IMO the Blackhawks having different striping patterns home and road is fine; their big inconsistency is addressed below:

e9ypli.jpg

I hear ya @oldschoolvikings but I have to agree with Andrew, I don’t think UA/UCLA has solved this problem. The way the bottom of the stripe gets crunched, twisted...even sewn into the cuff?? And is that contrast stitching?? I don’t feel like the jersey is really respecting the element enough, though i don’t think there is a perfect solution. This is an element designed for a vastly different thing being shoehorned into another thing. 

I’m having A bit of a hard time seeing what @andrewharrington is suggesting on the modern cuts; if you have the time to sketch something up, I’d love to see it. I’m just not sure I’m getting it right in my head

but there’s such limited room for the swoosh, numbers, stripe...I kind of feel the current stripe might be the best option. I like that it cuts parallel to the top of the number without crowding them, same on the backside, how they come over the shoulder (or should come over the shoulder) in a symmetrical, balanced manner. I definitely don’t think they should be caddywampus on the jersey, not only for balance but something, swoosh or number, has to move as you move the stripe

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

30 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Have to agree with Andrew, I don’t think UA/UCLA has solved this problem. The way the bottom of the stripe gets crunched, twisted...even sewn into the cuff?? And is that contrast stitching?? I don’t feel like the jersey is really respecting the element enough, it’s not as bad as the Panthers. It’s like they don’t even care at all, but it’s not resolved. though i don’t think there is a perfect solution. This is an element designed for a vastly different thing being shoehorned into another thing. 

I’m having A bit of a hard time seeing what @andrewharrington is suggesting on the modern cuts; if you have the time to sketch something up, I’d love to see it. I’m just not sure I’m getting it right in my head

but there’s such limited room for the swoosh, numbers, stripe...I kind of feel the current stripe might be the best option. I like that it cuts parallel to the top of the number without crowding them, same on the backside, how they come over the shoulder (or should come over the shoulder) in a symmetrical, balanced manner. I definitely don’t think they should be caddywampus on the jersey, not only for balance but something, swoosh or number, has to move as you move the stripe

Currently, swoosh and sleeve number both occupy a standard sleeve fairly harmoniously (when other elements get added, real estate gets very limited VERY quickly), but a standard number and swoosh can easily work on a sleeve.. so my solution leaves the sleeve unaltered.. my solution focuses on the torso of the jersey.. 

Using the UCLA/UA version as the example, if they just wrapped the stripes more around the arm, and trimmed the white stripe instead of stitching it onto the cuff, it would be a near perfect solution in my opinion.. 

This might be one for the unpopular opinions thread but I prefer the way modern uniforms cut off the Colts' stripes than the older style.

The UCLA ones posted above still cut off at an arbitrary spot, but the Colts' cut off keeps the stripes bold and not crinkled up at the bottom, as well as flowing better with the uniform overall.

Other than "that's how it used to be done" I don't see how the stripes wrapping all the way around looks better or is the "correct" way to do things.  I think the Colts current stripes look infinitely better than the early versions of their uniforms where it wrapped around or truncated into a seam under the armpit

On 1/18/2019 at 7:24 PM, AndrewMLind said:

I like it!

*shrugs*

How is a single stripe on the shoulders truly any different from an idea standpoint than the crescent shape the Texans wear? I think both the middle and right photos are far superior to the Colts’ current look.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:15 PM, andrewharrington said:

I think the issue is that it’s just blocked off at the end. The Texans’ design is wedged into the shoulder seam, which looks more elegant and purposefully designed. Personally, I think all shoulder designs should be done that way. Running the stripes into the seam at a slight angle is the best way to replicate the proper look of a shoulder stripe being gathered under the arm:

0*KjGwfBp_3mmyq6MG.jpg

I agree with this.  The difference is the blocked end of the Colts' current stripes.

15 hours ago, lbj273 said:

Other than "that's how it used to be done" I don't see how the stripes wrapping all the way around looks better or is the "correct" way to do things.  I think the Colts current stripes look infinitely better than the early versions of their uniforms where it wrapped around or truncated into a seam under the armpit

The thing to keep in mind is that the Colts uniforms are trying to emulate/follow a uniform where the stripes did wrap all the way around.  I believe "how it used to be done" is relevant to considering the quality of the look now because the jerseys are, in theory, supposed to be unchanged.  The line from Johnny Unitas to Andrew Luck is supposed to be unbroken (minus the period in the 80s with a silver stripe in the middle on the road jerseys and the change of the number font somewhere along the way).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 1/20/2019 at 12:18 PM, WavePunter said:

I've kinda illustrated my point here, albeit crudely.. but it's not difficult to see how following the sleeve seam and running into the cuff could work pretty well..

LSUshoulderLoops.thumb.jpg.1f39a5ced836c354b890e0fc66c21bb5.jpg

I don’t love the little curve into the armpit/cuff area, but that’s a pretty minute nitpick. I think it’s a nice look. My biggest concern would be how crowded the front looks with two full digits, especially on a team like the Colts, whose numbers are wider.

4 hours ago, mbannon92 said:

@andrewharrington is something like this what you're envisioning? Essentially what @WavePunter did in the LSU mockup above, but tapered at the bottom. I agree that this would be the most ideal solution for the UCLA stripe.

qYaewDC.png

Thats definitely on the right track, but I think I’d try to angle the stripes a little more in an effort to free up as much room as possible for the numbers. I’ll try to get a sketch together this week.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

43 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I don’t love the little curve into the armpit/cuff area, but that’s a pretty minute nitpick. I think it’s a nice look. My biggest concern would be how crowded the front looks with two full digits, especially on a team like the Colts, whose numbers are wider.

Thats definitely on the right track, but I think I’d try to angle the stripes a little more in an effort to free up as much room as possible for the numbers. I’ll try to get a sketch together this week.

Yeah, it's a crude sketch.. but the bonus is that it's made from a real, existing template and follows actual seams, etc.. I think kinda illustrates that it's at least doable.. I also think narrowing the stripes ever-so-slightly (similar to UCLA) would help the situation as well..

Archived