San Diego Padres 2020 Rebrand Discussion

Gothamite

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

vn5KXBHl.jpg

SO close. So very close.

Credit where credit is due. They nailed the palette. The shades of brown, yellow and sand are absolutely perfect. The customized alphanumeric font is also terrific.

On the home uniform, they needed to make a choice between pinstripes and piping. One or the other. In my opinion, opting for pinstripes is a perfectly reasonable choice for the Padres, as the team has worn them in 17 previous seasons - a third of their existence. That said, adding the piping around the collar and sleeve ends strikes me as being overkill - an unnecessary design flourish on an already distinctive uniform. As for the PADRES word mark, it could stand to be made a bit smaller, but its not a deal-breaker as is.

The road uniform? Well, for starters, it should be the alternate. I'm a traditionalist who absolutely loathes the move that professional baseball teams have made towards elevating the wearing of what amount to being batting practice jerseys as their primary road uniforms. As for the design of this uniform's jersey, I'd lose the white outline around the SAN DIEGO word mark and the player names and numbers. As others have said, there's more than enough contrast between the rich, deep brown of the jersey and the vibrant yellow of the letters and numbers. As for the piping on the jersey and pants of this uniform set, either lose the yellow piping on the top and retain the brown piping on the pants leg, or retain the yellow piping on the top and eliminate the brown stripe on the pants. As it stands now, I can't stand that the piping color on the two uniform components don't match in this set. Personally, I'd lose the yellow piping on the jersey and keep the brown striping down the pants leg. I don't believe that the piping should be eliminated from both the jersey and pants as that would make for a rather bland uniform that resembled a brown polo shirt being worn with a pair of khakis.

Finally, my thoughts on the alternate. It should be the go-to road uniform. As for this uniform's design, like the home set, a choice needs to be made between pinstripes and piping. I think that these road pinstripes without the piping would make for a perfect road uniform for the Padres. I also think that if the pinstripes were removed from this Padres road uniform, and the brown/yellow piping of the jersey collar and sleeves were added to the legs of the pants, that would make for just as distinctive a road uniform. I will say that if the Padres opted to eliminate pinstripes from the road uniforms in favor of just the brown/yellow piping, then said sand pants with piping should be paired with the plain brown jersey in the alternate road unis.

All of that said, these uniforms do mark a significant improvement for the San Diego Padres' look.                        

Here’s a pic of the new alt military cap paired with the Marine Corps camo.  I don’t think this is the new camo they will be debuting later, this is simply the Marine Corp version redone with the new wordmark (and swoosh).  The manager at the Padres Store at Petco Park said there will be another jersey debuting soon to replace the blue camo. He stated he “was not at liberty to say what it looks like” but added it would also be paired with the new alt cap but in his opinion, “might not be a good match together” though he admitted he did not see it paired together on a mannequin like the other uniforms were. 

spacer.png

57 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I'm a traditionalist who absolutely loathes the move that professional baseball teams have made towards elevating the wearing of what amount to being batting practice jerseys as their primary road uniforms.

I was a fan in the 80s and it didn't seem to be an issue back then when the Cubs, Indians, Mets, Athletics, Pirates, Padres, Giants and Rangers all used a colored road jersey

1 hour ago, dont care said:

It’ll be a loooonnnnggggg time before they win a championship

Teams have waited for far longer. We're in for the long haul.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

17 minutes ago, BigEd76 said:

I was a fan in the 80s and it didn't seem to be an issue back then when the Cubs, Indians, Mets, Athletics, Pirates, Padres, Giants and Rangers all used a colored road jersey

We exited baseball aesthetics' dark night of the soul circa 1993 when the last of the powder blues and pullovers were retired. From there, we should be sticking to buttoned white/grey orthodoxy but some teams have to ruin it, I guess. We even have teams re-installing plastic grass. It's a real problem.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Actually their focus groups proved that it had the most support of any single color combo, but not most Padres fans. What convinced them was the passion those that wanted brown and yellow had. 

No, it wasn't. People online had been demanding brown for years. They didn't do anything about it until those focus groups indicated that brown was the way to go. 

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

On the home uniform, they needed to make a choice between pinstripes and piping.

People keep saying this, but I don't see it. I think they work well together here 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, the admiral said:

We exited baseball aesthetics' dark night of the soul circa 1993 when the last of the powder blues and pullovers were retired. From there, we should be sticking to buttoned white/grey orthodoxy but some teams have to ruin it, I guess. We even have teams re-installing plastic grass. It's a real problem.

