2018-19 NBA Season - New and improved!

DG_ThenNowForever

Unless you're suggesting that they astroturfed the union's disapproval of the cap-smoothing proposal, what did they do that was underhanded? They just gave Durant the best situation because of a onetime glitch that owners didn't want in the first place.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CS85 said:

I get it, the Knicks FO is a wet, sloppy fire-barrel of rat feces, but god damn.  The same old song and dance of

1.  Talented player goes to franchise that basically tanked in order to acquire said player

2.  Talented player proves that he is indeed talented

3.  Team doesn't win much right away

4.  Talented player demands trade to Lakers, Warriors, or next best thing

gets so, so tedious.  NOBODY wants to waste their primes playing for a loser, and as somebody who keeps their ear to the ground regarding the hapless, woeful Chicago Bulls, I know more than most what it feels like to follow a franchise that has lost its way, but fix the goddamn CBA.  The max contract thing failed - reframe it, incentivize the HELL out of staying, perhaps even to the point where the player gets a stake in ownership or a percentage vote in all player acquisitions, etc. 

Not every :censored: ing all-star should get to take their ball and go home whenever their teams are currently bad.

Are the "hapless, woeful Chicago Bulls" not the same franchise that made the playoffs a whole two years ago, and is on every free agent's "list of teams they're willing to play for" because they liked Michael Jordan growing up? The Bulls have it so much better than any other rebuilding team right now because they are a big name team in a big market that will give that player a ton of media attention (because they'll be the only superstar on a huge team). Them, the Lakers, the Celtics, and the Knicks are the only teams that get that type of treatment from players, even when they're terrible. Being a small-market team that's rebuilding, like the Kings, is a much worse place to be in because not only are you bad, but any big name player that goes there won't get any attention outside of said small market.

ExJworW.png

Also kind of hilarious that Dallas spent 4x as much time pursuing DeAndre Jordan as they did actually employing him. Oh well! Can't say I blame them, they got Porzingis for a song. He and Doncic are a nice duo to build around and sure do fit the Mavs brand. Looking forward to another decade of first round exits with one fluky championship thrown in.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

Not that this is any revelation to anyone, but the Knicks are so goddamn dumb it almost hurts. 

I'm not sure if the Knicks got the best out of Porzingis already.

While he is only 23, he played declining games in all four seasons.

2015-16: 72 games

2016-17: 66

2017-18: 48

2018-19: ?

We really haven't seen any 7 foot-3 dudes tearing ACLs and coming back from one.  He's had issues with his left leg for a while including missing games due to his his left Achilles, left groin, and left leg.

Porzingis is a Restricted FA this offseason, and will likely only sign the Qualifying Offer, play that season then hit Unrestricted FA after the 2019-20 season

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Unless you're suggesting that they astroturfed the union's disapproval of the cap-smoothing proposal, what did they do that was underhanded? They just gave Durant the best situation because of a onetime glitch that owners didn't want in the first place.

The Warriors were best positioned to sign Durant and they did. They had that position because Steph was miraculously underpaid due to an earlier ankle injury, Harrison Barnes was coming off their books, and yes, the union stupidly voted for the cap jump instead smoothing.

And that what jump did was allow the death star Warriors, got huge contracts for Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, Tyler Johnson and that's about it, and nuked the free agent market for the next few years.

The NBPA totally screwed up the off-season of 2016 and Adam Silver shouldn't have let them.

And yes, I know that sounds bad from a pro-union guy, but the problems with what they were doing were super obvious then and have all been realized. Plus, for all of the owners efforts to keep players with their original teams (the supermax), it isn't really working out.

The 2016 bump borked the NBA for about five years and it's a real shame.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Also the cap space this creates for the Knicks is great but... is there a better second option than an admittedly injury-prone Porzingis? If you're Durant are you confident that the Knicks will put that second max slot to good use? 

Salary dumping the best draft pick you’ve made in 30 years to chase free agents sure sounds like solid team building strategy. Good God the Knicks always manage to look semi-competent for a couple of years before the gut punch comes and it gets worse and worse each  time. Next time Dolan calls a fan criticizing him an alcoholic Adam Silver should pounce on the opportunity  and Sterling him out of the league. Would probably set another record for franchise valuation 

as an aside, moving the trade deadline up has made the NBA dominate the sports conversation in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.  I’m sure the NFL is really chuffed about that

07Giants.pngnyy.png

54 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

Salary dumping the best draft pick you’ve made in 30 years to chase free agents sure sounds like solid team building strategy. Good God the Knicks always manage to look semi-competent for a couple of years before the gut punch comes and it gets worse and worse each  time. Next time Dolan calls a fan criticizing him an alcoholic Adam Silver should pounce on the opportunity  and Sterling him out of the league. Would probably set another record for franchise valuation 

as an aside, moving the trade deadline up has made the NBA dominate the sports conversation in the week leading up to the Super Bowl.  I’m sure the NFL is really chuffed about that

He wasn't going to return and sign long term.

3 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

He wasn't going to return and sign long term.

I’ll believe someone coming off an ACL tear and other injury issues leaving nine figures on the table to play a year on a 6 million contract and betting on himself when it actually happens 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

7 minutes ago, anythinglogos said:

I’ll believe someone coming off an ACL tear and other injury issues leaving nine figures on the table to play a year on a 6 million contract and betting on himself when it actually happens 

He and his brother wanted out of NYC.  Heck, he's not even being looked at by the Knicks training staff regarding his rehab.  In the NBA, you cannot have a high profile player acting up on your roster, injured or not. Trading him now, also makes sure that team who does offer him a RFA contract don't seem him playing this year in a Kincks uniform. 

Queue my face palm when the Knicks inevitably fall just short of the #1 pick and also whiff on Durant.

I mean, it's like they're the 2000s Bucks, good things can't happen to them without the inevitable self inflicted gunshot.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

LeBron comes back and the Lakers win in OT, with Make Em Dance Lance carrying the team.

James plays again, and the young guys are back on the bench. Sorry Zubac. :(

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

"Kyrie Irving has shifted from his commitment to re-signing with the Celtics: “I don’t owe anybody :censored:.”"

It feels like we've had an astounding amount of player movement in the past year. This would be wonderful.

PJU85JF.png

23 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think this is just Kyrie being Kyrie, but someday karma is going to come back to bite the Celtics FO and it's gonna be ugly.

Players remember things, and I don't anybody in the league like what happened with IT. Or maybe their karma was already realized with the ghost of Gordon Hayward.

Boston had a great run. It would be hilarious is they bottom out next year while Brooklyn gets a top East seed.

That's true about Hayward -- fun to see his name pop up in trade discussions as if anyone's leaping at the chance to pay him $30 mil right now. My hot take is that Hayward's a very good player but was never worth a max contract even before injury, but it seems the market had set that one, not just Boston. They have too much talent to really bottom out even if Kyrie walks for nothing, but "inconsistently feisty team stuck at the ECF" might be their plateau either way, as long as their star wing is busted.

Anyway, it was nice for Boston to be a "basketball town" for a year or two there.

Archived