San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

I don't know if it's the color combinations, the swoosh, or both, but all of those Padres jersey concepts feel like they're from college ball rather than MLB.

It's the placement of the swoosh. So ugly 

What happens with Petco Park? Obviously they wont replace the blue seats those are probably fine the way they are, but there's a lot of blue everywhere else in the stadium. Do you keep the outfield wall and batters eye blue or change to brown? Would be kind of weird to switch to brown and yellow but your stadium still be full of blue. I always liked the blue and sand color scheme because it matched the park so well.

1 hour ago, plobrien said:

What happens with Petco Park? Obviously they wont replace the blue seats those are probably fine the way they are, but there's a lot of blue everywhere else in the stadium. Do you keep the outfield wall and batters eye blue or change to brown? Would be kind of weird to switch to brown and yellow but your stadium still be full of blue. I always liked the blue and sand color scheme because it matched the park so well.

The Brewers wear blue and gold, yet Miller Park is predominantly green.  I don't think that's much of a problem.

14 hours ago, NicDB said:

The Brewers wear blue and gold, yet Miller Park is predominantly green.  I don't think that's much of a problem.

And yet that is one of the problems with Miller Park. WHY the bleep did they make it predominantly green for a team nicknamed 'True Blue Brew Crew'?

It's where I sit.

17 hours ago, plobrien said:

Didn't they have brown seats at Jack Murphy stadium long after they Pads changed from brown to blue? 

8 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Didn't they have brown seats at Jack Murphy stadium long after they Pads changed from brown to blue? 

From Google search, caption says "early 90s"...looks like 1991 with the Phillies' swirly P on right field wall:

spacer.png

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

And yet that is one of the problems with Miller Park. WHY the bleep did they make it predominantly green for a team nicknamed 'True Blue Brew Crew'?

One of the many things I hate about it.  There’s nothing about it to suggest the Brewers, or even Milwaukee. That soft sage green everywhere.  The lack of team logos.   All so carefully, deliberately neutral.

Navy seats would have been fine, even if they ended up changing the team color to royal.   Don’t know why they felt compelled to avoid anything resembling team colors.

For the Brewers, I think it's just because green is kind of the default seating and wall colour for baseball stadiums.

I don't think it's much of a problem for the Padres brown to not match the seating/wall. Plenty of teams, if not most, don't play in a stadium where the seating/walls aren't team colours.

IbjBaeE.png

31 minutes ago, McGlinchey23 said:

The Brewers wore green one year before Miller Park opened. Maybe that had to do with it

I really don’t think so. 

1. The Brewers wore dark green, not sage; and;

2. it was from 1994 through the closing of County Stadium.  Or what they thought would be the closing of County Stadium,  

It doesn’t make sense that they would add green to the stadium because it was a team color when they were also eliminating a different shade of green as a team color at the exact same time. 

This may sound counter-intuitive from someone who cares enough about sports branding to part of a forum like this, but I honestly find the lack of team-specific branding at Miller Park refreshing. I've always liked that about Lambeau Field too.

The Cubs wear Cubby Blue, but Wrigley Field is incredibly green. The ivy (of course), but also the seats and the scoreboard. Even the new video boards have a default green background.

I've never once sat at Wrigley and thought 'Damn, I wish the seats were blue.'

The seats at Camden Yards have been green since Day One.  Green was only a team color to the extent it was part of the background of the primary logo (as part of a baseball diamond).

Bottom line -- dark green is more or less the default retro seat color, which is most likely why the seats at Miller Park are green.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived