Logo upgrades that were actually UPGRADES

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/8/2019 at 12:06 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

And that GD swollen talon and squat wings...I frankly hate that thing. They could’ve done a much better job of updating the original (and the original did need updating, yes).

For example, I love this concept by @LogoFan . It’s my favorite attempt at updating the original I’ve seen yet:

Falcons_Release_090117.gif.ee6baa841e47e

I might have “swooped” it a little more to give it some speed, but this is still just about everything I wish Atlanta had done instead of energy drink bird.

Wow that 2017 concept is miles better than the robo bird.

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Small details matter.  A lot.

They do, indeed.

Case in point. I've seen plenty of issues debated regarding the design of Austin FC's logo. The one that stands out to me? It drives me crazy that the "FC" within the mark is rendered in green. I feel that it would be a much stronger mark if the "FC" were white. To my mind, within the logo, it makes sense for all of the letters in the team's name - "AUSTIN  FC" - to be rendered in the same color. This would also allow the tree design element to stand on its own.  

55 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

In my opinion, the current Columbus Crew logo is a vast improvement over the badge that the team first sported. I see it as having a feel that harkens to a badge design one might find in the German Bundesliga, which is fitting given the importance of Germanic culture to the city's history. Further, I don't regard it as the least bit derivative when compared to the logos of other MLS franchises.

This is a really good point, as someone from the midwest who went to school in Columbus. Columbus' German Village is one of its best areas, including one of their more iconic (for Columbus) restaurants, Schmidt's. By paying homage to clubs like Bayern Munich, there's some regional flair and personality that the other logo lacked (even though it literally had people on it). 

Apologies for taking this off topic even further, but Columbus has one of the nation’s best culinary scenes. Huge test market for chains, plenty of food trucks and lots of local restaurants whose brands have grown exponentially or remained hidden gems. If any of you are ever in town, feel free to reach out and we’ll meet up somewhere! 

That said, everything about the Crew’s current logo is an upgrade (should note I was not a fan of the addition of “SC”, though I understand why it happened). Having the city name is important, especially for residents. The colors stand out from the rest of the league and are much clearer than in the original logo. The founding year was a nice touch, as was the checkerboard pattern for the fans in the Nordecke. 

I don’t think it’s unfair to say the original logo looked like clipart or unbecoming of a professional sports franchise, no matter how appropriate it seemed given the constant construction around Columbus.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:09 AM, AndrewMLind said:

Apologies for taking this off topic even further, but Columbus has one of the nation’s best culinary scenes. Huge test market for chains, plenty of food trucks and lots of local restaurants whose brands have grown exponentially or remained hidden gems. If any of you are ever in town, feel free to reach out and we’ll meet up somewhere! 

That said, everything about the Crew’s current logo is an upgrade (should note I was not a fan of the addition of “SC”, though I understand why it happened). Having the city name is important, especially for residents. The colors stand out from the rest of the league and are much clearer than in the original logo. The founding year was a nice touch, as was the checkerboard pattern for the fans in the Nordecke. 

I don’t think it’s unfair to say the original logo looked like clipart or unbecoming of a professional sports franchise, no matter how appropriate it seemed given the constant construction around Columbus.

Columbus is awesome. Just wanted to say that. I am a 2-time Ohio State grad and work in Columbus now. Good restaurants EVERYWHERE. Interesting places. Also very easy to drive in, unlike many big cities.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

On 1/8/2019 at 5:58 PM, Gothamite said:

Or maybe a red beak, since that's what Cardinals have.

where-can-i-buy-a-red-cardinal-bird.jpg

If they wanted a gold beak, they could have used the Desert Cardinal:

4.+pyrhuloxia-kab.JPG

And hey, look!  Very marketable gray as a secondary color.  ;) 

This has come up on the boards before, and I suggested Pantone Warm Gray 6CP. It's a pretty close match to the bird, and it's a color they could own like the Bucs used to own pewter.

SUoUfZo_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

On 1/14/2019 at 11:29 AM, cwilz305 said:

Before the Miami Dolphins dropped the ball in 2012, the logo was going through major upgrades. I say that their 1997-2012 logo was their best upgrade.

https://sportslogohistory.com/miami-dolphins-primary-logo

Did you really post a link from a logo site other than sportslogos.net (the mothership)?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:02 PM, daniel75 said:

Wow that 2017 concept is miles better than the robo bird.

I agree with you, hate the modern Falcons logo and this concept is a good compromise with the old, rather stiff logo. But, that split tail is bugging me.

4 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Tons of good upgrades in the college ranks.  Here's just a few:

Clemson Tigers (1970 - 1976)Clemson Tigers (1977 - Pres)

Arizona Wildcats (1972 - 1976)Arizona Wildcats (1990 - Pres)

Baylor Bears (1997 - 2004)Baylor Bears (2005 - Pres)

Miami Hurricanes (1965 - 1971)Miami Hurricanes (1972 - Pres)

St. John's Red Storm (2002 - 2003)St. John's Red Storm (2007 - Pres)

My brain KNOWS that first Saint John’s logo is ugly as sin... but my heart is telling me the same it told me about the navy/red Iowa State cardinal-in-a-cyclone logo. Something about that color scheme is intriguing, it’d be interesting if a school ran with that scheme again.

Archived