Eh, we have shake-ups every once every generation or so, as is the nature with fashion. Besides, it's not like the carpet-over-concrete or proper pullovers/sansabelt pants are back, so we're relatively fine.

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

As I've said before, I'm tired of the 2004 font sticking around through redesigns and recolors -- go back to the drawing board once, please.

I've think they've done enough to fix the problems of PetcoPark.ttf. The line weights and consistent flare serifs are all upgrades, while the mission bell "A" is a fantastic choice. The wordmark size is a bit too large for my liking, but it's fine. 

I do wish that they'd done up a new font or tried to create a cursive script "Padres" for an alternate or outerwear (for some PCL inspiration), but I'm guessing that's down the pipeline for an alternate.

Again, I point out that piping with pinstripes was a very common look in the Pacific Coast League. With the Padres being one of only two teams who are named in tribute to the original PCL, it makes total sense for them to do this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The font is definitely improved, but I think it's just a bugbear of mine from, like I said, years of board concepts that were just recoloring the shampoo script and the bowtie into brown and gold. There were a lot, and that soured me on the remnants of the 2004 redesign (which, for the most part, I did like, and could have lived with as the terminal Padres set until they messed with it too much and it fell apart). 

I still object to artificial grass in any form.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

50 minutes ago, the admiral said:

We exited baseball aesthetics' dark night of the soul circa 1993 when the last of the powder blues and pullovers were retired.

lNUh0uV.gif

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I still want the Giants to wear a Seals jersey at least once a year. Heck, I've sort of wished that the Giants and Dodgers became the Seals and Angels upon moving, with the 1961 AL expansion team being the Stars (Hollywood-style, not stellar-style). 

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

The font is definitely improved, but I think it's just a bugbear of mine from, like I said, years of board concepts that were just recoloring the shampoo script and the bowtie into brown and gold. There were a lot, and that soured me on the remnants of the 2004 redesign (which, for the most part, I did like, and could have lived with as the terminal Padres set until they messed with it too much and it fell apart). 

No f-ing kidding! I'm pretty thoroughly tired of all of those recoloring concepts, especially since 17 year-old me was guilty of it as well. The whole endeavor struck me as somebody not properly understanding the purpose behind the design and why recoloring it doesn't work. It's like when you try to reskin a character in a fighting game.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yikes.

It's like how people will be like "I'll just put the shooting stripes pattern above the radially arched 'ASTROS' wordmark, and that totally works!" It really frustrates me, to the point where I've helped people with Space Age-style fonts to alleviate this problem.

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

I still object to artificial grass in any form.

That's fair.

1 hour ago, larrypep said:

Here’s a pic of the new alt military cap paired with the Marine Corps camo.  I don’t think this is the new camo they will be debuting later, this is simply the Marine Corp version redone with the new wordmark (and swoosh).  The manager at the Padres Store at Petco Park said there will be another jersey debuting soon to replace the blue camo. He stated he “was not at liberty to say what it looks like” but added it would also be paired with the new alt cap but in his opinion, “might not be a good match together” though he admitted he did not see it paired together on a mannequin like the other uniforms were. 

spacer.png

Went by the Padres store today and I’d bet my youngest child the other camo is the Navy’s new green digital camo pattern. They have it along with the marine one above on a bunch of merch like magnets and beer coozies. And it features the Padres word mark in the exact color of the secondary cap above (that sandy brown color). 

So just to get an idea how much the brown has changed from the historic browns many people including myself disliked, here’s the 2020 cap next to an ‘85 style. Much darker, richer brown, that is definitely not mistakable for black in person. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, it wasn't. People online had been demanding brown for years. They didn't do anything about it until those focus groups indicated that brown was the way to go. 

People keep saying this, but I don't see it. I think they work well together here 🤷‍♂️

Yes and it was the passion of the brown lovers in the focus groups that put them over the top, not the volume of them since no look had anywhere near a majority popularity. 

Also of note from my trip to the team store is how thoroughly they’ve embraced brown at the Padres team store. They’ve pretty much scoured the blue from the store except for the ‘91 style caps, jerseys, t shirts, warmups, etc... which have actually seen an uptick in placement in the store from last season. I’d not be surprised to see the ‘91’s show up this season on a throwback Wednesday or two. But other than ‘91 style and a few of the block S PCL throwbacks there’s almost nothing left. If you want a ‘04-‘19 style cap, uni or anything from that era you’ll have to look elsewhere. 

Archived