San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Can they wear the brown tops at home with white pants? I think I'd love them more if they weren't paired with what looks like khaki pants. And with white pants it would at least match with that useless white trim around the wordmark. 

Per Uni Watch, it doesn’t sound like that will happen just yet. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Fair but it shouldn’t be completely discounted either, IMO. 

Of course it should.  Moreover, it must

You should never confuse the people here on this message board for a representative group of the general population. We aren’t; we’re a tiny, self-selected niche group.  Nor are Internet comment sections representative of anything but the handful or people who participate.  Ditto for Twitter, Instagram, Facebook.  The people who contribute are but a tiny fraction of the general population. Loud, to be sure, but tiny. 

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Of course it should.  Moreover, it must

You should never confuse the people here on this message board for a representative group of the general population. We aren’t; we’re a tiny, self-selected niche group.  Nor are Internet comment sections representative of anything but the handful or people who participate.  Ditto for Twitter, Instagram, Facebook.  The people who contribute are but a tiny fraction of the general population.  Loud, but tiny. 

But if you’re looking to get an idea of how the fans feel, it would be a legitimate source for information. Not the only source you’d look at but a legitimate one. Therefore it should not be discounted. 

10 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

But if you’re looking to get an idea of how the fans feel, it would be a legitimate source for information.

No, it isn’t.  You can’t extrapolate out from those extremely tiny numbers.  Five vocal people can dominate a comment section, even if they’re the only five people in the world who share that particular view. 

I say that even though I can find plenty of web polls that back up my own preferences; they just don’t mean anything. 

Not the only source you’d look at but a legitimate one. Therefore it should not be discounted. 

But it isn’t legitimate.  Real polls are weighted and factored, and you can extrapolate out from them. Those have meaning.  Web polls don’t.  And comment sections?  Those have even less credibility.

We get in these online echo chambers and start to think that what we hear is significant and meaningful.  But it really isn’t, it’s just noise.  Not even accounting for the troll factor.

I’m not saying that people in San Diego don’t feel that way, only that Internet comments don’t tell us anything one way or the other. 

No Internet comment section should ever be taken seriously.

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

No, it isn’t.  You can’t extrapolate out from those extremely tiny numbers.  Five vocal people can dominate a comment section, even if they’re the only five people in the world who share that particular view. 

I say that even though I can find plenty of web polls that back up my own preferences; they just don’t mean anything. 

But it isn’t legitimate.  Real polls are weighted and factored, and you can extrapolate out from them. Those have meaning.  Web polls don’t.  And comment sections?  Those have even less credibility.

We get in these online echo chambers and start to think that what we hear is significant and meaningful.  But it really isn’t, it’s just noise.  Not even accounting for the troll factor.

I’m not saying that people in San Diego don’t feel that way, only that Internet comments don’t tell us anything one way or the other. 

Of course if that were taken to heart the #BringBackThe Brown campaign wouldn’t have got off the ground. Sites like Gaslampball were big drivers of it in the early stages.

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:

Of course if that were taken to heart the #BringBackThe Brown campaign wouldn’t have got off the ground. Sites like Gaslampball were big drivers of it in the early stages.

Yeah but that didn't convince the team. They only committed to brown after extensive focus group testing proved that it was the choice most Padres fans wanted. 

Which proves @Gothamite's point on the need to properly survey fans and not take social media as gospel. 

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Sure it should be considered seriously. It is the method that fans have the greatest access to voice opinions and ask questions. If they were not legitimate avenues, teams and leagues would not invest in social media teams to present to and respond to fans. Now I do agree it doesn’t give the best reading of an opinion on a topic because social media is not always a great cross section of age, race, gender, socio-economic status etc.. That’s where further polling and outreach take over. That’s why I said it is not the only source that would be considered. We’ll have to disagree that it is not a legitimate source. Social media has become the primary communication platform for teams and fans. 

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Honestly, I think that, given how many unique individuals we have on here, these boards on the whole could be considered a representative sample of technologically savvy people with an interest in sports aesthetics. That's a very specific and narrow subset of society, and I don't think most individual threads (such as this one) have enough unique posters to qualify as a sample - just the boards as a whole.

So, there is some semblance of statistical significance (three times fast, please) on this site, but it would be a stretch to say that one discussion provides that, unless around a thousand people contribute.

11 hours ago, insert name said:

It’s great! Almost perfect in fact. I do have some nitpicks (of course). 

They could use numbers in front. Jersey would benefit greatly with that.

This might just be me but does PADRES look big? 

So far we’re 2 for 2 in the Nike era. Might be because it’s just a manufacture logo swap so far. 

1.  I think PADRES looks really good in the size that it is.  It's definitely a little bigger than what you'd expect, but I think that adds a little flair to what is otherwise a kinda plain-ish style.  I'm a fan.

2.  NIKE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS.  NOTHING.  We're not "2 for 2" in the Nike era.  Nike had no part in this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

2.  NIKE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS.  NOTHING.  We're not "2 for 2" in the Nike era.  Nike had no part in this.

Wow, it's almost like teams are the driving forces behind most poor logo/uniform decisions and Nike isn't the awful, uniform-ruining, tradition-shattering company people here make it out to be. Crazy, right?

That said, the Padres. Look. AMAZING. The pinstripe homes are beautiful, the sand-colored roads look awesome, and I was right in saying that a team would designate a colored road this year (I guessed the Marlins, but hey, I got most of it right). Every aspect of this rebrand they nailed, which is crazy to hear. Props to the Padres for making this return to brown and gold work beautifully.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 minute ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Wow, it's almost like teams are the driving forces behind most poor logo/uniform decisions and Nike isn't the awful, uniform-ruining, tradition-shattering company people here make it out to be. Crazy, right

Pretty much.  We know that in NFL and NBA, teams lean on Nike's design services quite a bit, and often defer to what they feel is best, since a lot of the teams seem to simply not care.  I'm sure Majestic had a creative-services department (I mean, someone designs the t-shirts and other stuff they sell) but I'm not sure how many - if any - teams leveraged it for their on-field looks.  I'm pretty sure most MLB teams do that work in-house or contract guys like Radom or similar firms.

At the end of the day, the team is always responsible.  Nike can do their worst, but if the team greenlights the final design, that's on them.  In this case, all Nike is doing is slapping their swoosh on someone else's design that's sewn on someone else's fabric.  It's nothing but an ad patch - in no way different than the GE patch that the Celtics wear.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 11/8/2019 at 1:30 PM, zoogs44 said:

Hmmmmm  maybe the Yankees were trying to be like the Cubs??

The Chicago Cubs' baseball uniforms have had pinstripes since 1907 and they are recognized as the first Major League Baseball team to incorporate pin-striping into a baseball uniform[4] Many other former and current Major League Baseball teams—including the Florida Marlins,  Minnesota Twins, Montreal Expos, Colorado Rockies, New York Mets, New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox and Philadelphia Phillies—later adopted pinstripes on their own uniforms. 

The Yankees first wore pinstripes in 1912 and every year since 1915.  There are plenty of examples of other teams in pinstripes, but not for over 100 years straight.  Chicago wore pinstripes on their road uniforms in 1907, but there were plenty of years in the 1910s, 20s, and '34-'56 when they didn't.  Pinstripes became more synonymous with NY because of their success.

While I'm not a fan of the GI Joe dress up trend in sports, I have to admit the Padres have made camo alts their thing and have a reasonably salient motive for doing it.

If I could move forward knowing the Padres alts were the only time we'd ever see a military themed uniform, I'd be more than happy.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yeah but that didn't convince the team. They only committed to brown after extensive focus group testing proved that it was the choice most Padres fans wanted. 

Which proves @Gothamite's point on the need to properly survey fans and not take social media as gospel. 

Actually their focus groups proved that it had the most support of any single color combo, but not most Padres fans. What convinced them was the passion those that wanted brown and yellow had. 

14 hours ago, larrypep said:

They showed a five minute video before the show started, and Fowler said these are the uniforms they plan on wearing for a long time and the ones they will be remembered for after their championship. 

It’ll be a loooonnnnggggg time before they win a championship

Archived