San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

Wouldn't kill me if they did, they probably feel it would set them apart from the Giants and Dodgers, but one white letter and one yellow letter isn't really setting my mind on fire.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unpopular opinion: I think the white/yellow monogram would be pretty sweet. White/yellow looked great on the navy hats. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Unpopular opinion: I think the white/yellow monogram would be pretty sweet. White/yellow looked great on the navy hats. 

I hated that feature of the hat.  In my opinion, the Padres best hat was the late 1980s brown with orange letters and I really hope they have a yellow-letter version of that.

I would not be surprised if they use both...the two-color either on the road or with a specific alt.  I could live with that...but I really want to see the basic hat with the yellow letters.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 6/2/2019 at 12:01 PM, SFGiants58 said:

A Schlitz bottle collection, a few pieces of Packers memorabilia, and a picture of “Saint” Al McGuire would complete the picture. The guy probably has his stories about fun times on Brady Street or messing up @illwauk‘s nights with a loud party near UWM. This man, of course, also has his tale about how he shared beers with a guy who pulled the blue barrels and pieces of viscera out of that one Oxford Apartment in 1991, but he only rattles it off after a few Spotted Cows. 

I probably passed out on that guy's porch a time or two during my days at UW-Mil! 😉

I really wish I had gone through with my "Dumb Guys of the Greater Midwest" thread concept. Waukesha County alone has like three types of Dumb Guy.

6 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Waukesha is an old Algonquin word meaning "Well what about black on black crime?"

The county flower is the six-lane divided highway!

You seem stressed. I saw a guy who was upset as you are outside a George Webb in Brookfield once. Except he wasn't talking to another person.

7 minutes ago, axiom20xx said:

...uniwatch does a piece on the new Padres uniforms today and you pale Milwaukee mother:censored:ers have to come in here dig up a quote from over a week ago???

tumblr_n7tjnqooqO1siipgno1_400.png

Granted, American Movie wasn't set in Milwaukee, but the location is close enough. It also applies to the Padres returning to brown!

11 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I still stand by my previous point from a previous Padres thread that they should have just kept the 2016 blue and gold and put "Padres" across the front.

That set was sharp!

I'd agree to a point... keep that set but change the navy to brown, and change the canary to a stronger yellow. Done. 

Padres2017Set.jpg

There's something so pleasing about that SD monogram that I honestly wouldn't mind it on all of the jerseys. They already have the "Padres" aspect covered by the return to brown, so why not?

On 6/10/2019 at 9:44 PM, OnWis97 said:

I really hope they don't go with a two-color SD logo.

I agree, that white S yellow D logo is really weak.  It doesn’t work as well as the white/orange or white/red combos of the old navy uniforms (1991 and PCL uniforms respectively). Brown cap with a yellow SD (I’d be ok with a yellow squatchee) and an alt hat with the yellow bell on the front (bonus points if they can get the bell to match the original 78-84 design). 

I would like to see them use all of these, and initiate a mix-and-match style, like the Pirates of the '70s did. I see 12 jerseys here, plus five different caps (I would add a sixth, brown with a gold bill and white letters). Throw in five different pants (white with and without piping, tan with and without piping, and brown), and there would be a nice assortment. 12×6×5 = 360 different combinations, more than two seasons' worth. What fun!

D0lXJR0XcAI3794.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived