Mastercard Unveils New Wordless Logo

hettinger_rl

seems long over due really. those circles are incredibly iconic— no one will mistake this mark for any other brand. and think of the context where you see it; on signs with other credit card companies, ATMs, the cards themselves, title screens of ads, print... you'll never see this in action and not know what brand it is. good to see a logo (recently updated and optimized) getting its due

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 12:33 PM, BrandMooreArt said:

seems long over due really. those circles are incredibly iconic— no one will mistake this mark for any other brand. and think of the context where you see it; on signs with other credit card companies, ATMs, the cards themselves, title screens of ads, print... you'll never see this in action and not know what brand it is. good to see a logo (recently updated and optimized) getting its due

I agree on the iconic status of the logo. It's similar to when Nike dropped their name from the swoosh. It became so iconic it wasn't necessary anymore.

Agreed.  Far from being “bland”, this is an immediately recognizable logo, simple but very elegant. 

Its also a perfect culmination of everything they’ve been working towards since almost the beginning:

mastercard-new-logo-graphic-design-itsni

Doesn’t need words, although I didn’t mind the version with a wordmark.

I love it.

Completely agree with @Gothamite and @BrandMooreArt that this logo is so iconic that it doesn't need a wordmark. And by removing the wordmark, they've elevated the logo to explicitly convey that it's so iconic that anyone would recognize it without any words spelling out what it stands for. The removal of the wordmark forces the logo to stand on its own, and carry the work of telling customers "this is MasterCard." Look at how the logo works in the applications shown above - it's far more powerful when it stands on its own, rather than having a wordmark beneath it carry the load of telling customers that it stands for MasterCard.

I have a feeling this was always the end goal of the 2016 rebrand - to separate the wordmark from the logo so that the simple circles themselves would be recognizable without any text (considering that 2016 was the first time the circles were portrayed without overlaying text), and then eventually to quietly remove the wordmark so that the circles would stand alone. If that was the plan all along, it worked.

Archived