San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

23 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

While rappers may generally be referring to the entire scope of 5959's when using the term "fitteds", I think it goes without saying that the official team caps are the gold standard of that line.. sure, rappers may be seen with the occasional fashion cap, or even a nice standard team logo cap from the NBA or NFL, but again, the official MLB team caps are historically the standard - if for no other reason than to "rep" their hometown.. 

Exactly.  I mean, does anybody seriously doubt that New Era and MLB play up the "official on field" angle in their promotions?

maxresdefault.jpg

usa_today_12937742.0.jpg

Of course they do.  And there's a very good reason for that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Exactly.  I mean, does anybody seriously doubt that New Era and MLB play up the "official on field" angle in their promotions?

maxresdefault.jpg

usa_today_12937742.0.jpg

That can't possibly be because New Era and the MLB understand marketing and know which of their products sell, and why they sell... No way would they try to make more money by playing to their strengths.. I don't believe it

5 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

If the lyrics said "a Yankee hat", I'd agree with you.. but they very clearly say "THE Yankee hat".. 

There's only one THE Yankee hat.

But when there are hundreds of pictures that show him not wearing “the” Yankee cap but fashion caps that shows that he made “the” original more famous through his use of the fashion caps.

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

But when there are hundreds of pictures that show him not wearing “the” Yankee cap but fashion caps that shows that he made “the” original more famous through his use of the fashion caps.

I just googled "Jay-Z Yankees hat" and clicked "images", and literally 23 of the first 25 images were THE Yankee hat.. 1 had an alternate fashion bill (with THE Yankee crown) and the other was all-black.. Jay-Z may wear several other versions, but he has become synonymous with THE Yankee hat

4 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I just googled "Jay-Z Yankees hat" and clicked "images", and literally 23 of the first 25 images were THE Yankee hat.. 1 had an alternate fashion bill (with THE Yankee crown) and the other was all-black.. Jay-Z may wear several other versions, but he has become synonymous with THE Yankee hat

Well regardless, in urban neighborhoods onfield caps aren’t what are viewed as most valulable but instead finding something that is unique. Hell even a SnapBack with a unique color way or application is viewed better than an on field because everyone has one of those.

I for one am excited for Indiana Jones and the Legend of THE Lost Yankees Hat.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

16 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Off topic a bit but care to share? There are certainly some grays that are quite well done, but I'm not sure if any are my personal favorite in their respective sets.

Not current, but . . .

spacer.png 

is better than . . . 

spacer.png

The home uniform in that set had way too much black in my humble opinion (including the name and number on the back).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Similarly...i.e. not current...this is the best gray jersey the Rockies have ever worn (no black, no silver, just purple and white, and gray):

castilla_bichette020115.jpg

Was it better than the homes? Homertively no, objectively yes. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, dont care said:

Well regardless, in urban neighborhoods onfield caps aren’t what are viewed as most valulable but instead finding something that is unique. Hell even a SnapBack with a unique color way or application is viewed better than an on field because everyone has one of those.

[citation needed]

20 hours ago, daveindc said:

Who the heck would wear an O's cap other than an O's fan? 😁 

I think the type of fan who wants an authentic cap isn't the same type of fan who worries about how flashy it is.

O is actually my second favorite vowel, and i'm sure there are dozens just like me. 

When I was in high school in the late 90s, some guy had a red Yankees cap and I thought it was SO COOL.

At that time, my cap of choice was a New Era Expos hat, so I knew what was up.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, WavePunter said:

While rappers may generally be referring to the entire scope of 5959's when using the term "fitteds", I think it goes without saying that the official team caps are the gold standard of that line.. sure, rappers may be seen with the occasional fashion cap, or even a nice standard team logo cap from the NBA or NFL, but again, the official MLB team caps are historically the standard - if for no other reason than to "rep" their hometown.. 

Also, that segment of consumers doesn't particularly need to exist at all, as long as we have the more universal (usually navy or black) options available.. with boring standard options like the Braves' and Indians' all-navy caps, people don't have to address the "too flashy" issue, since non-flashy authentics exist for them to choose from..

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

maxresdefault.jpg

usa_today_12937742.0.jpg

Nobody is denying the value of authentic gear. That's not the point in this discussion.

The point here is that no "White guys in their 40s" who need something less flashy are going to worry about it being authentic or not. Fashion caps have been popular for years already. There's no need for teams to tailor their whole look based on people's casual wear in 2019. Maybe that was true 20+ years ago, but not today. 

So you say. 

MLB, manufacturers, retailers and their whole army of consultants say different. 

Now I agree with you that teams shouldn’t base their on-field looks around what pairs well with casual clothes.  But it’s hard to argue what they’re actually doing. 

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So you say. 

MLB, manufacturers, retailers and their whole army of consultants say different. 

Now I agree with you that teams shouldn’t base their on-field looks around what pairs well with casual clothes.  But it’s hard to argue what they’re actually doing. 

[citation needed] (from the last 20 years)

Archived