National Premier Soccer League redesign (Club Atletico Saint Louis 5/8-6/14)

Pulv!

The National Premier Soccer League, commonly known as NPLS, is the fourth tier of the US soccer pyramid. It is together a regional and a national league, meaning it is divided in 4 regions (Northestern, South, Midwest, Western) that represent the whole country. It takes place in the summer months, so they can draw players from NCAA soccer.

I quite like their new logo, so I designed coordinated logos for the 4 regions and 13 conferences.

East Region

North Atlantic Conference

Brooklyn Italians

Boston City FC

Greater Lowell Rough Diamonds

Hartford City FC

Kingston Stockade FC

New York Cosmos B

New York Athletic Club

Rhode Island Reds FC

Keystone Conference

Atlantic City FC

Electric City Shock SC

FC Monmouth

FC Morristown

Hershey FC

Philadelphia Lone Star FC

Torch FC

West Chester United SC

Mid-Atlantic Conference

Charlottesville Alliance FC

FC Frederick

FC Baltimore Christos

Northern Virginia United FC

Virginia Beach City FC

Southeast Conference

Gerogia Revolution FC

Inter Nashville FC

LSA Athletico Lanier

Metro Louisville FC

Nashville United

South Region

Heratland Conference

Club Atletico Saint Louis

Dallas City FC

Oklahoma City 1889 FC

Reign Football Klub

Tulsa Athletic

Sunshine Conference

Boca Raton FC

Central Florida Panthers SC

Miami Dutch Lions FC

Miami United FC

Naples United FC

Storm FC

Gulf Coast Conference

Midwest Region

Rust Belt Conference

Great Lakes Conference

North Conference

West Region

Lone Star Conference

Golden Gate Conference

Northwest Conference

Southwest Conference

The four regions have different stars positioning to represent the geographical positon, but they are always 4, as the regions.

32805871278_5783ce4183_o.png

The conference logos have a similar appearance, with only a different crest shape. Of the 4 ever present stars one is red, representing which region the conference is in.

North Atlantic and Mid Atlantic have a wavy top and bottom to represent the ocean

Keystone, as Pennsylvania is known as the keystone state

32805871528_44673df9f3_o.png

Heartland has a confederate vibe

Lone star is literally Texas

Sunshine has a Florida shape

Southeast has a flag shape, for all the pirates that had their coves on the south eastern coast.

32805871428_66f6247c75_o.png

East has ha waterfall side to represents the Niagara falls, real symbol of the area

Great lakes has 3 red stripes and two blue ones to represent the 5 major lakes.

North has a big star, representing the northen star guiding the path

32805871598_96754c8795_o.png

Golden gate, what to add...

Northwest, has a side shaped like an evergreen tree

Southwest, sun rays for the SoCal conference

31739346657_f11a357ba0_o.png

I designed the kit for the two diffent all-star teams of the league. The all-star game is actually called Rising Stars National Game in my redesign. Two regions will play against the other two regions; the couples will be decided by a draft on the game's eve, so every region sends the same number of all star players to enable every combination.

32805871748_3690b9a01a_o.png

32805871668_965ac0b37c_o.png

Hope you enjoy the concept. In the future I'll post the rebranding of all the 92 clubs in the league, but it will be a slow start, as I'm currently working on many other projects 😜

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the regions logos quite a bit, and the different logos for each conference is a really smart ideas ...

That said, it's hard to tell what the shapes are for some of the conferences. For example, the Southeast doesn't read as a flag at all and the Northwest doesn't feel like a tree.

Then some of the others feel very generic, like the Mid- and North Atlantic, and the North.

Some look really good (like Keystone, Sunshine, Golden Gate) but feel really separate (due to their higher quality) from the rest.

To fix that, I'd suggest maybe keeping the shape and star arrangement the same as the region logos, but move the soccer ball to on top of the shield, and add the unique elements to the center.

I'd recommend a map of the Great Lakes for that conference, the Little Dipper for the North, skyscrapers for the North Atlantic.

As for the Rising Stars, it looks fine as is, but I'd like to see each region with its own team in a mini-tournament! One dark gray, one blue, one red, and one white jersey should work fine.

There are some good ideas here; it just needs some rearrangements!

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed some of the conference logos

33076915988_86c74dd3a8_o.png

North Atlantic and Mid Atlantic have now a newly shaped wave pattern

33076915938_6ba184198a_o.png

Heartland wordmark got a new placement as did the Sunshine wordmark. For the Southeast I decided to go with Cape Hatteras lighthouse silhouette.

33076916058_833b8c7cf2_o.png

New North Star shape for the North conference.

33076915838_406ae07b78_o.png

Southwest conference wordmark got a new navy background to make it more visible on the sun rays. Northwest pine tree has been redesigned to look more the part and the upper part resembles now the northwestern-most part of the state of Washington.

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

• 2 weeks later...

Brooklyn Italians

Nickname: Italians

Home field: John Dewey High School, Brooklyn, New York City, NY 

Founded: 1949

Titles: 2 U.S. Open Cup, 2 National Soccer League New York, 2 German-American Soccer League, 5 Cosmopolitan Soccer League

Logo: I stayed with their current one as the new take on their traditional logo is absolutely awesome.

Kit: I pushed the italian feel a little more, adding many green and red hints.

32143864137_8846a250b0_o.png

32143864317_d1d6edcbee_o.png

For reference their actual kits:

brooklyn-italians-jersey-express-2014-rd2.jpg  1451327748419

the division logos are interesting, I liked how you took slight symbolism in them and I love the keystone reference of my home state my only concern is how some people may not like the Confederate feeling to the Heartland. It'd be different if it was for just Alabama or Florida as its similar to their flags but I'm assuming its for multiple states, but you do you. Brooklyn looks interesting. I look forward to keeping up

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

Kingston Stockade FC

Nickname: -

Home field: Dietz Stadium, Kingston, NY

Founded: 2015

Titles: 1 North Atlantic Conference Championship

Logo: I retained the actual logo design, but adding orange to make it pop more and to tie it with the dutch origin of Kingston and the Stockade.

Kit: I added a stockade pattern as featured on the crest, though for the clash kit I went with a more sublimated look, to underline more the orange, symbol of the dutch national team. 

46189878805_b85717b2c5_o.png

33228465968_6c3cf515c2_o.png

For reference their actual logo and kits

1448505655172KS_Home_Front_280x420.jpg?v=1525823642KS_Away_Front_280x420.jpg?v=1525823561

• 3 weeks later...

Boston City FC

Nickname: -

Home field: Donovan Field at Brother Gilbert Stadium, Malden, MA

Motto: "Of the People, By The People, For the People"

Titles: -

Logo: I used their current shield shape and skyline pattern for my logo, changing the rampant lion and eliminating once and for all the football that looked like it was just photoshopped on the logo.

Kit: The home kit is a nod to the USA national team popsicle look, the bold move is to invert the color scheme on the shorts. The clash kit is a reference to the New England Flag with the red and green scheme. A sublimated araldic lion was added to the jersey to remind the ride of being part of Boston City FC.

40327943423_95185fa9d1_o.png

46569344234_036e5a5b03_o.png

For reference their actual logo and kits:

Boston_city_fc_logo.pngHOME-KITY-2-2.pngAWAY-KIT-2.png

New York Cosmos B

Nickname: Cosmos B

Home field: Rocco B. Commisso Soccer Stadium, NYC, NY

Titles: 1 NPSL Championship, 2 NPSL regional titles, 3 NPSL conference titles

Logo: The New York Cosmos logo is iconic and has some history over its shoulders, so I decided to use it as it is, not even tweaking the stars on the ball that were added at the time of the first NASL.

Kit: I went with a navy main kit, with little nods to the tri color wave. The clash in in the traditional colors of white and green, with a sublimated wave.

47361384191_f4a9f8513f_o.png

47308628262_1480db756b_o.png

For reference their actual kits:

C7c6fjtXkAAyxVn.0.jpgnap_0658.jpg

Did Cosmos B ever wear that solid green Nike kit?

Isolating the motion lines is an interesting concept, but I don’t think it’s effective without the ball.  It’s not a “wave”, which probably could stand on its own, but is supposed to indicate the spin of a ball.  Like the grooves in Bond’s gun barrel. 

50-bond-gun-barrel-22.jpg

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It’s not a “wave”

I know I said wave, but it was for semplification's sake. I thought that those graphic signs were either the spin of the ball or a nod to something ''cosmic'' like the tail of a comet. Either way, I liked the idea to have it on its own, as I tried it with the ball and the jersey looks a lot messier (Messi... maybe it is not bad for a  soccer team 🤣). 

• 3 weeks later...

New York Athletic Club

Nickname: NYAC

Home field: New York Athletic Club Stadium, Pelham/New Rochelle, NY

Founded: 1868 (soccer club in 2008)

Titles:-

Logo: I revisited the old logo, modernising the winged foot and adding the stripes for a more football oriented crest. I also added gold to the color scheme to enhace the laurel wreath, to simbolise the history of NYAC.

Kit: The home kit has an Atletico Madrid vibe, with the red and white striping, but has an unique idetity with the addition of the golden trims. The clash is all on gold, simple in appearance to make the colour count more than the design, as gold represents all the olympic athletes that played in the many sports branches present in NYAC.

46792516614_439a130383_o.png

46600851015_f5ee3e076b_o.png

For reference their actual logo and kit (the one in red):

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGBFnvGou_Avf99GAx7iggetImage.gif?ID=3733411&maxwidth=460

That looks more like a university seal than a soccer badge.

I think you've got a good start here, but it needs some tweaking.  The laurel seems wholly unnecessary and your wingfoot should probably be the focus.

Also, are you married to those colors?  I would suggest blue and orange. The colors of NYCs flag as well as the Mets, Knicks, and Islanders.  They look great together and scream NYC.

8 hours ago, NicDB said:

That looks more like a university seal than a soccer badge.

I think you've got a good start here, but it needs some tweaking.  The laurel seems wholly unnecessary and your wingfoot should probably be the focus.

Also, are you married to those colors?  I would suggest blue and orange. The colors of NYCs flag as well as the Mets, Knicks, and Islanders.  They look great together and scream NYC.

The Wingfoots have always worn red.

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

are you married to those colors?  I would suggest blue and orange.

I'm trying to use as much as possible the original color scheme for every team, in case just adding new colors, so, New York traditional blue and orange could be good, but a big departure from the red jersey usually worn by the NYAC.

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

The laurel seems wholly unnecessary and your wingfoot should probably be the focus.

Maybe a bigger winged foot could upgrade the logo, I'll be working on it. The laurel is an homage to the history of the club and , yes, it looks like an academic thing more than a soccer badge, but in this way it looks a lot more like european soccer badges, as in many cases the teams were founded inside multisport associations exactly like the NYAC, at times with an academic background.

Archived